Which ladies could land a 3A? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Which ladies could land a 3A?

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
everyone (the american girls....) is posting vids of them trying 3A. LOOOOOOLLLLL.

Courtney can rotate but can't land
Mirai can land but can't rotate
Gracie can rotate and land with a harness

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Last edited:

russianbratz

Match Penalty
I wonder if any of these ladies do drills to just develop their power and speed? Like are they timing themselves doing "laps" around the rink?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I wonder if any of these ladies do drills to just develop their power and speed? Like are they timing themselves doing "laps" around the rink?

Video of Mirai taking her turn in a Tom Z power/speed drill -- getting timed as she skates with a "power chute." TZ calls it "suicide fun." (So happens that the timer is none other than Paul Wylie.)

Video of Max Aaron finishing his laps as he wears a power chute. (Mirai is not in this mini-vid. Just reinforcing the idea that this kind of training seems to be standard operating procedure for TZ skaters.)

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know how one could go about quantifying something like this as a 'proven fact'. Has it been dis-proven? What does history tell us?

Only 6 ladies is a very small sample size to form a hypothesis, other than to say the 3A is a very rare & difficult element, and we will be very fortunate to have two ladies competing with it next season, and very likely will not see any newcomers in this area for a number of years. 3A's do not come out of nowhere.

I'm not the one who formed the hypothesis. You are right- the sample is too small to conclude that a female skater can't learn a 3A post-puberty.

russianbratz

Match Penalty
You could argue that because so many women are trained to do triple triples now, they simply have a higher skill acquisition overall.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Someone like Gracie doesn't need to improve her speed and power those two things have been her calling card for the last 4 years. Whatever one thinks of her programs or her performing ability all you have to do is take a few seconds to watch her skate from one end of the rink to the other to see her power compared to most of the other Ladies.

russianbratz

Match Penalty
Someone like Gracie doesn't need to improve her speed and power those two things have been her calling card for the last 4 years. Whatever one thinks of her programs or her performing ability all you have to do is take a few seconds to watch her skate from one end of the rink to the other to see her power compared to most of the other Ladies.
Don't disagree, but skating skills are more than that. The ability to pick up speed without stroking and the ability to ride an edge smoothly etc. On one hand you have the skater's power, but on the other hand you have their skill with a blade on the ice. It seems like you need both to have great technique/effortless triples.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
But it is landed on one foot now and she stood up. Maybe that was the process, land it two footed, then move on to landing on one foot, then move on to landing it fully rotated on one foot.

Mirai gets stuck on that last step to a perfect jump.;) --But it's still good to see her try. :cheer:

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Mirai gets stuck on that last step to a perfect jump.;) --But it's still good to see her try. :cheer:

I will say Mirai seems to have cleaned up her feet in her air position. Her feet look much tighter together, especially in her 3T3T and that was perfectly rotated.

whatif

Medalist
One of the junior Japanese girls and one of the Russian juniors (many candidates there).