Top 10 of all time per event post Pyeonchang | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Top 10 of all time per event post Pyeonchang

IceCastles1814v

Rinkside
So we have nothing to talk about if you dont know what you post . and it seems you havent seen actual performances

Not sure what you are talking about. I have seen the performances. But was confused as to what you were referring to at times. Which is what I was responding to in my last post??

Enero

On the Ice
Men
1. Hanyu – Never thought I’d see a skater who could successfully blend passion with technical prowess. Whether he’s the GOAT is up for debate, but there is no doubt in my mind he will be remembered as one of THE greatest. I don’t think I’ve ever heard commentators from countries across the world talk about any skater the way they talk about the “perfection” that is Hanyu. It seems to be a consensus with them all that his talent is unmatched by anyone who is currently competing or previously competed in many years past.
2. Javier Fernandez – There’s just something special about Javi. He has the jumps and the charisma, and of course his history making competitive success speaks for itself. He will no doubt inspire for generations to come.
3. Plushenko – His dominance in his era can’t be denied, nor his incredible passion for skating and longevity in the sport. There is also his numerous world, European and Olympic medals. He’ll always be remembered and in fact was referenced several times during the men’s even in Pyeongchang.
4. Stéphane Lambiel – His talent for footwork and spins was unmatched. Definitely one of the best of his era.

Dance
1. Anissina/Peizerat – Every program they skated was outstanding. IMHO. They were so different from their competitors and always exciting to watch. Loved the reverse lifts with her lifting him. I don’t think any dance pair has done that since them. They were definitely in a class by themselves.
2. Grishuk/Platov – Speed. Innovative moves. Speed. And of course two OGMs.
3. Virtue/Moir – All of their wins speak for themselves. However, I commend them for finding a niche i.e. portraying romantic love and taking it to the level that people actually believed they were involved off ice. That was some great acting that further enhanced the technical superiority of their programs. I don’t think anyone will be able to match their competitive record or their presentation of “love” on or off ice in a long time if ever.

Pairs
1. Mishkutunok/Dmitriev – Everything they did was exciting and innovative. I still think they should’ve won gold in 1994.
2. Zhen/Shao – Another exciting and history making pair, who were beautiful to watch. They have no doubt inspired generations to come of pair skaters.
3. Gordeeva/Grinkov – They were icons.

Ladies
1. Yuna Kim – Perfection on ice. Everything about her skating was textbook. I seem to recall reading at one point that some coaches would show her programs to their students to demonstrate the appropriate technique for jumps.
2. Mao Asada – Beautiful artistry. Her effort to push the sport not only with the Triple Axel but consistently attempting the Triple/Triple in the LP I’m sure in part influenced the elevation of the technical content in the women’s event today.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I can make only groups the places in the groups aren't rankings

men

first group:

Button, Plushenko , Hanyu, Graftsrom, Curry

second:

Chan, Browning, Cousins, Yagudin, Fernandez, Lambiel

Yagudin: short career, he won everything, but he had no contributions to any part of the skating, no innovations . In his whole career he was afraid to lose to the 15, 16, 17 y.o. "jumper":laugh2:( At the age of 16, Plushenko became the youngest male skater to ever receive a perfect score of 6.0. He received a total of seventy five 6.0's before the new Code of Points judging system was introduced.Most of them were artistry points, and he receieved on international competitions mostly and Under the Code of Points system, he has set 13 world record scores (5 in the short program, 4 in free skating, and 4 in the combined total) Plushenko. Except on Fs forums Yagudin is a forgotten champion his name can't sell tickets, he is not invited to the shows for years.....He had a big advantage he was the Russian who lived in US and because he had criticism for Russia, he was supported there against to the "commie" Plushenko.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I knew my Plushenko ranking would get the most criticism of any of my rankings in any discipline but I rated him down there since:

5. As much as he achieved, his achievements dont stand out in a record way in a historic sense either. He didnt win a 2nd OGM as Hanyu did, doesnt have a record number of world or even European titles, etc...

Three consecutive Olympic medals (silver - gold - silver) and you say his achievements don't stand out in a record way in a historic sense? I am not even counting his Sochi team medal. Add three world titles and 7 European titles (which were won when the European titles ment much more than they do today in Mens event). All titles won both under the old system and the new one, so he also transitioned quite succesfully in the new system, something which even the great Michelle Kwan was unable to do.
I can understand if your list would be called "My favorite skaters in terms of overall greatness" but having a list with the men's event where Plushenko barely markes it means you refuse to aknowledge, objectively speaking, his achievements.

nguyhm

On the Ice
Ladies:
1. Yu-Na Kim (pure technique, beauty, aethetic and art with tastefullness combined).
2.Janet Lynn (never won a big title bc of the figure, but even nowdays could be appreciated with artistry and technique).
3.Denise Bielmann (far ahead of her time technically and artistically plus having a never ending succesful pro carrier and its spin keeps her name forever)
4. Katarina Witt. Long domination, unbelievable consistancy but never been even close technically to Bielmann.
5.Kristi Yamaguchi (amateur and pro carrier).
6.Midori Ito, the greatest jumper.
7.Lu Chen (pure technique with softness and beauty in her move).
8. Yuka Sato (amateur and long pro carrier).
9.Shizuka Arakawa, Great edges, technique and jumping ability with artistry.
10.Sonja Hennie from the time when favouritism mattered the most, but did a lot for the popularity of the sport.
No Mao, no Michelle????? :noshake:

Big Deal

Final Flight
No. Mao never had clean edges but was beautiful to watch. Kwan was lovely but average. She was the ethalon of the time when reputaion mattered a lot. She disappeared when quality of technique ( full rotations, edges etc.) started to be awarded.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
1.Yes I KNOW that they won OVERALL. Anyway, thanks for reminding me this, like I didnt know it already. And I know that competition has 2 portions : SD and FD.
2.V/N didnt skate better FD, P/C won FD with WR
3 "Winning the FD by less than a point means nothing. " Excuse me? It is disrespectful from you . what you talking about? So when it means?where theres difference like 3 points? If V/M have beaten P/c by a point in FD, it wouldnt be so meaningless right? Sd is sd , FD is FD . In Fd, P/C were better. That what it MEANS.
In SD , V/M were better. They won with 0.70 point overall and if not that dress I bet the difference would be in favor of the French.
And V/M were lucky to NOT have called l3 or l2 for rhumba pattern., dont you think?
You have to understand that judges see everything live and have no chance to see for second time other elements. I try very much and I dont see any akwardness in their body movements during step sequance like you all trying to persuade me and others. So why you call their score very generous?
4 "You're right, the judges made their pre comp preference obvious by not applying - GOE. Not anything to be proud of, though" What you talking about? what - Goe ? For what? Explain it . Even canadian judge (who wanted pc got the lowest score as possible ) got +2 for twizzle and lift, the most funny she also got the same goe +2 for perfect rhumba. This is unprofesional judging donty ou think

A slight correction - The judges can review the elements, it just that they can't use slo-mo (while the technical panel can use slo-mo).

rosacotton

Final Flight
Ladies
Kim
Mao
Witt
Kwan
Ito

Men
Hanyu
Fernandez
Plushenko
Yagudin
Chan

Ice Dance
Torvill & Dean
Davis & White
Virtue & Moir
Papadakis & Cizeron
Duchensays

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
In his whole career he was afraid to lose to the 15, 16, 17 y.o. "jumper":laugh2:
Oh, Plushyfan! Your war is so funny... :luv17:
He is weak - as you say - but you fight with him year by year and you can't beat him.
It is strange, that you don't perform with the same program in Medvedeva's thread: "She has lost to a kid, to a kid, to a kid!!" It seems you could know, that often a competition is easier for a younger one, not for a one who is older? It is hard to judge who has an advantage.

Do you know, that Yagudin was called The Jumping Stool, when he was working with Mishin? Don't you?? :coffee: So... they both were "jumpers".

Except on Fs forums Yagudin is a forgotten champion his name can't sell tickets, he is not invited to the shows for years.....
Really?? :coffee: When Yuna Kim had her show in 2012, Yagudin was there. He thanked them, that they had invited "the handicapped person". "The handicapped person" was working like this and welcomed like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Neb1MKnJo&t=45s
In 2014 (more than 10 years after his career in sport was over!) Yuna invited him again, and he came. When Lambiel had his show in 2014, Yagudin was invited, and he came. When Denis Ten had his show in 2014, Yagudin was invited, and he came. Ari Zakaryan (Plushenko's agent) was organising this show for Ten and for his friend Yagudin who had the best place at Ten's table.
https://www.instagram.com/p/ooupdpu44w/
In 2015 Denis Ten had a show again, he was writing to Yagudin: "but something is missing".
https://twitter.com/Tenis_Den/status/602367628661891073
Though Yagudin has enough work even in Russia. Only in Sochi they had 59 "R&J" shows in 2017. Actually, I don't count, sorry. I'm lazy.

iexela

Rinkside
I knew my Plushenko ranking would get the most criticism of any of my rankings in any discipline but I rated him down there since:

1. IMO he does not epitomize the complete skater the way Hanyu, Browning, Chan, Takahashi, Yagudin, Fernandez, and many others do. Too jump oriented.

2. He was pretty much dominated in his rivalry with Yagudin until Yagudin got hurt. Worth noting Yagudin with less than half as long a career with a career ending hip injury at 21, still won more combined world and individual Olympic golds than Plushenko (5 to 4). This is telling to say the least.

3. Lets face it, not his fault, but the competition he won his major titles from 2003-2006 was pretty much a joke.

I totally agree! Look at Yagudin and Plushenko's "success rate", not a total number of medals and you'll know that Yagudin is a winner (maybe an absolute one)!
Yagudin's taken part in 6 World Championships - 4 golds, 1 silver (with the twisted ankle) and 1 bronze (his first Worlds - he'd just turned 17), he's competed in 2 OG - the fifth despite the high temperature, and Gold in SLC, plus 2x Gold in GPF (Plushenko beat him there only once!), plus 3x Gold, 2x Silver at Euros etc. All this within only 6-year-long senior career.
And if I'm not mistaken, he's still the only one to have won the "big four" during one season - GPF, Euros, OG, Worlds. What more do you Plushyfan and others want?

And that Yagudin's never won Nationals? He's always claimed - who cares you are a Russian champion? WCH and OG is what matters and he's deadly right! He always tried to be in the best shape at these competitons, not at some Nationals.

And how can Plushyfan say Yagudin hasn't brought anything to fig. skating? And what about his footwork (only later did Plushenko and others try to copy him), what about his incredibly high triple Axel, his passion, artristy, his fighting instinct (I don't think there's any other skater who'd be able to skate through such horrible pain as he was(and still he is).

How many programs of other skaters can people remember? But everybody remembers Yagudin's Winter, Gladiator, Man in the Iron Mask... It's not his fault he had to quit his eligible career so early. He would never have quit so early if his hip hadn't been destroyed so badly (ask T. Tarasova about how difficult it was for Alexei to make this desicion and how long it took him to get over it).

I think we should judge skaters by means of success rate and if people can remember some of their programs and not how many titles they have if everybody has rather a differently long career... Actually, I don't believe it's possible to make a list of best skaters, skating in different eras, in different scoring systems etc. We can only say who we like and why:love:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No. Mao never had clean edges but was beautiful to watch. Kwan was lovely but average. She was the ethalon of the time when reputaion mattered a lot. She disappeared when quality of technique ( full rotations, edges etc.) started to be awarded.

So untrue. She stopped because of a career-ending hip injury. Michelle had superior skating skills and was not an underrotator. She would be getting Kostner level PCS in the current system.

teapot

Rinkside
I totally agree! Look at Yagudin and Plushenko's "success rate", not a total number of medals and you'll know that Yagudin is a winner (maybe an absolute one)!
Yagudin's taken part in 6 World Championships - 4 golds, 1 silver (with the twisted ankle) and 1 bronze (his first Worlds - he'd just turned 17), he's competed in 2 OG - the fifth despite the high temperature, and Gold in SLC, plus 2x Gold in GPF (Plushenko beat him there only once!), plus 3x Gold, 2x Silver at Euros etc. All this within only 6-year-long senior career.
And if I'm not mistaken, he's still the only one to win the "big four" during one season - GPF, Euros, OG, Worlds. What more do you Plushyfan and others want?

And that Yagudin's never won Nationals? He's always claimed - who cares you are a Russian champion? WCH and OG is what matters and he's deadly right! He always tried to be in the best shape at these competitons, not at some Nationals.

And how can Plushyfan say Yagudin hasn't brought anything to fig. skating? And what about his footwork (only later did Plushenko and others try to copy him), what about his incredibly high triple Axel, his passion, artristy, his fighting instinct (I don't think there's any other skater who'd be able to skate through such horrible pain as he was(and still he is).

How many programs of other skaters can people remember? But everybody remembers Yagudin's Winter, Gladiator, Man in the Iron Mask... It's not his fault he had to quit his eligible career so early. He would never have quit so early if his hip hadn't been destroyed so badly (ask T. Tarasova about how difficult it was for Alexei to make this desicion and how long it took him to get over it).

I think we should judge skaters by means of success rate and if people can remember some of their programs and not how many titles they have when everybody has rather a differently long career... Actually, I don't believe it's possible to make a list of best skaters, skating in different eras, in different scoring systems etc. We can only say who we like and why:love:

Totally agree with you. Simply look, Yagudin is still driving plushy fans crazy after 16 years.
I put Plushenko to this group : Plushenko, stojko, Lysacek. For some reason, I feel they are the same kind of skaters. However I put Plushenko first in this group for his medals, longevity.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
(I don't think there's any other skater who'd be able to skate through such horrible pain as he was(and still he is).

? It seems, many skaters work through the pain and have injuries. Evgeni had more than enough injuries. We should be fair. :)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Oh, Plushyfan! Your war is so funny... :luv17:
He is weak - as you say - but you fight with him year by year and you can't beat him.
It is strange, that you don't perform with the same program in Medvedeva's thread: "She has lost to a kid, to a kid, to a kid!!" It seems you could know, that often a competition is easier for a younger one, not for a one who is older? It is hard to judge who has an advantage.

Do you know, that Yagudin was called The Jumping Stool, when he was working with Mishin? Don't you?? :coffee: So... they both were "jumpers".

Really?? :coffee: When Yuna Kim had her show in 2012, Yagudin was there. He thanked them, that they had invited "the handicapped person". "The handicapped person" was working like this and welcomed like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Neb1MKnJo&t=45s
In 2014 (more than 10 years after his career in sport was over!) Yuna invited him again, and he came. When Lambiel had his show in 2014, Yagudin was invited, and he came. When Denis Ten had his show in 2014, Yagudin was invited, and he came. Ari Zakaryan (Plushenko's agent) was organising this show for Ten and for his friend Yagudin who had the best place at Ten's table.
https://www.instagram.com/p/ooupdpu44w/
In 2015 Denis Ten had a show again, he was writing to Yagudin: "but something is missing".
https://twitter.com/Tenis_Den/status/602367628661891073
Though Yagudin has enough work even in Russia. Only in Sochi they had 59 "R&J" shows in 2017. Actually, I don't count, sorry. I'm lazy.

In 2012 and 2014? What a busy skater! I know and probably you also know Yagudin doesn't like the skating. He wanted to leave he wanted to be actor, singer but he had no enough talent. He couldn't live without the money what he earns with it in Averbukh shows

I'm talking about the internatinal shows In Slovakia some years ago the organizers deleted the show where his name was the gratest..

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Totally agree with you. Simply look, Yagudin is still driving plushy fans crazy after 16 years.
I put Plushenko to this group : Plushenko, stojko, Lysacek. For some reason, I feel they are the same kind of skaters. However I put Plushenko first in this group for his medals, longevity.

LOL! I wrote it not because I'm a crazy Plushenko fan. I wrote it because I'm bored those North-American opinions they write them without knowledge about Plushenko's career . Yagudin is more popular in North-Am because he lived there he won his Oly gold he skated on many professional competitions, he wanted to move there. The American FS fans know him very well. He criticised Russia then. On the contrary Plushenko was very loyal to Russia, in the American media he became the Russian "commie" against the nice Yagudin. Everybody thought-because of Yagudin's tale- he couldn't be Russian champion because Plushenko was the favorite of Rus Fskating Fed. Well, the truth is the kid Plushenko beat him in technic clearly-there are videos on YT and his "artistry" didn't help him because Plushenko "lack of artistry" is in only the North-Americans' minds.

Do you put in same chategory with Stojko and Lysacek? LOL! Have you seen this for ex? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEJXkfMYTX4

Even Stojko and Laysace disagree with you. Stojko loves Plushy he respects him. I love the video when he watched the 16 y. o Plushy at Skate Canada who landed the perfect 4T-3T combo... Evan's "ideal" skater is Plushenko.

I recommend you Plushenko's career, Plushenko's videos on YT. If you don't like his style that is OK but...

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
And if I'm not mistaken, he's still the only one to win the "big four" during one season - GPF, Euros, OG, Worlds. What more do you Plushyfan and others want?

He was a great champion. But he wasn't better than Plushenko. Plushenko's only 6 year long career 1998- 2004 only misses the Oly gold but you don't forget he was 15-21 y.o. then. Yagudin was 5th on first OG. You can't say Yagudin was far better in similar period.

He cared about it because he was there. But he lost . And he told untruth things to the western media.

Plushenko had very hard original footworks. I recommend you his legendary footworks if you don't know. No needed to copy. Plushenko had innate artistry. He received his first perfect score at 16.

Of course... of course...He doesn't like the skating he doesn't follow closely.. he said it not once..he just earns money with shows.. Yagudin had no concrete innovations. He copied Plushenko's combos if he wanted to be competitive with him. And after 2001 he worked with sport psychologist to beat Plushenko. That is not problem. The problem is he worked with that doctor who was infamous in Russia he used Yagudin's hate to beat Plushenko. He told in his book. Shame. His wife committed suicide when they lived together. She was also an athlete. Yagudin hates Plushenko even today he criticised him all the time. And he was the first in 2014 who said Plushenko had no injury. He said it because of business reasons.

I think we should judge skaters by means of success rate and if people can remember some of their programs and not how many titles they have when everybody has rather a differently long career... Actually, I don't believe it's possible to make a list of best skaters, skating in different eras, in different scoring systems etc. We can only say who we like and why:love:
Do you think if you don't know about something that is not exist? Many fans love Plushenko's programs and the Nijinsky is more popular than any Yagudin's program.

"Far beyond human measures! Artistically and in technically perfect! Just all the best I can say, from the first second I saw him on ice, I knew from the first movement, that he is the best... That is what I call that unexplainable aura, what just the purest and therefore those people have, who are the best in something. Everything he does is just great, and with all that power and passion he skates... Beating everyone. The step sequence is just shocking... I can't find words for that. The timing, the powerfullnes, the artistry..."

Ladies:

1. Kim- Still the GOAT with Medvedeva's failure to win Olympic Gold.
2. Witt- Best competitive record ever.
3. Henie- Still only women with 3 Olympic Golds.
4. Lynn- Best artistic skater ever.
5. Ito- Best jumper ever.
6. Asada
7. Yamaguchi- Best pro career ever, along with amazing amateur career, ultimate professional.
8. Medvedeva- Failure to win Olympic Gold drops her from 1st to 7th. [Yet here she is in eighth. :) ]
9. Zagitova- Already the strongest overall technical skater ever.
10. Kostner, Slutskaya, Kwan- 3 way tie for last spot

Hey, where is the great Carol Heiss? Five world championships. Two Olympic medals. Dominated ladies figure skating for the better part of a decade. Perfect blend of athleticism and grace.

Anyone with credentials like those belongs on the list, way up near the top, right?

iexela

Rinkside
? It seems, many skaters work through the pain and have injuries. Evgeni had more than enough injuries. We should be fair. :)

Yes, they have and I find figure skating as a perfect sample of saying "through sport to the disability". However, it's a bit different whether you have some injury you can treat (operation, physiotherapy etc.) or whether it's something you can't do anything else with (such as Yagudin's congenital hip disorder) than fight with it every day. Ok, Evgeni had many injuries but considering how many years he could skate, the injuries (or most of them) can't have been so serious or at least they were curable...

And Plushyfan, I consider Plushenko as one of the best skaters too but it's just not possible to compare Yagudin and Plushenko, it'd be like "comparing pears and apples", they have diffferent styles and absolutely different careerspan. We each like something or somebody different and that's normal and good because otherwise the world would be boring, that's it. Let's agree to differ:laugh:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Yes, they have and I find figure skating as a perfect sample of saying "through sport to the disability". However, it's a bit different whether you have some injury you can treat (operation, physiotherapy etc.) or whether it's something you can't do anything else with (such as Yagudin's congenital hip disorder) than fight with it every day. Ok, Evgeni had many injuries but considering how many years he could skate, the injuries (or most of them) can't have been so serious or at least they were curable...

Before Sochi in 2013 the doctors replaced one of his disk with a silicon disk and fixed with 4 titan screws in his spine. The doctors have promised a 30 years guarantee for the screws.He skated in team event with it. One of them broked before the individual short. After that the doctors removed the screws because the muscle surrounded the new disc. So he lives and skates with new disc without screws now.

And Plushyfan, I consider Plushenko as one of the best skaters too but it's just not possible to compare Yagudin and Plushenko, it'd be like "comparing pears and apples", they have diffferent styles and absolutely different careerspan. We each like something or somebody different and that's normal and good because otherwise the world would be boring, that's it. Let's agree to differ:laugh:

My problem was Plushenko's low place because he has much more reasons to be on higher. And if you read stolbovadiva's post he didn't know anything about Plushenko's results, titles, medals just this " Yagudin is on 3rd place because he was better skater as Plushenko." bla-bla-bla....If anybody can think logically doesn't write it. Plushenko skated and WON in both systems. He had level4 spins and steps...he improved to the new system.