Sota Yamamoto | Page 79 | Golden Skate

Sota Yamamoto

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Sota's interview after SP:

Q: Your debut at the World Championships, how do you feel about your short program?
S: Well, let me see, I think I showed my weakness in the short program today again. I was aiming to do as I practiced, but I couldn't get it right.

Q: But even so, you showed a really beautiful performance. How did you feel when you stood on the rink for this World Championships in Japan, which you had been aiming for?

S: Well, this season has been a season of great growth for me, to finally reach my goal of Worlds, and I was really looking forward to it, but I think the difficulty and inexperience of the first time came out today, so I hope to switch my mind to the free competition and do my best again.

Q: How did you feel about the atmosphere at the venue of the event in Japan?
S: Well, I received a lot of cheers, as it has been a long time since the audience were allowed to cheer aloud for skaters, and I was able to make it through the 6-minute warm-up, which turned out to be very difficult for me. But I heard voices saying "ganbare (hang in there)" from various places, so I really think that I was able to make it today thanks to everyone's support.

Q: What exactly did you mean by "difficult preparation" in the 6-minute warm-up?
S: Well, I think I didn't really get many things right, so I hope I can go all out in the free skate the day after tomorrow, without getting too stressed out.

Q: I am looking forward to it.
S: Thank you very much.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Quick quote from FS day

Sota Yamamoto (JPN) 2022 GP Final silver medalist
I was able to achieve a lot of experience from this World Championships. This will definitely lead to my growth as a skater so I want to take this learning experience with me for the next season and come back stronger to Worlds. (changing his planned triple flip+double Axel+SEQ to triple flip+triple toe combo) I made some mistakes in the first half of the program so I was thinking about where I could recover as I was skating, so I was calm and I know changing the 3F+2A to 3F+3T has only a little bit of a difference, but I wanted to raise my score as much as I could, so I’m happy I could add the triple toe even after my triple flip was a little stuck. I had a disappointing season last year so I worked really hard coming into this season. I did have some mistakes here but looking back at this season I felt my growth. This season ended with a little regret, but I will definitely work harder and come back stronger.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Sota's very first WC, or baptism by fire.

Sota put up a fight, but it was a struggle and it wasn't enough to crack the top 12. Why was it a struggle? Because it was held in Japan, and he always, always messes up big events held in Japan. It must be some sort of mental block. Nationals, WC, and I'm pretty sure if GPF had been held in Japan, he would not have scored his personal best. All who follow Sota's career and have two eyes on their heads see that. Even those who aren't Sota's fans are starting to notice. JSF should have known that. If they were hoping for a miracle, it didn't happen. It's like I thought at the beginning: he shouldn't have been put in this -for him- highly stressful environment, and shouldn't have been hyped in the media. I wished for 4CC for him, and I bet my purse he'd have done much, much better there, away from Japan. See Universiade in the US: SP over 100, total score over 270. So it's not about peaking too early.

For comparison: Sota's score here, where he was at his worst due to panic and stress, would make him #6 at 4CC, which would give him much needed WS points.
Of course, Sota's low placement means he's lost the right to 2 GP events. He'll have one granted by his SB which should be in the top 12 (I hope), but to get his 2nd GP assignment, if no host country wants him, he'll be back to competing in test skates for NHK TBD spot.

Hoping for a calmer season from Sota next year. He's getting there, little by little. I hope JSF's experiment doesn't damage Sota's self-confidence heading into next season. He needs to be patient, and get programs with better music and choreo next year. Now that he's discarding both, I can finally write my honest impression, which is that only his beautiful skating was saving and helping these programs. Programs should complement a skater, or even save their skating. But this FS did the exact opposite IMO. I'll be happy to see it gone, hopefully replaced by something that's not upbeat like Dark Eyes, or another wailing tune without buildup like Dragon or this Rachmaninov.

Take a good long rest, Sota, learn from this disappointment, and work patiently on next season's preparation and programs. It didn't work this time, but next year, WC will be in another location, and if you make it there, you'll be able to breathe much more freely, you'll see. And there'll still be other opportunities to shine... especially if JSF comes to their senses and renews Challenger assignments for all of their top 10.

Last edited:

KiraraChin

Medalist
My heart goes out to Sota who is probably really frustrated that he couldn't show his full potential at Worlds. I hope he remembers what a wonderful season he had, and how much he touched the heart of many fans.

Having said that, I agree with surimi re: his programmes. For me, there has been a clear strategy from his team to make the composition of his programmes to prioritise the technical aspect of his skating, with flat music and relatively empty choreo which helped him to focus and conserve his stamina for the jumps. This is a valid strategy but has one weakness, which is if the jumps for some reason don't work, there's no place to hide so to speak, and the programme doesn't really work. So I hope they re-assess this and go for a more balanced direction since Sota has amazing skills and could be doing more choreo-wise. Also, I read that he'll be aiming to incorporate more types of quads, so I'm hoping he does it safely :pray:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I felt really unhappy for Sota but there's programmes and programmes. Shun isn't the most expressive skater either was able to include a wonderful interpretation of a Flamenco (and I think Spanish people would be the first to agree that Flamenco is not just clapping and turning), Kazuki thrives on Japanese crowds (all crowds really) so he can skate to anything, Shoma is Shoma and can turn any programme into something artistic, but Sota needs something that fits him, and not a too strong focus on technical things. He can do that but as we have now seen, many others can make mistakes but still get high scores because of the interpretation of their programme. I was glad to see Sota anyway, this season and I hope something better can be found for you.

Last edited:

yesterday

Record Breaker
9.webp

surimi

Record Breaker
Article about Sota and Kazuki going to a ramen restaurant to review the season after men's FS: https://www.nikkansports.com/premiu...m_medium=social&utm_campaign=nikkansports_ogp
It probably also contains the episode about Sota thanking Kazuki and asking him to do his best when he himself couldn't - but we won't know for sure, because -you guessed it- it's behind a paywall. :rolleyes:

I am hopeful that being #15 in the WS now can guarantee Sota two GP events next season. :pray: I'm relieved there are points for 15th placement at WC.
Sota's debut at WC wasn't as strong as his previous results, but then, this season has been very long, and if I'm not mistaken, it's his first season with so many competitions. Also, not only would his result at WC land him in the top 6 at last month's 4CC, but he placed better than Keiji did at his first WC (19th). And that's after two seasons of 4CC assignments, whereas Sota has experienced no big championship prior to this WC. Considering that, he didn't do poorly at all! Add to that three scores over 270 (Universiade, GPF, domestic Minato Trophy), three medals from GP, and no worse total placement than #2 at all events except Nationals and WC. Good job! 💐 💪

Shared thank you from Sota and Kazuki:

Yes, JSF, keep them together like the buddies they are! :coffee: Sota says it was his first WC and although he was very nervous, he had two fellow skaters here and was chasing after them, which helped him. (I'm amazed I was able to understand practically everything! that's a first for me!)

Last edited:

KiraraChin

Medalist
I am hopeful that being #15 in the WS now can guarantee Sota two GP events next season. :pray: I'm relieved there are points for 15th placement at WC.
Sota's debut at WC wasn't as strong as his previous results, but then, this season has been very long, and if I'm not mistaken, it's his first season with so many competitions. Also, not only would his result at WC land him in the top 6 at last month's 4CC, but he placed better than Keiji did at his first WC (19th). And that's after two seasons of 4CC assignments, whereas Sota has experienced no big championship prior to this WC. Considering that, he didn't do poorly at all! Add to that three scores over 270 (Universiade, GPF, domestic Minato Trophy), three medals from GP, and no worse total placement than #2 at all events except Nationals and WC. Good job! 💐 💪
I agree, I hope Sota is proud of himself! Considering the his high SB and world standing, and the fact that he is reigning GPF silver medallist, I have no doubt he'll have two GP spots next season 🔥

surimi

Record Breaker
Interesting statistics about the wait time for the first senior GP medal (Sota is #6):

Also, looks like Kazuki uploaded an IG story featuring him and Sota at a rehearsal (I'm guessing for Stars On Ice?). (I'm not on IG so cannot view it.)

surimi

Record Breaker
Sota is now assigned to three shows! Fantasy On Ice invited him too ✨
Here's a fan's tweet for easy orientation when and where we can see Sota (including the onsen club online meeting):

Sota is going to be a busy boy! I'm happy for him. He's one of a very few elite Japanese boys still waiting for a sponsor, and having shows will help him with training / new program costs.

surimi

Record Breaker
The new Quadruple is going to feature an interview of Sota and Kazuki:

I wish I could read Japanese!
Lots of other interesting stuff there, too - Mitsuki, Taichiro, Keiji...

A brief mixed video cut of Stars On Ice cast and their daily routines:

I wonder what music he's going to pick for the next season! Opinions, preferences, guys? Personally, I'd love to see something Latin/Spanish again (but please no slow whiny tangos) as the new Poeta was a huge success with the audience. (I wish I could have seen it!) Also, some skateable Jpop or dynamic/dramatic Japanese music would be great. Or something from a drama, musical, a classic piece (no violin, no cover version please)... I hope he stays far away from various La La Lands, Bohemian Rhapsodies, Elvises and Aznavours, and especially music that suits Kazuki and Yuzuru. Those boys are his polar opposites, Kazuki even more so.

yesterday

Record Breaker
The new Quadruple is going to feature an interview of Sota and Kazuki:

I wish I could read Japanese!
Lots of other interesting stuff there, too - Mitsuki, Taichiro, Keiji...

A brief mixed video cut of Stars On Ice cast and their daily routines:

I wonder what music he's going to pick for the next season! Opinions, preferences, guys? Personally, I'd love to see something Latin/Spanish again (but please no slow whiny tangos) as the new Poeta was a huge success with the audience. (I wish I could have seen it!) Also, some skateable Jpop or dynamic/dramatic Japanese music would be great. Or something from a drama, musical, a classic piece (no violin, no cover version please)... I hope he stays far away from various La La Lands, Bohemian Rhapsodies, Elvises and Aznavours, and especially music that suits Kazuki and Yuzuru. Those boys are his polar opposites, Kazuki even more so.

at 0:50, what are the three weating?