What are you listening to right now? | Page 111 | Golden Skate

What are you listening to right now?

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What horrible news to wake up to!!!

And he was only 65! But, I suppose cancer can get anybody, no matter their age.

Although Eddie plays what is probably the most recognisable keyboard sequence in rock music on the band's biggest hit, "Jump", I didn't realise that he was actually a classically trained pianist. Like I am sure a lot of people do, I think of him primarily as a guitarist.

So, here is a short clip I found of him messing about on a grand piano:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vIbG9wGx1c

And here he is playing an accoustic version of one of the band's 90's songs:

Eddie van Halen - "Right Now"

My thoughts are with his family, friends, and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
And more bad news. Reggae singer Johnny Nash also died yesterday, at the age of 80.

Here he is singing his most successful song, which he also wrote:

Johnny Nash - "I Can See Clearly Now"

Or, as my Dad jokingly calls it, "I Can See Deirdre Now Lorraine Has Gone". :slink: (And, as I just discovered when I did a search for this lyric, he is not the only one! :rolleye: )

And here he is singing another hit that he wrote:

Johnny Nash - "There Are More Questions Than Answers"

My thoughts are with his family, friends, and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Loved that! :rock: Thank you so much for sharing it. :thank:

So, we've had "Wuthering Heights" and "Lord Of The Rings" adapted into rock metal songs. I wonder what other books out there have been given the metal treatment... 🤔

CaroLiza_fan
A Song of Ice and Fire, also by Blind Guardian

King Arthur legends

Blind Guardian again made a whole concept album about Tolkien's Silmarillion, NIghtfall in Middle Earth; Iron Maiden turned many novels and poems into songs ( Phantom of the Opera, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, The Lord of Flies etc.)

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
A Song of Ice and Fire, also by Blind Guardian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L8w3qKTH08

King Arthur legends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDuyoC4WDSw

Blind Guardian again made a whole concept album about Tolkien's Silmarillion, NIghtfall in Middle Earth; Iron Maiden turned many novels and poems into songs ( Phantom of the Opera, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, The Lord of Flies etc.)

Sorry, I forgot to reply to this.

I absolutely LOVED those songs!!! Thank you so much for pointing me in their direction.

Of the three, "War Of The Thrones" is probably my favourite. Which is somewhat ironic, as I have never watched "Game Of Thrones" or read the books.

You've got Blind Guardians a new fan. :rock:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Going to bring a conversation over from the Ice Star thread.

on a sad note i just read Sean Connery passed away:frown:

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really liked him. Definitely my favourite James Bond.

This just is an awful year!

Dr. Jones Senior :frown:

"Don't call me Junior!" :mad:

The Indiana Jones films are probably my favourite film series. And undoubtedly were an early part of what inspired me to go into archaeology.

There was a very funny film I watched a couple of months ago that starred a very young Sean Connery. But, I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. :palmf:

was it about Banshees and little people?

Nah, he was playing a soldier who was a bit of a walking disaster!

Just to clear things up, the film I was thinking about was "On the Fiddle" (1961).

But, I looked up the film you were talking about - "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" (1959) - and I found something which would be the perfect tribute:

Sean Connery & Janet Munro - "Pretty Irish Girl"

My thoughts go out to his family, friends and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Sorry, I forgot to reply to this.

I absolutely LOVED those songs!!! Thank you so much for pointing me in their direction.

Of the three, "War Of The Thrones" is probably my favourite. Which is somewhat ironic, as I have never watched "Game Of Thrones" or read the books.

You've got Blind Guardians a new fan. :rock:

CaroLiza_fan
i'm trying to save you :LOL: and pointing you to the right direction. there's more where those came from:wink:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
i'm trying to save you :LOL: and pointing you to the right direction. there's more where those came from:wink:

That's sweet. You're trying to save me, and now I'm on here deliberately trying to annoy you! :laugh: :devil:

Just a bit of context for those that weren't with us in the Ice Star thread.

Today is...

ALL SAINTS DAY!!!

So, what else could we possibly listen to?!

All Saints - "I Know Where It's At"
All Saints - "Never Ever"
All Saints - "Under The Bridge"
All Saints - "Lady Marmalade"
All Saints - "Bootie Call"
All Saints - "Black Coffee"
All Saints - "All Hooked Up"
All Saints - "Rock Steady"

And that is where my knowledge of All Saints' singles ends. I don't know any of their singles after "Rock Steady".

However, when hunting for the videos, I found some early songs under their original name and line-up that I had never heard before:

All Saints 1.9.7.5. - "Silver Shadow"
All Saints 1.9.7.5. - "Let's Get Started"

Enjoy! :)

(Does anybody know of any bands / groups called "All Souls", for All Souls Day tomorrow... :p )

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Hopefully this will redeem myself with @elektra blue...

Ever since I watched the film "Good Vibrations" (2012) about Terri Hooley last night (see the thread I started about it here), I have had the following song stuck in my head:

The Outcasts - "Justa Nother Teenage Rebel"

(No, that is not a typing error. The title was actually spelt like that).

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'm afraid that we are back to the obituaries.

My fellow Tyrone man, country singer Brian Coll, has died after having a heart attack on Saturday. He was 79.

Over the years, Brian was a member of quite a few showbands, such as the Polka Dots, the Plattermen and the Buckaroos. But, as my tribute, I am picking a song that he released relatively recently as a solo artist:

Brian Coll - "Hometown On The Foyle"

This is actually a cover of a song written by Johnny McCauley. I have made no secret on here that I am not a big fan of country music. So, because of a combination of this and the fact that Brian recorded so many songs during what was a very long career in music, I don't know if he actually wrote any of the songs he performed.

One thing that Brian was well known for was his yodeling. So here is a cover of a Wiley Walker & Gene Sullivan song in which he yodels:

The Buckaroos - "When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again"

And it was only there now that I found out that one of Brian's former bandmates in the Polka Dots and Buckaroos, bassist turned radio presenter Pio McCann (another Tyrone man), died a month ago. But, he did not perform on the song I just linked to.

My thoughts go out to their families, friends and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My heart is broken for the passing of Alex Trebek, the classy host of Jeopardy! He fought the good fight against pancreatic cancer. May his memory be for a blessing.

(Thinking of the iconic Jeopardy! "think" music)

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
My heart is broken for the passing of Alex Trebek, the classy host of Jeopardy! He fought the good fight against pancreatic cancer. May his memory be for a blessing.

(Thinking of the iconic Jeopardy! "think" music)

Yes, I read that this morning. But, I have to be honest, I didn't recognise the name, because "Jeopardy!" wasn't shown in the UK. I've heard lots of references to the show over the years, but I have always been clueless.

But, your mention of the music got me curious. So, I went hunting and here it is:

Merv Griffin - "A Time For Tony"

The music was originally a lullaby that the show's creator wrote for his son. I thought that was lovely! :luv17:

An interesting thing I found out was that there was actually a UK version that ran on and off between 1983 and 1996. But after finding some episodes on YouTube, nothing about it looked familiar. So, I mustn't have watched it.

And judging by how many times it was axed and then revived on a different channel, I don't think many people watched it. Just shows the differences in what is popular on either side of the Atlantic.

Anyway, my thoughts go out to Alex's family, friends and fans.

Incidentally, Helen Madden, the second presenter of "Romper Room", Ulster TV's flagship children's programme in the 60's and 70's, died on Friday.

Of course, I wasn't born when it was on. But, I have heard so much about it over the years. However, when I was looking for clips of Miss Helen earlier, I found out something that I never knew. I was always under the impression that "Romper Room" was a home-grown programme. But, it was actually a local version of an American programme! 😲

It's amazing the things you find out when looking for things online!

My thoughts go out to Miss Helen's family, friends and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Another death to report, I'm afraid. All round entertainer Des O'Connor died on Saturday after having a fall a week earlier. He was 88 (no, I can't believe he was that age either. He looked so much younger!)

Des O'Connor did practically everything that was going in the entertainment industry. Which is hardly surprising, as he started off as a Butlin's Red Coat. I knew him mainly as a TV presenter, which he was great at. But, in his younger days, he was better known as a singer.

So, as my tribute, here he is singing the song that earned him the #1 spot in both the UK and Ireland:

Des O'Connor - "I Pretend"

My thoughts go out to his family, friends and fans.

CaroLiza_fan