What's Next For Mirai II | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What's Next For Mirai II

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Oh gosh, I love Mirai but she absolutely will not compete with the Russians at Sochi. They have so many strong women that the 3 who make will have conquered the puberty monster and come with 3/3's, in addition to good artistry. I think our hopes lie with the women who are strong technically but have room to grow artistically, Gracie and Agnes in particular.

sweetskates1

Medalist
hear, hear!
Well I hope Mirai is watching 4CC's and that it has lit a fire inside her belly, literally & figuratively...

It's going to take all she has & more to not just compete with the other American ladies, but more importantly the Russians coming next year; now's the time to set herself up for Sochi 2014.

Whoever wants it the most has to start N-O-W!!!!

heyang

Record Breaker
It seems that Mirai would benefit from a consistent training routine with other skaters with strong work ethics. One of the articles in the other thread cited that she worked hardest when she was training with Evan regularly. She followed his example.

If Frank's still willing to work with her, then he definitely believes she can do it and that it's not a matter of her personal behavior. I don't think he tolerates behavior like Christopher Bowman's anymore. If he didn't feel that Mirai wasn't dedicated to her skating, he wouldn't want to work with her anymore.

It means she doesn't appreciate armchair critics. Do better than her or shut up.

Not a very constructive attitude, unfortunately. But understandable. I'm afraid she's reading the boards, where there is a lot of criticism of her.

No!!! "Goldenskate lady" was somebody who criticized her, which I never do! (Well, unless you call what I just wrote criticism.)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
No!!! "Goldenskate lady" was somebody who criticized her, which I never do! (Well, unless you call what I just wrote criticism.)

I thought it was in response to you? (someone else) who wished she'd chosen a more mature music piece last season?

Well, you're a mod with special powers, you look it up! But no, I promise you, I was not "Goldenskate lady." (Loved that name, though.) I guess to Mirai we could all sound alike though. ETA: I don't remember what she was ticked off about.

Last edited:
It means she doesn't appreciate armchair critics. Do better than her or shut up.

Not a very constructive attitude, unfortunately. But understandable..

I think it is a great attitude! If she followed the advice of people on the Internet she would divorce her parents, go on a diet, move in with her coach, get a triple Axel, and skate in a purple hat to Beethoven's Ninth.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Well, you're a mod with special powers, you look it up! But no, I promise you, I was not "Goldenskate lady." (Loved that name, though.) I guess to Mirai we could all sound alike though. ETA: I don't remember what she was ticked off about.

ha ha! actually I just came across teh thread the other day where we all discussed it... will hae to find it again.

brightphoton

Medalist
Here's an interesting tweet from Mirai

"Why don't you go show us your moves then? Let's see your seven triple, four minute long program." <-- what I want to say to criticism. Lol
http://twitter.com/#!/mirai_nagasu

I don't understand what she means here.

By that logic, the number of people who watch figure skating would number in the single digits.

But in all seriousness, Mirai, you shouldn't read these boards. It's not good for you. There's a reason that celebrities don't use the internet ...

bekalc

Record Breaker
I think it is a great attitude! If she followed the advice of people on the Internet she would divorce her parents, go on a diet, move in with her coach, get a triple Axel, and skate in a purple hat to Beethoven's Ninth.

Suggesting that maybe Mirai should move closer to her coach isn't saying Mirai should divorce her parents. Mirai is 18; the age where many students move out to attend college. Its kind of the same concept. This being said its totally possible she/her parents aren't ready for that and its fine. But really if she should then go to a coach that is closer.

Thing is we don't know all that goes on in a skater's life. Look at Asada; although in Asada's case to a Japanese coach would have been the best option, and it seems she realizes that now because she's with Sato.

Last edited:
I forgot the advice, legally change your middle name to Alien so the other girls will be afraid of you. ;)

The point is, Mirai, her family and her coaches can make those decisions just fine on her own, even without all of our expert advice, thank you very much.

And if Mirai is reading this, here is a poll for the all-time favorite Golden Skate girl.

Mirai (yes)
Everybody else (no)

Poll closed. :)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think the bigger issue is that these suggestions require a lot of sacrifice from her and her family and provide no guarantee that her results will improve substantially. Yes, she win get more training time and perhaps better training mindset because she won't be sitting in a car for hours. But some of her problems aren't going to be resolved with a shorter commute: questionable music selection and choreography, 3/3's (which she never attempted with any regularity), and competitive fire. The question, to me, becomes: do we accept she has been surpassed by superior skaters such as Alyssa and that her days of being America's best skater are over? Or do we put more pressure on Mirai and her family to achieve results that require tremendous sacrifice but are not likely to improve her standing significantly.

Someone also brought up the fact that sending Mirai off would be like sending her to college, and it isn't exactly the same. College provides so much support through your peers, counselors, etc. while skating in a rink far from home doesn't provide nearly the intellectual enrichment or social opportunities.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, didn't folks say similar things about Czisny, Zhang and Wagner once upon a time?

It's clear to me that if Nagasu can figure things out and get her confidence back, she'll be right up there again.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I agree that the old Mirai would be right up there, but what do you consider "right up there"? I don't think she would be satisfied if she changed up her routine, costing her family tens of thousands of dollars, just to finish 4th place like Caroline. And let's remember that Caroline has improved but has not regained the difficult jump combinations that she did as a junior. So I guess what I'm saying is that, yes, if Mirai skated how she did at the 2010 Olympics on a regular basis she would be in the mix in every competition she entered. But that skater, with a different body and the right age to take advantage of the cutesy choreography that worked so well for her, is not Mirai now.