Which TWO ladies will the US send? (Pick a team) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which TWO ladies will the US send? (Pick a team)

Select which duo you think will be the 2010 US Olympic ladies team.

• Flatt/Zhang

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Cohen/Flatt

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Flatt/Wagner

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Flatt/Nagasu

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Flatt/Czisny

• Zhang/Wagner

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Zhang/Nagasu

• Cohen/Zhang

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Cohen/Wagner

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bekalc

Record Breaker
I don't. But the point is that whatever happens, previous ISU results might just possibly play a role in how the judges score at Nationals. I'm not saying they will, but the possibility exists.

It played a role last year, I'd bet my bottom dollar on that if Zhang had not had the underrotation calls in the GP and performed a bit better that they just might have gone with Zhang/Flatt for the team.

It played a role last year, I'd bet my bottom dollar on that if Zhang had not had the underrotation calls in the GP and performed a bit better that they just might have gone with Zhang/Flatt for the team.

In the sense that they might have scored Flatt and Zhang a little higher and Czisny a little lower at Nationals, may be.

I think Polymer Bob is right. If someone really establishes herself on the Grand Prix she will catch a break from the judges at nationals. I think that's not cheating so much as just human nature. The skaters that you know are great, you tend to see their performances as b3eing great and to discount little mistakes as anomalies.

I do believe that Caroline Zhang holds her fate in her hands. If she can medal at Eric Bompard (knocking Sasha out of the picture), make the Grand Prix final and give a good accounting of herself -- that will be worth an erxtra 10 points at Nationals.

bekalc

Record Breaker
In the sense that they might have scored Flatt and Zhang a little higher and Czisny a little lower at Nationals, may be.

I think Polymer Bob is right. If someone really establishes herself on the Grand Prix she will catch a break from the judges at nationals. I think that's not cheating so much as just human nature. The skaters that you know are great, you tend to see their performances as b3eing great and to discount little mistakes as anomalies.

I do believe that Caroline Zhang holds her fate in her hands. If she can medal at Eric Bompard (knocking Sasha out of the picture), make the Grand Prix final and give a good accounting of herself -- that will be worth an erxtra 10 points at Nationals.
Rachael may hold her fate in her hands more than Zhang because Zhang got some rotten luck getting Bompard. If Kim, Asada, and Kostner skate well they are the podium. Although with Kostner, you truly never know. And heck Rachael had Kim, Nakano, Ando to deal with last year.

But yes, I could be wrong but I think they decided Flatt was going to worlds after the Grand Prix season last year. But if Zhang had been better received and skated better they might have realized that Zhang/Flatt had a good shot at that three spots.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Realistically, I have to say Flatt and ??? at this point. Everyone else is either wildly inconsistent or has major technique problems or hasn't competed in multiple years, or a combination of these factors. Rachael is currently ranked 5th in senior Worlds, is the 2008 Junior World Champion, is a 2-time U.S. senior silver medalist, is steadily improving her weaknesses, has the help of Lori Nichol choreography, which the international judges typically favor, and just performed really well in the SP, LP, and overall at Golden West against 2 of her closest U.S. rivals, outscoring both convincingly.

I hope that ??? can be Meissner. :love:

Last edited:

vlaurend

Final Flight
Realistically, I have to say Flatt and ??? at this point. Everyone else is either wildly inconsistent or has major technique problems or hasn't competed in multiple years, or a combination of these factors. Rachael is currently ranked 5th in senior Worlds, is the 2008 Junior World Champion, is a 2-time U.S. senior silver medalist, is steadily improving her weaknesses, has the help of Lori Nichol choreography, which the international judges typically favor, and just performed really well in the SP, LP, and overall at Golden West against 2 of her closest U.S. rivals, outscoring both convincingly.

ITA. The thing about Rachael is, she ALWAYS delivers the goods. Whether it's in practice or at the World Championships, she just lands every jump every time. That, and her 5th place at Worlds 2009 will pretty much assure her a spot on the Olympic team unless she screws up in both GP assignments AND Nationals.
Meanwhile, Alissa Czisny is making it impossible to write her off, as much as people might like to. Her combined score in her most recent summer competition was 192, vs. Flatt's 177. Two clean programs from Czisny put her in Olympic medal contention whereas two clean programs from Flatt probably do not. Greater risk with Czisny, but also a greater reward if she skates like she is able to. There's a lot for USFSA to consider.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Perhaps, but I wouldn't even begin to think about taking that for granted.

As for Czisny, I think her international scores will trend lower than what she's getting at these pre-season and fluff events (and of course, Nationals). Still, if she delivers, an Olympic berth is not out of the question I suppose.

miss.coiza

Rinkside
Cohen/Wagner,
I think Cohen should be there only to see what she is cappble of. And Wagner, i think she is young and the Olympics would be good for her, i also could go by Flatt but something tells me that she is worse this year. :biggrin:

pokky_oc

On the Ice
I want Mirai to make it! But I also love Sasha and Caroline!:love::love:

But... Why did they have to send Alissa at this worlds?? If they sent Zhang they would have the 3rd spot;)

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
I want Mirai to make it! But I also love Sasha and Caroline!:love::love:

But... Why did they have to send Alissa at this worlds?? If they sent Zhang they would have the 3rd spot;)

As much as I don't think that Alissa did the US justice at World's, the USFS had to send her based on her victory at Nationals.

In other news, Alexe Gilles out-skated Zhang at TEB. I know we haven't seen her Free Skate, but I think this puts her in the running.

R.D.

Record Breaker
In other news, Alexe Gilles out-skated Zhang at TEB. I know we haven't seen her Free Skate, but I think this puts her in the running.

If she winds up beating Zhang overall, then I'll say it might be a possibility. BTW, how is she on consistency? This is only my second time seeing her skate.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Such a tough competition. I almost went out on a limb and said Nagasu/Wagner. But it's just too long a limb to count Flatt out. So I predict Flatt/Nagasu. Nagasu will be the national champion if she pulls it together, and I predict she will.

But then, how can you count out Ashley or Caroline? And if Alissa skates clean?

fairly4

Medalist
sasha not matter whether she skates at nationals or not.

why=-got two gp assigments-everyone worked behind scenes to get her two.
keep harping on silver medal, keep harping on scores (inflated) and cheated,
saying now she right age vs michelle was wrong age, made sure everyone knew about michelles or these kids mistakes-but sasha's totally overlooked, isu praising sasha, criticizing michelle, lots of little things.
also why didn't the usfsa allow tonya to sue the usfsa--what was they afraid of .
i think the usfsa already has the two-they don't want to name them, why for obvious reason.s

vlaurend

Final Flight
i think the usfsa already has the two-they don't want to name them, why for obvious reason.s

I realize it's more fun and dramatic to believe in conspiracy theory, but the USFSA chooses skaters to represent the U.S. at the Olympics based on how those skaters have scored at U.S. Nationals (because it's our national championship) and how those skaters have scored/placed at international events during the season (since it shows how they are likely to score in front of international judges at the Olympics). The USFSA only cares about how many American skaters win medals at the Olympics. They don't care who those skaters are, what race they are, or anything else other than their ability to consistently complete difficult elements and get high scores. After all, it's the placements of U.S. skaters at the Olympics that will end up bringing more publicity, membership, and ultimately money to the USFSA.

Tango_D_R

Rinkside
sasha not matter whether she skates at nationals or not.

why=-got two gp assigments-everyone worked behind scenes to get her two.
keep harping on silver medal, keep harping on scores (inflated) and cheated,
saying now she right age vs michelle was wrong age, made sure everyone knew about michelles or these kids mistakes-but sasha's totally overlooked, isu praising sasha, criticizing michelle, lots of little things.
also why didn't the usfsa allow tonya to sue the usfsa--what was they afraid of .

Now that is just harsh.
I don't like the way she handled this whole WDs, I think it's fair to criticize her on the poor decisions she made about them and hope she learns something from this.
However, the rest of your argument I can't agree or blame on her.
If the cheating part is about the flutz, it was a different time then. A LOT of the other skaters took off with wrong edges, they all would've struggled in todays CoP.
I do not think she's gonna show up at Natls, but *if* she somehow manage herself to participate, get fully shaped, skates at her best, being top of the podium, I don't see any unfairness giving her one of the oly spots. She's earning it fair and square.