Which skater has the best skating skills this century? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Which skater has the best skating skills this century?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Which has diddly squat to do with skating skills:laugh:

If any coach has a claim to developing skating skills in this century, Marie-France and Patrice would claim that title
;)
. And they do it with skaters from different countries and different systems, which is even more impressive to me than from just one country.

But the questions was for skaters with skating skills, and ice dancers would by virtue of the requirements of their discipline be at the top. I vote for JeanLuc Baker(y)
Very good choice. If only the judges could see it.

silveruskate

On the Ice
But each I named have their own style and quirks when it comes to their excellent skating skills.
I knew you would say that! But that's the point of being forced to make a choice, and why it makes it so fun. You can't always have every ice-cream flavour in the shop ;)

I'm deliberately misinterpreting the intent of the post as "in the last century" rather than "in this century."

That way, I can name Janet Lynn.
I wonder how the true oldies but godies would stack up. Ulrich Salchow, Gillis Grafstrom, Karl Schafer. Not to mention those young pups John Curry and Robin Cousins.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I knew you would say that! But that's the point of being forced to make a choice, and why it makes it so fun. You can't always have every ice-cream flavour in the shop ;)
I'll choose when you make others in the thread choose b/t their multiple choices. :popcorn:

silveruskate

On the Ice
I'll choose when you make others in the thread choose b/t their multiple choices. :popcorn:
Wow chill out. You guys were the first few posts. Never said I wasn't ok with people playing with the thread. But literally confirms how indecisive everyone is for sure. :coffee2::coffee2:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Wow chill out. You guys were the first few posts. Never said I wasn't ok with people playing with the thread. But literally confirms how indecisive everyone is for sure. :coffee2::coffee2:
Perhaps you're misinterpreting my post. What I said doesn't require me to chill out, I'm perfectly fine lol.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder how the true oldies but godies would stack up. Ulrich Salchow, Gillis Grafstrom, Karl Schafer. Not to mention those young pups John Curry and Robin Cousins.
I've seen very little video of the legends of long ago. I don't think I've even seen an entire Dick Button competitive program, and of course he was more recent than the founding legends.

When I have seen footage of Salchow, Grafstrom, and others of that era, I remember them being mainly short clips of figures or maybe a spin. Of course the video quality is about what you'd expect from anything filmed during that era.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've seen very little video of the legends of long ago. I don't think I've even seen an entire Dick Button competitive program, and of course he was more recent than the founding legends.

When I have seen footage of Salchow, Grafstrom, and others of that era, I remember them being mainly short clips of figures or maybe a spin. Of course the video quality is about what you'd expect from anything filmed during that era.
I have the Criterion Olympic collection and while I didn’t see the whole Dick Button routine I was able to see a good bit of it. They’ve done a great job cleaning up very old video.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
People like John curry had very good quality in the things they did, but modern SS are often more complex (TR are further developed etc). Still doesn't take away from their skating prowess tho.

For me Mikhail Kolyada and Patrick Chan are both very different, yet both have some of the best SS in the sport's history.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Easier? Oh lordy. No. MK Dance are the pinnacle of dance blades and are different from freestyle in so many ways. They are thinner, shorter, with tiny toepicks. I love them for their speed and slickness (nothing else comes close) and the ease and speed with which you can change edge. The shortened heel means that you are far less likely to step on the back in close footwork. But I dislike them for turns from backwards to forwards (probably just me and my dodgy leg and ageing, shredded nerves) and spinning on them is just not fun.

The reason that dancers have by far the best skating skills is that they learn to skate properly. Nothing can be skipped over, because nothing is missed in a dance test or competition. Nothing.
So they are easier to skate with in some way which was my question. And harder in other ways then.

I didn't mean to diminishe yours and other dancers' skating skills. Just curious about why dancers use a different blade to singles/pairs.

soccerjc77

On the Ice
Marin Honda !

And sometimes, I wish that Marin Honda and Daisuke Takahashi make an ice dance couple because their skating skill are incredible and I think that would make a strong team for the japanese in ice dance if those 2 match in a couple. It would be a dream couple for the japanese federation :love:

susanf

Rinkside
You know, I just never understand why someone feels the need the put down another skater (even if it's only in a passive-aggressive manner) that another person prefers over their favorite. But, as I've gotten older, I realize that the best thing to do is to block and ignore. Others, of course, can like whom they like, and I will still stand by my declaration of John Curry.

LutzDance

On the Ice
What counts as good skating skills shifts over time. Whereas agility and precision received greater stress in the old days, power and flow (and transitions in “free” or non-compulsory-figure-programs) are more emphasized in today’s skating. It really comes down to one’s preferences for all of these qualities. And I agree Patrick’s skating was dominating whichever way you look at it ;)

Just want to give Kaori and Mai a mention. I’m not sure how they line up with other ladies of this century, but Kaori’s speed and Mai’s edges leave little more to be desired.

Weathergal

Medalist
Guys come on, I like singles as much as everyone else but not Mao Asada nor Patrick Chan nor Daisuke Takahashi nor even Yuka Sato (who I think had the best SS ever for a singles’ skater) could do three ice dance-quality step sequences in one program. And that’s not a ding at all on their talent, they just have to focus on more things in their training (jumps). We can see this in Daisuke’s transition to ice dance, it is difficult for him despite his incredible skating skills. He still struggles on the key pattern elements and synchronization of his turns with his partner, which is also part of blade control. On the other hand there was that ice dancer who transitioned to ladies singles who competed at US nationals, I don’t remember her name but her step sequence was ridiculously difficult although of course she had issues with the jumps.

The best of this century? Guillaime Cizeron, Scott Moir, Alex Shibutani, Meryl Davis.

lurkerghost, do you mean Julia Biechler, who was an ice dancer with Damian Dodge and then went to singles? She doesn't always make it out of Sectionals, I think, but I love her skating and have enjoyed her performances at Nationals.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
So they are easier to skate with in some way which was my question. And harder in other ways then.

I didn't mean to diminishe yours and other dancers' skating skills. Just curious about why dancers use a different blade to singles/pairs.
No worries, you didn't at all. I hope I was able to answer some of your questions about dance blades. :)