Stefania Berton breaks her silence | Golden Skate

Stefania Berton breaks her silence

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

So, Stefania found out about the split the same way as we did - through the media.

Well, considering that Ondrej didn't have the courtesy to tell her that he was looking elsewhere, I think Stefi has been very dignified through all this. First of all in keeping silent, when she could easily have gone straight to the press slagging him off. And then, when it did get to the stage that she had to make a statement, by being so dignified in what she said.

I have always had a soft spot for the Czechs as a people, and I always liked Ondrej when he was partnering Steffi. But he has really gone down in my estimations now.

All the best to Steffi in finding a new partner. And much as I love Vale and want her to do well, I hope that Steffi and her new partner whip Ondrej's backside and show him what he's missing out on!

CaroLiza_fan

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Stefania does break her silence but gives no reason other than that it was "against her will." Sounds like Ondrej did the breaking up.

I am happy that she will continue to skate and is looking for a new partner. Wishing her the best!

Thanks for sharing!

Alba

Record Breaker
Stefania does break her silence but gives no reason other than that it was "against her will." Sounds like Ondrej did the breaking up.

I am happy that she will continue to skate and is looking for a new partner. Wishing her the best!

Thanks for sharing!

It was his decision so if anyone should talk about the reasons it's him.

TMC

Record Breaker
No, I think she is referring to Marchei's choice. She new before that he wanted to split with her.

Oh thanks, that is so good to know. I google translated that statement and got the impression she found out from the press....that would top even Katsalapov's efforts!

Alba

Record Breaker
Oh thanks, that is so good to know. I google translated that statement and got the impression she found out from the press....that would top even Katsalapov's efforts!

:biggrin:
No, Katsapalov got the podium this year. :biggrin:

Although, I must say that since this was Ondrej's will, I'm sure he and his coach had a plan B and that plan be was Marchei. So, maybe Stefania is talking about that as well.

LuisRollerArg

On the Ice
I love Valentina, but I don't see a great future in pairs for her... she is not flexible, and looks heavier than Stefania, and SHE IS 28, a little older for start a new discipline, she will be exposed a lot of injuries in her body... sad for Berton, it's horrible to end something in bad terms, I hate Ondrej now! :disagree:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Why is there so much dishonesty? It is better for the person who wants to split make it clear to their partner instead of going behind their back.
Its selfish.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I love Valentina, but I don't see a great future in pairs for her... she is not flexible, and looks heavier than Stefania, and SHE IS 28, a little older for start a new discipline, she will be exposed a lot of injuries in her body... sad for Berton, it's horrible to end something in bad terms, I hate Ondrej now! :disagree:

I don't hate him but I think it is an understatement to say that his decision is BIZARRE, especially since it sounds like Stefania had very little idea it was coming. I don't think he is a better skater/partner than her, at least not markedly so, and they could have advanced next year with all the shake-ups. I agree Marchei transferring to pairs at this juncture is bizarre and she is unlikely to do better than Stefania at it. Additionally, google lists Marcheis weight as 120 lbs. While I find that hard to believe, if true, she definitely will need to lose at least 10 to be viable as a pairs partner yes.

Alba

Record Breaker
I don't think he is a better skater/partner than her, at least not markedly so,

I agree. He obviously has jumps that she doesn't have, but as overall skater and artistry I find him to be dull, blank.
The beauty in that couple was her, at least IMO. I really do hope she can find a good partner although I think it's going to be very difficult.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Why is there so much dishonesty? It is better for the person who wants to split make it clear to their partner instead of going behind their back.

I totally agree. What's up with the partners of late? It must be something in the water... :no: I just don't understand. They were such a promising couple, looked great together, had that amazing lift, won a GP event last season, and especially now that S/S split they had a big chance to medal at European. Also, I wish the skaters who get an itch to do something low and underhand, took a moment to consider that their actions will ultimately reflect on their country.
Good luck, Stefania!

alebi

Medalist
Finally we have a real voice about this case. Some random remarks...

As an athlete member of the Italian Olympic Figure Skating Team and a member of the police sport's group Fiamme Azzurre, I believe it is necessary – besides morally right, especially under a personal point of view – to clarify...
We weren't so wrong to be a little angry considering we didn't get any explanation for 3 months... Even if, watching the situation, she wasn't the person who had to do it first. I hope someone else will feel the same moral desire :rolleye:

...has come to an end – although it has happened against my will
Now that it's official, I wonder which are the reasons. She didn't want to break and she was right because they were a very strong couple and any new couple will have a lot of difficulties to reach the same level, and if the new partner is Valentina who is "old" and have everything to learn... I really don't understand. Any technical explanation doesn't stand and I have never heard of any discord among them.

As for myself, I am an athlete on top of her potential and I am thus looking for a new partner
This is the worst part... So she's still looking for a new partner :cry: How is it that she's STILL alone?? I don't see any free partner at her level now..

I therefore hope that on a medium and long term goal I will be able to reach new important results and to skate at the Olympic Games for a second time
I'm with you! I want to see you back as soon as possible. I'm glad she's thinking of next Olympic games and considering how resolute she's... I'm sure she'll do it :thumbsup:

alebi

Medalist
Also, I wish the skaters who get an itch to do something low and underhand, took a moment to consider that their actions will ultimately reflect on their country.

I would quote it million times!!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I really don't understand. Any technical explanation doesn't stand and I have never heard of any discord among them.

I've heard a rumour that he was dissatisfied with her jumps, and perhaps felt he needed a partner who is better at landing jumps, to place higher at competitions. Something like Russia's Bazarova/Larionov. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both ladies. :cry: This out-of-the-blue behavior of the partners (and I'm not saying it's guys all the time, sometimes we hear it about female partners as well) is quite sad, and needs to stop.

I'm wondering - would Stefania have any future in singles skating? Carolina is probably going to retire in the near future, Valentina switched to Pairs (no idea if she keeps doing Singles as well...?) Like someone said earlier, Berton is wonderfully flexible, has good speed in spins, and her jumps aren't bad. Plus it might be a long time before she finds a partner who is on her level. Could she possibly switch to singles?

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
This out-of-the-blue behavior of the partners (and I'm not saying it's guys all the time, sometimes we hear it about female partners as well) is quite sad, and needs to stop.

(And everybody else who has said similar things complaining about there being so much dishonesty in the way partnerships are splitting of late)

Agreed.

I'm wondering - would Stefania have any future in singles skating? Carolina is probably going to retire in the near future, Valentina switched to Pairs (no idea if she keeps doing Singles as well...?) Like someone said earlier, Berton is wonderfully flexible, has good speed in spins, and her jumps aren't bad. Plus it might be a long time before she finds a partner who is on her level. Could she possibly switch to singles?

You know, when I read this, my first thought was "So, Stefania would be going from Ice Dance to Pairs Skating, and then to Singles Skating. Talk about doing the reverse of everybody else!"

But then I started thinking "hang on, no matter what route you take, everybody starts by doing singles". So I decided to look up Stefania's background on Wikipedia, and found out something very interesting.

Italian Ladies Figure Skating Championships

Gold
Silver
Bronze
Carolina Kostner
Stefania Berton
Valentina Marchei
Valentina Marchei
Stefania Berton
Francesca Rio
Carolina Kostner
Francesca Rio
Stefania Berton

So, not only does Stefania have a background in singles skating, she was also evidently pretty good at it.

If Stefania couldn't get a new partner in time for this season, and did go back to singles. And then beat Valentina in the Italian Ladies Championships... :eek:

Now that would be the ultimate twist in the story!

CaroLiza_fan

pingu

Rinkside

No, she doesn't have enough triple jumps.