Which ladies could land a 3A?

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I'm really excited to see all these women practicing 3As :clap:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
How many 3A attempts and ratified 3A are we going to see next season among the ladies? Combos? lol may be pigs can fly!

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
How many 3A attempts and ratified 3A are we going to see next season among the ladies? Combos? lol may be pigs can fly!

I think there won't be too many attempts (a lot of these women are still practicing in a harness afterall, plus the 3A is a risky element points-wise anyway), but imo it's refreshing to see such a large number trying to kick it up technically.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker

Well, I doubt we'll see them from anyone other than Mao and Liza. Mao does have a 3A+2T and Liza has stated she wants to have a 3A in the SP and two in the FS, so one of them must be in combination. Although now that she's said it's a difficult goal to achieve in the near future I don't know anymore.
And in terms of being ratified, I guess Liza is the one with the odds in her favor, her 3A is perfectly round (to my eyes). While the tech controllers have never gone easy on Mao with the UR 3A. I suppose her history of UR them precedes her, there were times in which, even with the slow-mo repetition, I thought it was round, but then the protocols said otherwise. Though many times I'm just left wondering "was it or not?". And now Liza's 3A will be there to serve as comparison so maybe Mao won't have he benefit of doubt (however small it may have been) anymore.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Well, I doubt we'll see them from anyone other than Mao and Liza.

I agree. Women have done them in practice for a long time, even as far back as the mid 1980's when Tiffany Chin and Liz Manley were doing it. We just see more attempts now because everyone has a video camera on their phone.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
On the other hand, with the new rule in place, a UR 3A is worth the same as previous mandatory 2A so there's very little scoring loss even if they fail. (Deduction 1 points for falls aside.) So even you have 30% chance of getting it, Voila! 5 extra points. If not, no biggie, just like everyone else.

Whoever is able brings the 3A combos though (especially half way point), $bravo bravo bravo$! I'd seriously be laughing if Miraiculous Mirai pulled one off and land one after half way point then suddenly became the run away sensation at US nationals :laugh2: (One can dream)

Last edited:

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
On the other hand, with the new rule in place, a UR 3A is worth the same as previous mandatory 2A so there's very little scoring loss even if they fail. (Deduction 1 points for falls aside.) So even you have 30% chance of getting it, Voila! 5 extra points. If not, no biggie, just like everyone else.

Whoever is able brings the 3A combos though (especially half way point), $bravo bravo bravo$! I'd seriously be laughing if Miraiculous Mirai pulled one off and land one after half way point then suddenly became the run away sensation at US nationals :laugh2: (One can dream)

Even if Mirai pulled one off at nationals, all her jumps, regardless of how they actually are, would be called as < or <<...depending on the season leading up to it. If she Miraiaculously pulls off a great season (and rotates her jumps better) then maybe, just maybe she could earn a spot at worlds. *Hopeful*

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I tend to think Mariah Bell has a better shot at landing a 3a than Mirai. :drama:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Doing the 3A isn't a good strategy if you can't pull off the other triples. If I were coaching any of these women, I wouldn't want them trying the jump until they can land all 5 triples in a single program cleanly. (Mao is an exception because her 3A is better than her 3S.)

mrrice

Record Breaker
I tend to think Mariah Bell has a better shot at landing a 3a than Mirai. :drama:

That's her!!!! It's been killing me as I couldn't remember her name. Did she skate to titanic in an aqua dress? Now I'll have to youtube her. So, IMO, I definitely think Mariah Bell is the next US skater to have a reliable 3A. I think Gracie has enough content with her ability to land a variety of triple triples. Plus with her current 2A I think she'd lose valuable training time trying to add a rotation to a jump that's the weakest in her arsenal.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's her!!!! It's been killing me as I couldn't remember her name. Did she skate to titanic in an aqua dress? Now I'll have to youtube her. So, IMO, I definitely think Mariah Bell is the next US skater to have a reliable 3A. I think Gracie has enough content with her ability to land a variety of triple triples. Plus with her current 2A I think she'd lose valuable training time trying to add a rotation to a jump that's the weakest in her arsenal.

Go to Mariah's fan Fest Thread!! It's all there!!

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?53028-Mariah-Bell

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I remember reading old threads concerning practicing 3A can hurt young people's growth and shorten their skating career due to chronic injuries. In many ways, Mao is amazing to have lasted this long! :bow: I am wondering if practicing the 3A had punished Liza at all, and hope she would not neglect injuries she might had because of it. Reading articles like this is hardly comforting. Knowing Mishin and his technical ambition, I really hope she won't ends up like Plushy: battered bodies injuries before age 21, especially she has many aspects of her skating she can still improve, and this sport is not just about the 3A.

Oh yeahh love Mariah Bell... lovely musicality and personality, may be there's hope for US ladies lol! No UR rep? :popcorn:

Last edited:

TheCzar

On the Ice
If Mao brings the rest of her skating A game, even with an UR 3A, the odds are still not too bad. Liza is the one with something to prove, and then in turn the rest of the ladies. Personally, I think Liza's peak years are in this cycle..technically. She should throw down those axels now while her body allows, especially since she landed it considerably later. However, like Carolina, Mao is one of the last skaters to have come out of a generation of skaters with taste and actual skating skills. That second mark, if judged fairly, should still keep her head and shoulders above the field. Sure the TES needs to be solid, but it's not as if Mao is some amateur with nothing but a triple toe.

Personally I think its quite exciting the climate we're heading into. If all these gutsy ladies wear their balls this season and attempt 3As, then I don't mind a splatfest. Go for it!

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight

is the 2A the weakest in her arsenal? I mean it's not good, and looks kind of scary when she lands.

But she can land one and tack on a 3T on the back end.

She lips and then wipes on her flip.

I can see Gracie pulling an Ashley Wagner and putting in 3Lo-1Lo-3S. Hopefully she doesn't Wagner (two foot and underrotate) the 3S.

God I love Ashley. Even if she flutzes, underrotates, can't throw down a Level 4 Step Sequence in the Long, reuses music, throws points away on spins. Her PCS should be higher. I'm pretty sure she flutzed 3Lz-3T in WTT but she didn't get called for it. Weird. Still my favorite American ladies skater though.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ohhhhh Ashley Wagner. How I love thee. I love Gracie. I really love Gracie. However, nobody makes you "Feel" their performance like Ashley Wagner. Diva, is a perfect name for her. She is commanding even when she doesn't skate perfectly. I think ALL the younger skaters should watch her performances and focus on her face. She tells a story with her eyes and she, to use a dick button phrase. "Wears her heart on her sleeve"

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
Ohhhhh Ashley Wagner. How I love thee. I love Gracie. I really love Gracie. However, nobody makes you "Feel" their performance like Ashley Wagner. Diva, is a perfect name for her. She is commanding even when she doesn't skate perfectly. I think ALL the younger skaters should watch her performances and focus on her face. She tells a story with her eyes and she, to use a dick button phrase. "Wears her heart on her sleeve"

YES. DIVA WAGNER. Thanks Jenny Kirk for that. She really is Diva Wagner for me.

mrrice

Record Breaker
" AsadaFanBoy; is the 2A the weakest in her arsenal? I mean it's not good, and looks kind of scary when she lands. "
She does get them around but, they don't have much height which is why her 3T on the back end looks so big. Like I said, she's so good at so many things. Her performance quality improved massively last season and I'd rather see her focus on that area. She may be able to hold her own with the Russians when it comes to jumping. However, those girls can deliver a performance like Ashley and IMO, that's where Gracie should focus.

Last edited:

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
Yes. I would like to see Diva Gold and Diva Wagner.

Also Diva Gold with a 3F that's on the correct edge and not splatted.