Gold Nugget from 🇨🇦,
one fact is that the performer singer has been training ballet for 12 years:

+ the way i discovered it:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Charlie Watts, the drummer with the rolling stones, died yesterday at the age of 80.

Normally when I am writing a tribute post, I would choose a song written by the deceased. However, all the Rolling Stones' own songs were written by lead singer Mick Jagger and lead guitarist Keith Richards.

So, in light of this, I have chosen the obvious song that a figure skating fan would choose:

The Rolling Stones - "Paint It Black"

Well, I have to admit, it is actually one of my favourite Rolling Stones songs. ;)

My thoughts are with his family, friends and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I really should have posted this at the start of the Summer Olympics, but I didn't think of it at the time.

However, seeing as swimmer Bethany Firth won Northern Ireland's first 🥇 Gold Medal of Tokyo 2021 this morning at the Summer Paralympics, I think now would be an appropriate time to correct my mistake.

This was the BBC's theme tune for the 1964 Summer Olympics:

Helmut Zacharias - "Tokyo Melody"

And here is the version with lyrics:

Tsai Chin - "Good Morning Tokyo"

Although I wasn't born when it was being heard all over the country, I have loved the original orchestra version ever since I first heard it.

Congratulations Bethany! :bow: :cheer: :clap: :points: And all the best to you and all our other athletes in the remaining competitions.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
For the benefit of those who saw Angelina Kudriavtseva / Ilia Karankevich's SD today and were wondering about the music (which is actually called "Ruby Blue"), it was by Irish singer Róisín Murphy, who is best known as being the singer in the group Moloko.

Here are the 2 songs they are most famous for:

Moloko - "Sing It Back"

Moloko - "The Time Is Now"

It's not my taste in music.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Some sad news, I'm afraid.

Girls Aloud singer Sarah Harding died yesterday from cancer. She was 39.

Although we all knew it was coming, it is still hard to get your head around because of her age.

Girls Aloud was formed on ITV talent show "Popstars - The Rivals!" in 2002 (was it really that long ago?!), where a girl group and a boy band were formed, and then went head-to-head for the Christmas #1.

As my main tribute, I want to post Sarah's performance from the Girls Semi-Final. It is just so moving:

Sarah Harding - "I'll Be There"

Given that it is what she is best known for, it would be remiss of me to not include a Girls Aloud song. Although I loved nearly all of their songs, their "Popstars" single is still my favourite. And it has a poignancy about it now, as Sarah delivers the opening line. So, here it is:

Girls Aloud - "Sound Of The Underground"

My thoughts are with her family, friends and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Last weekend John Williams conducted some of his music at the Hollywood Bowl. One of the selections was the fanfare he wrote for the 1984 Olympics and the performance included a video montage of athletes from recent Olympics. I'm sure most people here will recognize the figure skaters.

Maia Shibutani's reaction to finding out she and Alex were included:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The radio.

And it's playing Roxaaaaannnnneeeeee by the Police ;)

I hope all the figure skating choreographers in the world were listening to the same station, and realise that the original is infinitely better than the abomination that they keep selecting!

For the benefit of our younger members, here is the original by Sting and the boys:

The Police - "Roxanne"

And when I opened the video, one of the adverts that played had another song I love as it's background music. I hadn't heard that song for years, so I looked it up too and listened to it in full! Here it is:

Donna Lewis - "I Love You Always Forever"

CaroLiza_fan

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
The music at the opening ceremony of the CHIO Aachen (concours hippique, horses). Their partner country this year is Japan, and so the opening ceremony has a lot of Japanese themes, music, yukatas etc. To be honest, I prefer this ceremony over the ones at the Olympics. Feels much more Japanese and celebratory than the Olympics ceremonies were… and like the ceremony in Tokyo, this one, too, featured some Japanese videogame music at some point (Kingdom Hearts, boy, that Olympus Colosseum song sure has become popular all of a sudden for sports events!)

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Last weekend John Williams conducted some of his music at the Hollywood Bowl. One of the selections was the fanfare he wrote for the 1984 Olympics and the performance included a video montage of athletes from recent Olympics. I'm sure most people here will recognize the figure skaters.

Maia Shibutani's reaction to finding out she and Alex were included:

For realsies? Man, I would have given an arm and a leg to attend that concert. Such a legend.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
That’s All - Genesis

One of my favorites probably because of its skipping rhythm, appropriate especially today because I am laid up with a Baker’s cyst in my right knee and watching skating videos makes me wince..:drama::drama::drama::biggrin:
Also: Grammatical errors in lyrics videos make me laugh

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just been finishing off the Short Dance from the Budapest Trophy, and heard this song playing while Garabedian / Proulx-Sénécal were waiting for their scores:

Ava Max - "Kings & Queens"

I hadn't heard it before, but I loved it!!! :rock:

Can't believe that this song is only a year old. I would have sworn that it was from the 80's. It sounds so much like Bon Jovi's "You Give Love A Bad Name", which I absolutely love.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Different versions of the same song, as sung by different local singers:

Ottilie Patterson - "Let Him Go, Let Him Tarry" (Comber, County Down)

Ruby Murray - "Let Him Go, Let Him Tarry" (Belfast, County Down)

Cliona Hagan - "Let Him Go, Let Him Tarry" (Coalisland, County Tyrone)

And here are a couple of versions from the films:

Maureen O'Hara - "Let Him Go, Let Him Tarry" (Ranelagh, County Dublin)

Jean Simmons - "Let Him Go, Let Him Tarry" (Islington, Middlesex)

OK, so Jean wasn't Irish. But, she was an actress that I really liked. So, I just had to include her. ;) :biggrin:

Ottilie's version is my absolute favourite. Ruby's version is a wee bit over the top, but still good. Maureen and Jean aren't bad either. As for Cliona, I'm afraid that's just not my taste in music. (I could have provided more country versions, but I just couldn't listen to them in their entirity!)

I actually have a personal connection with two of those singers. Cliona's home town is only 10 miles from mine, and she is very good friends with a girl I went to school with. And Ottilie is buried in the same graveyard as my grandparents.

Oh, and in case you are thinking that Ottilie's first name doesn't sound very Irish, you are correct. Her father was from Northern Ireland, but her mother was from Latvia.

It is amazing how the same song can sound so different depending on who is singing it! :drama:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just heard this, and had to share:

Dexys Midnight Runners - "One Of Those Things"

And if you're thinking the tune sounds familiar:

Warren Zevon - "Werewolves Of London"

Or, if you are not old enough to remember that song, you might be thinking of this:​
Kid Rock - "All Summer Long"​

Anyway, I can't post about Dexys without posting their most famous song, which I absolutely love:

Dexys Midnight Runners - "Come On Eileen"

CaroLiza_fan