What's happening to Italian pairs? | Golden Skate

What's happening to Italian pairs?

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I've been off figure skating lately so I was slightly surprised to see the placement of Italian pairs after the EC Short Program. It's not like the year before to put it mildly.
What happened? Can it make an interesting topic to discuss?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I've been off figure skating lately so I was slightly surprised to see the placement of Italian pairs after the EC Short Program. It's not like the year before to put it mildly.
What happened? Can it make an interesting topic to discuss?
What's strange? They visibly don't have the speed/coverage. They only placed before be used there was an gap. Now gap got filled.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pairs recap with quotes here

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
To respond to the title of this thread: Great things!
The greatest thing that I see is the trend to employ former ice dancers as choreographers. Oh, are those programs awesome :love: I hope they will keep this trend regardless of what happens next.

What happens next is quite a question though. Five of six skaters that formed three pairs finishing in the top six this year are on the overtime of their careers and now they all have medals. It's about time for them to make their decisions if they want to continue till Olympics and beyond. They may decide not to.

Sk8swan

On the Ice
The greatest thing that I see is the trend to employ former ice dancers as choreographers. Oh, are those programs awesome :love: I hope they will keep this trend regardless of what happens next.

What happens next is quite a question though. Five of six skaters that formed three pairs finishing in the top six this year are on the overtime of their careers and now they all have medals. It's about time for them to make their decisions if they want to continue till Olympics and beyond. They may decide not to.
Why are thinking the 3 Italian pairs now that they have medals they may decide not to continue till the Olympics? The next Olympics are in Italy and if you see aged skaters still competing it's because their aim is to be in Milano Cortina. And that's not just the aim of the older skaters actually.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Why are thinking the 3 Italian pairs now that they have medals they may decide not to continue till the Olympics? The next Olympics are in Italy and if you see aged skaters still competing it's because their aim is to be in Milano Cortina. And that's not just the aim of the older skaters actually.
Wait, no! I didn't mean that all 3 pairs might quit before Milano Olympics. If nothing else then the Italian federation will prevent this from happening, that's for sure.
However, I have very mixed feelings about Conti/Macii. They clearly were not in their best shape for the competition and the fact that they recycled their last year's FS program speaks volumes. Anyway, they are great artists and always a joy to watch (if I should pick a comment from the bingo card) so I of course would prefer to see them in Milano.

Last edited:

Sabsi

On the Ice
I think, with a view to Milano 2026, we don't have to worry about the Italian pairs or ice Dance. They will be ready. My big hope for Italy is that they also have a chance of winning a medal in the team event. Let's hope that Matteo Rizzo is fully recovered and fit by then and that his operation goes well. But the biggest weakness from today's perspective is still women. Even after Sarina's good result at the European Championships, there is still a big point gap in international comparison. But there is still some time until 2026.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Wait, no! I didn't mean that all 3 pairs might quit before Milano Olympics. If nothing else then the Italian federation will prevent this from happening, that's for sure.
However, I have very mixed feelings about Conti/Macii. They clearly were not in their best shape for the competition and the fact that they recycled their last year's FS program speaks volumes. Anyway, they are great artists and always a joy to watch (if I should pick a comment from the bingo card) so I of course would prefer to see them in Milano.
Conti and Macci are certainly hoping to go to the Olympics. They have said that their SP this season is testing out the music they are hoping to use at the Olympics.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Guarise new partnership is starting to deliver 🙌
LOL! Even if Italians, Luz/Matt, had not ended up winning Euros, in part due to Hase/Volodin's nervous fp and Metelkina/ Berulava finally blinking under close senior competition pressure, notice that Luz/Matt (Guarise & Beccari) were in third place after the sp. Guarise & Beccari have been delivering well all season though. It always takes time for a new partnership to develop. Guarise's veteran experience makes the difference, along with the fact that Beccari is finally matching his talent.

As well, Ghilardi/ Ambrosini were competitive in the sp, despite placing fifth. G/A arguably could have edged Pav/Svia (Russians who rep Hungary), in the sp for 4th place. Of course, G/A placed 2nd at 2023 Euros, so 4th after sp this year, was a come down. The reason is likely that G/A strategically decided to perform double sbs jumps in the sp. Meanwhile, Pav/Svia landed triples. It's funny to me, because I thought G/A should have been 4th in sp ahead of Pav/Svia. In the fp, I would have had Pav/Svia edging G/A for third because P/S skated with such conviction and desire. The judges made opposite choices! 😂

Savin was so upset, as he had already advocated in an interview that Pav/Svia should be given more credit on PCS. Actually, Savin needs to realize Pav/Svia have to connect better and get more dramatic, expressive material before the judges are going to highly reward them on PCS. Savin was hoping for his two pairs teams to be on Euros podium (which would have meant 5 Russians prevailing, who rep other Euro countries). Savin ended up having to settle for none of his two teams on the podium. But the Russians who rep Georgia, did manage to grab silver.

I agree with @lariko's comment, except that some Russians never really left. But yep, they are now back on major pairs podiums, in disguise repping other countries.

@Anna K apparently meant to ask, "What happened to the top two Italian teams in Euros sp?" The answer is, they simply came up against tougher competition this season. Two new teams were formed that encompass three Russians and one German (i.e., Metel/Beru and Hase/Volo). Italians Ghilardi/ Ambrosini managed to make the podium because they skated decently well in both programs, and they have entertaining choreo & music this season that help camouflage their rough around the edges weaknesses. G/A fortunately also have great lifts, and they landed sbs triples in the fp, so they prevailed over Pav/Svia to end up with another Euros medal. Honestly though, Euros was Hase/Volodin's to win or lose, and H/V lost.

It is Italians, Conti/ Maci, Euros champions last year and third at 2023 Worlds, who clearly have felt a lot of pressure this season. Frankly, C/M are no longer the charmingly consistent underdogs this season. They are former top dog Italians struggling to stay on top. They recognize their shortcomings (e.g. they lack speed, skating skills, & range), and understand that the competition is tougher. A mistake C/M made too is bringing back the same fp, instead of getting fresh material for both programs.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I agree with @lariko's comment, except that some Russians never really left. But yep, they are now back on major pairs podiums, in disguise.
Disguise implies some sort of a deception. That's not true. They want to compete and they follow the rules. Good for them, and as a Russian immigrant myself who could only be successful in my own field abroad, I support them more than anyone else, since they represent me. Period. Volodin's partnership with Hase is great, despite the meltdown FS here.

The Hungarian and Georgian feds actually look for connection to their countries. Same with the new Armenian prospect. Grandparents or one of the parents usually has connection. Or the family immigrated like Shiryaeva or Samodelkina. Immigration is not forbidden yet.

I was always a huge fan of DlM/G, and I was unlucky never see them live, so I am super happy that I will see Guarise with the new partner in Montreal, hopefully.

Now excuse me while I go and order a bunch of flags based on Euro results, looool

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Conti and Macci are certainly hoping to go to the Olympics. They have said that their SP this season is testing out the music they are hoping to use at the Olympics.
LOL! Certainly that fp of Conti/ Maci's is old. I would think they have 'tested' their fp music quite enough already. 👀 As far as the sp music, it's not ringing a bell for me. 😏

All of the Italians, in every discipline except women, are frothing at the mouth to be on Olympic podiums in MILAN!!! And frankly, it's looking pretty d@ng good for Italians in ice dance, men's singles, and pairs for Milan. For sure, the Italians are hoping to be competitive in the team competition in Milan 2026. Matteo Rizzo is getting surgery after Euros this year in order to recover in time to be fit for the Olympics. Gabrielle Frangipani is gearing up to try and be a threat in Milan too.

Overall, I think it will be tough for either Rizzo or Frangipani to make the Olympic podium in men's singles, due to Quad God Malinin, Siao (Slay) Him Fa, the Japanese sublime quadster men, and magical Jun Hwan Cha, but the Italian guys certainly have a chance to be highly competitive. The pairs podium will be a battle in Milan (especially if all the Russian teams are back), but at least one Italian team could possibly medal due to political home advantage coupled with deserving talent. Ice dance should be a lock in Milan for Italians on the podium. There are no highly competitive Italian women figure skaters at the moment, but there are some prospects on the rise who could conceivably break the top ten in Milan.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Disguise implies some sort of a deception
My use of "in disguise" is clearly a turn of phrase, not a condemnation. 🙄 Come on now! Obviously, the Russians are not doing anything deceptively. They do what they do in figure skating quite openly, with great skill and expertise.