What's Next For Mirai II | Golden Skate

What's Next For Mirai II

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
The other thread was closed so I thought I'd start this new one.

I didn't see this tidbit posted anywhere. Happy news for Mirai!

CONGRATULATIONS MIRAI ON GETTING YOUR DRIVER LICENSE! Awesome milestone! :cool:

https://twitter.com/#!/mirai_nagasu

Mirai Nagasu @mirai_nagasu
Reply Driving test appointment in 9 minutes. Came to the dmv early n passed the sucker! Woohoo! :):):):) http://pic.twitter.com/TpNcBLWE

In her most recent tweet she mentions she doesn't have a car (yet). Hopefully that will come:

Mirai Nagasu @mirai_nagasu
Reply RetweetedRetweet
@kevinjasonyao I don't have a car...:/...'

It's great she can drive on her own now. It's an awesome responsibility and should give her greater freedom to move around but I'm still hoping she finds a better training situation and soon. 4 hour drives to Frank, playing musical rinks in between just does not sound like a very productive or stable training environment for an elite athlete.

KKonas

Medalist
Spoke to Frank today. Says Mirai has decision to make re her future. Offered to find a family for her to live with near his rink but mom won't allow. Told her there were other coaches near LA. He would help her any way he could but she needs to decide what she wants.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the info. Wishing Mirai luck in the future even though it may not be with Frank.
Congrats Mirai on getting your license.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Just remember to keep this thread away from the privacy issues that closed the last thread! :)

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Spoke to Frank today. Says Mirai has decision to make re her future. Offered to find a family for her to live with near his rink but mom won't allow. Told her there were other coaches near LA. He would help her any way he could but she needs to decide what she wants.

I think Frank is exactly right. Sounds like he is not willing to continue the current status quo with her for the next season. Interesting glimpse into the family dynamic there. I could understand mom's point of view previously, but Mirai is no longer a minor and should be able to cope with living away from home--after all, tens of thousands of 18-year old university students do it every year. Maybe it's Mirai that doesn't want to cut the apron strings. Perhaps her best choice is to change coaches to somebody closer to her current home, assuming she still wants to stick with elite competitive skating.

Thanks for your insights. It must be hard for Carroll, knowing that Mirai has such talent but seeing the logistical obstacles in her way. Any of these barriers can be overcome, but she and her family will need to take some kind of action in order to overcome them. Mr. Carroll wisely realizes that he can't be the one giving the orders. In effect, he has to sit on his hands until the Nagasus decide how to proceed.

It occurs to me that none of us would be suggesting that she change her program to one more compatible with her personality if she were skating to her full potential. She'd make "Spartacus" so beautiful that we'd think the music was written for her.

sweetskates1

Medalist
I agree, Mirai could make the most bland music amazing if she skated with her heart on her sleeve. I am so happy to know that Frank is trying to get Mirai to make changes. He still believes in her as much or even more than we do.

Thanks for your insights. It must be hard for Carroll, knowing that Mirai has such talent but seeing the logistical obstacles in her way. Any of these barriers can be overcome, but she and her family will need to take some kind of action in order to overcome them. Mr. Carroll wisely realizes that he can't be the one giving the orders. In effect, he has to sit on his hands until the Nagasus decide how to proceed.

It occurs to me that none of us would be suggesting that she change her program to one more compatible with her personality if she were skating to her full potential. She'd make "Spartacus" so beautiful that we'd think the music was written for her.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States

Thanks for this update KKonas! WOW-Frank seems to mean business. I think Mom needs to get out of her daughter's way, and let her grow up if she wants Mirai to succeed in skating to potential.

It's decision time for Mirai. I hope she makes the one that is best for her-and I hope that includes moving on, and up with her skating career.

Last edited:

sweetskates1

Medalist
I agree Sasha'sSpins.

Thanks for this update KKonas! WOW-Frank seems to mean business. I think Mom needs to get out of her daughter's way, and let her grow up if she wants Mirai to succeed in skating to potential.

It's decision time for Mirai. I hope she makes the one that is best for her-and I hope that includes moving on, and up with her skating career.

skateluvr

Record Breaker

Mom won't allow her to live with a nice skating family? Sounds like a controlling mom who won't let Mirai even attempt to grow up. Now we have an answer to the issue through KKONAS. Sounds like Mirai cannot make the decision she needs to, Sad for Mirai.

Jtsmith12

On the Ice
But isn't Mirai going to UCI next year ? Is she going to live in the dorms or live at home ?

R.D.

Record Breaker

Interesting. Thanks for the update.

Nagasu indeed has a tough decision to make. Her competitors have faced (or are facing) such decisions as well, and so far they seem to be the right ones. So she is not alone in this regard. But it's a decision SHE should make (and no one else should make for her). Whatever it is, I wish her luck in figuring things out.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

I´m a bit confused, Mama or Frank said that?

Anyway, I think it´s Mirai´s job to decide what she wants from her future. And in some point one has to become independent.

I have to admit that I´m rather surprised that Mirai got her driving licence....

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Well, before we attack the mom, lets remember a few things. First, this is all unsubstantiated rumor at this point. I'm sure the situation is more complicated than mom doesn't want daughter to leave home. Second, the parents have sacrificed so much to get Mirai where she is today. They obviously have done many things right to nurture a talent who became a national champion and 4th place Olympic finisher. Finally, asking the parent to make additional emotional and financial sacrifices into a situation in which Mirai clearly isn't putting 100% effort into seems a bit unfair.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sounds like Mirai has some decisions to make about her skating career. Frank i think wants to continue to coach her but things will have to change.

sweetskates1

Medalist
I think Frank believes in Mirai's potential and that is amazing given all the disappointments and his grouchy reactions. I think he sees something special in her and would like to be there when the dream is realized.

Sounds like Mirai has some decisions to make about her skating career. Frank i think wants to continue to coach her but things will have to change.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Did you watch the IN version of the LP? It was interesting because during the time when NBC was on commercial (IN showed the ENTIRE KNC interaction), Frank was VERY supportive and tried to pick Mirai up (but she looked like she had disappointed Dad and wouldn't even meet his eyes) with something witty/positive.

sweetskates1

Medalist
I did not. That is very interesting. I did think that Frank looked teary-eyed after Mirai finished her LP. Her parents come across as very cold, stern and strict. Mirai, on the other hand, seems so warm, lax and happy-go-lucky. Do you think that Mirai should try and stay with Frank?

Did you watch the IN version of the LP? It was interesting because during the time when NBC was on commercial (IN showed the ENTIRE KNC interaction), Frank was VERY supportive and tried to pick Mirai up (but she looked like she had disappointed Dad and wouldn't even meet his eyes) with something witty/positive.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Well I hope Mirai is watching 4CC's and that it has lit a fire inside her belly, literally & figuratively...

It's going to take all she has & more to not just compete with the other American ladies, but more importantly the Russians coming next year; now's the time to set herself up for Sochi 2014.

Whoever wants it the most has to start N-O-W!!!!