Throwback Thursday! Tai and Randy 1974 | Golden Skate

Throwback Thursday! Tai and Randy 1974

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've been on a Tai and Randy kick for a few days, rewatching old performances.

This is the long program from their US Nats debut in 1974. I think she was 13 and he was 15. They finished 2nd.

Already, the signs of greatness were there... unison, line, and musicality. Already Randy presented her beautifully.

Watch all the way to the end, and see the audience reaction. They knew this was something special.

Also, her sweet little curtsies and smile...

Two years later they were US Champs. Three years after that, they were WC. We all know of the Olympic heartbreak.

Oh, how I wish for another US Pair to capture the imagination and heart as much as this. I've been waiting more than 40 years.

Anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB7L1Q3G7Kg

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I'm waiting with you, TontoK! I'd love to see another US pair approach that kind of quality.
Thanks for posting that program, I remember being blown away when I saw this on TV. Was it 40 years ago? Eek!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One day, Ravyn Rant... one day.

They were so young in this video, and so charming.

Their coach, John Nicks, really knew he had something, didn't he?

Weathergal

Medalist
Wow! And the side-by-side jump sequence so late in the program! Their confidence and unison with them is so impressive. And they didn't telegraph them; they were really part of the choreography. I can't believe the maturity at 13 and 15. Special indeed! I remember being heartbroken for them when they weren't able to compete at the 1980 Olympics.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It was the first Olympics I watched, and I just remember Dick Button being so upset I thought he was going to have be sedated.Oh the :drama:!

tinlizzie

Final Flight
Tai was a neighbor of mine in Los Angeles. She is a beautiful and gracious woman. Super down to earth and her Mother is a sweetheart too.

donezo

On the Ice
Thank you for sharing! I don't know if I've seen this performance before. Such wonderful quality at such a young age. They really don't make them like this anymore (in the U.S. anyway....).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I don't think I had seen that performance before. Quite often they didn't show the pairs on TV. Was that one of Howard Craker's films, do you know?

The unison through that long jump sequence was just remarkable. And that pair spread eagle into the pair Ina Bauer just lovely :love:

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Weathergal, I agree with you regarding the maturity. Even at such very young ages, there was refinement to their skating.

Doris, I stumbled across the video on YouTube, and cannot speak to its provenance.

Other recommended videos would include their short and long programs from the 1976 Olympics... they finished 5th at 15 and 17 years of age, and of course the Long Program from their WC in 1979 in Vienna.

Dick Button was so proud, it sounds as though he's about to cry in places.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Echoing all the thanks, TontoK. How special they were! (even if I was a JoJo and Ken fan back in the day; go figure:)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
One day, Ravyn Rant... one day.

They were so young in this video, and so charming.

Their coach, John Nicks, really knew he had something, didn't he?

I never thought a US ice dance team could win Olympic Gold, and I lived to see that. It could happen in pairs. I believe! :laugh:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, el henry, you are going to love this.

Tai and Randy AND JoJo and Ken doing a routine together. Get ready to swoon at the fourway spirals, spread eagles, and ina bauers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU_NdqwdOuA&list=PLtnE8wD82Fv7cG-CPqdXDJBEoa0S6PYKq&index=24

One of the hidden gems I've stumbled across during my binge week.

Woot!:cheer2: I may have seen this before, but never enough. Back when people cared enough about figure skating to choreograph and put on such a program, sigh...

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember once that Dick Button mentioned that there used to be more events at skating competitions... including one like what we saw in the 4-person program.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Weathergal

Medalist
Weathergal, I agree with you regarding the maturity. Even at such very young ages, there was refinement to their skating.

Doris, I stumbled across the video on YouTube, and cannot speak to its provenance.

Other recommended videos would include their short and long programs from the 1976 Olympics... they finished 5th at 15 and 17 years of age, and of course the Long Program from their WC in 1979 in Vienna.

Dick Button was so proud, it sounds as though he's about to cry in places.

Thanks TontoK--I like the idea of a "Throwback Thursday." Perhaps posters could select some skaters from the past like this every Thursday and share some nearly forgotten gems! :clap:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks TontoK--I like the idea of a "Throwback Thursday." Perhaps posters could select some skaters from the past like this every Thursday and share some nearly forgotten gems! :clap:

Love the idea! I think some of our members may be on the younger side, and have never been properly introduced to some of the greats of the past.

Of course, even if I'm older, I'm also less familiar with some of the great skaters that came before my time... so I can understand.

And besides... who doesn't like the opportunity to look at some rare historical film footage?

Weathergal

Medalist
Love the idea! I think some of our members may be on the younger side, and have never been properly introduced to some of the greats of the past.

Of course, even if I'm older, I'm also less familiar with some of the great skaters that came before my time... so I can understand.

And besides... who doesn't like the opportunity to look at some rare historical film footage?

Ha! Yes, I'm "older," too. Put it this way, Dorothy Hamill inspired my love of figure skating. I begged my mom until she bought Short and Sassy shampoo. :eek::

And I agree--it's a combination of wanting to know about the greats I'm less familiar with and taking a sentimental journey through the skating archives.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We had the BEST Olympic champions to kick us off to a lifelong love of the sport, didn't we!

1976... Dorothy Hamill, John Curry, and Rodnina/Zaitsev.

Now THAT was an Olympic class!