The Next Oly Champ in Men's Division | Golden Skate

The Next Oly Champ in Men's Division

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I watched the Oberstdorf gala on TV (that's where the clip's from) and I agree Brezina shows a lot of promise. He does need to work on his presentation a bit - at times he seemed to forget he was performing for an audience. But you can certainly see the talent and that he does have the ability to connect with people, and I'm sure he'll get better with time. Still, I can't see him winning 2010. Also, does he have a quad?

Brezina can skate as a senior, and age-wise could have qualified as early as two-three years ago. He's older than Patrick Chan: turns 19 in March. He did skate at Europeans in 2008, finishing 16th. Unfortunately the Czech Republic only has one men's slot for Worlds this year on account of Verner's unfortunate performance in Gotheburg, so I imagine Brezina will not be in LA.

Medusa

Record Breaker
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=y_jzHVfdDLo
I love this one even more!!!

It's good that there is Brezina. We (Europe) need him, Amodio and Borudulin to kick the butts of Rippon and Chan. I love his stlye, it's very pure, not very showy, musical, understated - a bit like Buttle with good jumps and more power. It feels more like a north-american style to me though, in contrast to Brezina, Borudulin has the typical showy Russian style and Amodio has the, well, there is no definite French style (only if inconsistency qualifies as a style).

What I love about Brezina apart from the musicality and easiness on ice - are his jumps. They are just amazing, the little preparation, the mixture of power and great technique - I could watch him jump all the time.

Oh, I just can't wait for Europeans - Czechs against Frenchmen, volume 1 (and the way it is looking there will be 5 to 8 more years with loads of sequels).

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Amodio has the, well, there is no definite French style (only if inconsistency qualifies as a style).
The one thing I've noticed about the French skaters (in all disciplines) and their coaches/choreographers is that they tend to be pretty creative in putting a program together - lots of original and interesting ideas, though not always executed as consistently as one might wish. If Amodio can carry on with that tradition, it would be very cool.

I agree about Brezina's ease on the ice - everything is so smoothly executed! If he doesn't get hit by injuries, that guy is definitely going places.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It's good that there is Brezina. We (Europe) need him, Amodio and Borudulin to kick the butts of Rippon and Chan.

Are you implying that the younger North American skaters don't deserve to succeed in the future? :confused:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Seems to me Rippon has kicked Borodulin's butt fairly consistently, including 2008 Junior Worlds and the 2007-2008 GPF. Borodulin isn't exactly the most consistent performer. Sometimes he is good, and sometimes he sucks.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Are you implying that the younger North American skaters don't deserve to succeed in the future? :confused:
:rofl:

Of course, that's why my signature pictures mostly display Abbott or Weir. It's psychological warfare.

And Chan and Rippon will always be allowed to fight for the 4CC-crown. See how benevolent I am?

Everyone who skates clean and best on any given day deserves to win - and if they fulfil my artistic needs on the way, cheers to them. But art always has a lot to do with diversity (ever heard of the Soviet Picasso, Matisse, Warhol or Dalí? No? There you have it!) and the more the merrier. And after last season where we were all swooning over Chan (the next Kwan!) and Rippon (unbeatable!) I am happy that the European juniors turned out to be just as promising and capable of making the next Olympic cycle as exciting as this one.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Medusa's just doing what we N. American's do... she's cheering on her hometown boys.

as for this kid... for a minute I thought it was Jeff Buttle lol they look similar in the face. But I wouldn't jinx him so soon ;)

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=y_jzHVfdDLo
I love this one even more!!!

What I love about Brezina apart from the musicality and easiness on ice - are his jumps. They are just amazing, the little preparation, the mixture of power and great technique - I could watch him jump all the time.

Oh, I just can't wait for Europeans - Czechs against Frenchmen, volume 1 (and the way it is looking there will be 5 to 8 more years with loads of sequels).
Thanks Medusa for the link. Indeed, the triples flow as if just another step in the music like a broadway or hollywood musical. The closest one I've seen since Browning, is Chan. Nice to add Brezina to that short list. I hope to have another look at Amodio during Euros, and a confident Ponsero. I can not understand why the scoring for musicality is hidden in the PC scores instead of outright.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
:rofl:

Of course, that's why my signature pictures mostly display Abbott or Weir. It's psychological warfare.

I obviously noticed that your current signature was of Abbott, but there's a reason why I used the word "younger" in my previous post; Abbott and Weir aren't considered to be spring chickens in figure skating years. ;) In fact, Weir and Scott Russell (a CBC commentator) got into a little verbal "scuffle" during a couple of GPF interviews because Russell accidentally implied that Johnny was "old". :p What a faux pas!

And after last season where we were all swooning over Chan (the next Kwan!) and Rippon (unbeatable!) I am happy that the European juniors turned out to be just as promising and capable of making the next Olympic cycle as exciting as this one.

True, there was a lot of hype behind Chan and Rippon, but despite carrying a North American bias, my expectations of them were more realistic. I couldn't help but :rolleye: a little when I saw that some people predicted that Rippon would medal at SA, and I did :scowl: when I first saw Chan's inflated scores.

Anyways, I'm sorry for misinterpretating your comment. It just seemed like your were "targeting" those two, but now I understand what you meant to say is that the European youths deserve just as much attention. :agree: I'm already a Borodulin convert (I'm annoyed that CBC chose to omit his LP at the CoC :disagree:), and as for Brezina... well, Verner should be a little worried! I haven't seen Amodio skate yet.

as for this kid... for a minute I thought it was Jeff Buttle lol they look similar in the face. But I wouldn't jinx him so soon ;)

:laugh: If one isn't close paying attention, you could mistaken Brezina for Buttle. It's kinda eerie!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Very entertaining. I think he shows a lot of potential. But before we crown him as olympic champion we will have to watch him under competition pressure. This clip was just a gala, where there are no levels, underroattions or pressure.

He does remind me a lot of Jeffery buttle, but he also looked like Plushenko at a few moments.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Where does Kozuka figure in as a future Olympic Champion?
I think he'd need some other skaters to make serious mistakes to get to the top of the podium in Vancouver. Or possibly even on the podium. Kozuka's a talented skater but like most of the current lot, he's inconsistent, and also hampered by his tendency to UR quads.

Personally, I see Kozuka as a good skater but not a special one: there are people doing better jumps, more intricate footwork, more interesting choreo, who have better speed, go for harder elements, and skate overall more original and entertaining programs.

My guess is that any of the following skaters could win the 2010 OGM, in no particular order: Verner, Joubert, Oda, Takahashi, Abbott, Chan (if he gets the 3A consistent, and doesn't crack under the pressure), Ponsero (a long shot, and only if he gets consistent, period) and possibly even Lysacek or, heaven help us, Plushy. But not Kozuka, and probably not Johnny Weir, either. Sorry, Johnny.

Of course, if we see a Torino-like men's event, all bets are off as to who gets on the podium in 2010.

2014 is too far in the future to tell who might dominate. How many of us had Buttle and Lambiel pencilled in for medals back in 2001? How many people foresaw Jeremy Abbott emerge as a contender one year ago, let alone five? We could see people move up from juniors, promising careers cut short by injury, favorites messing up (after all, Kurt Browning never won an Olympic medal), and so on.

lmarie086

Medalist
Very entertaining. I think he shows a lot of potential. But before we crown him as olympic champion we will have to watch him under competition pressure. This clip was just a gala, where there are no levels, underroattions or pressure.

He won 2 JGPs this season, was second at Nebelhorn Trophy (ahead of Verner) and was fifth at 2008 Junior Worlds, where I believe he had a cast on his arm? I think he can definitely hold it together under pressure, but you're right that we need to see more of him. Hopefully he'll do well at Europeans.

I really hope Verner does a better job in LA than he did in Gothenberg, because I'd be disappointed to not see Brezina in Vancouver (though I know he won't be contending for a medal at this point). He's got so much potential; really all his coaches need to do is not ruin him. Keep up the good work they're doing.

I'm with you Medusa, I could watch him do jump after jump. His technique is amazing-I have to mention that I love his 3A. It's amazing.

The "old" contenders for the Olys Crown, imo: Weir, Oda, Takahashi, Verner, Joubert, Preaubert, Lysacek, will give their standard best and nothing new of what they do best.

The current challengers, imo: Chan, Abbott, Kozuka, Reynolds, Ponsero, Voronov, will more than likely be 'on edge' to be in such company at the Olys. They will probably take risks. I foresee one to be special.

The young upstarts heading to Vancouver are most likely Amodio and Brezina who will be less nervous than all the others. I would love to see one if not the two on the podium but that is wishful thinking on my part.

At the end, I am sure that we will be talking about Florent and Michal whether winning or not.

(There are so many other capable senior skaters that I have not listed: Bradley, Carrierre, Rippon,van de Perren, Schultheiss. Borodulin, Mura)

If all the boys who qualify for the Olys skate their best, that would be worth the price of admission. I don't think I could write a post like this for the Ladies.

abaka

Rinkside
I suspect the winner won't be expected at all based on the competition this coming year. :)

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
My guess is that any of the following skaters could win the 2010 OGM, in no particular order: Verner, Joubert, Oda, Takahashi, Abbott, Chan (if he gets the 3A consistent, and doesn't crack under the pressure), Ponsero (a long shot, and only if he gets consistent, period) and possibly even Lysacek or, heaven help us, Plushy. But not Kozuka, and probably not Johnny Weir, either. Sorry, Johnny.

Compared to previous Olympics, at this point, it really still is anyone's game. Chan's still a long shot even if he does get his 3A consistent. I can only see him winning if it was a repeat of 2008 Worlds, where those with quads failed to deliver. The last time someone won the Olympics without the quad was in 1994.
I'd still say Kozuka and probably Johnny may have a better shot than Chan.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't forget about Plushenko's comeback.

Dee

dancingqueen

On the Ice

That’s actually good to hear. :) The more people don’t expect him to win, it becomes less pressure for him and even gives him more fire. I will not be able to predict until the day before the competition in Olympics, until seeing how the situation of all the top contenders are, since the Olympics are a special event. The less pressure the better.