World Team Trophy - Day 3 | Page 47 | Golden Skate

World Team Trophy - Day 3

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats Team Japan!!! Great job Wakaba and Mai!!!

I literally pfffffed when I saw the scores, ISU has reached a new level of nonsense and ridicule with those numbers. Just LOL everyone!!!!

Well the ISU in the spirit of a fun competition, and if you look hard enough at the protocols you will see a Pink Bow next to the scores. ;)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Wakaba gets more GOE but Mihara is more consistent... Mihara also gets slightly better PCS though I think if Wakaba gets a better program and a bit more consistent that will even out. If Nationals are 1. Satoko 2. Wakaba 3. Mihara will they send Wakaba (if Wakaba and Mihara have similiar results on GP)? Mihara had better results this season... (though should she have gotten edge calls at Worlds, b.esp guy thought so if I remember correctly?)

I think Mai looked a bit nervous and I honestly preferred Wakaba's jumps this time. But Mai has delivered all season, her debut season and won 4CC. I think that's the reason her PCS are slightly higher, and I'm okay with it. Both Scheherazade and Cinderella aren't exactly the best programs. They both need much better programs next year.

narcissa

Record Breaker
No. If other skaters have comparable of even higher BV than Evgenia consistently next season the PCS of those skaters will go up. I just hope that Zagitova's PCS won't be as ridiculous as it was at Nationals. Wakaba with a 3A is a threat imo. And she doesn't have to be all that consistent, she only has to go clean at the Olympics.

I don't think that if Wakaba goes clean she will get 160+ lol.

This is already a joke. Welp, reminds me why I didn't bother watching women's event haha. :unsure:

NordEsque

On the Ice
I think Mai looked a bit nervous and I honestly preferred Wakaba's jumps this time. But Mai has delivered all season, her debut season and won 4CC. I think that's the reason her PCS are slightly higher, and I'm okay with it. Both Scheherazade and Cinderella aren't exactly the best programs. They both need much better programs next year.

Like them both (love Wakaba :biggrin:), but this is so true. What are the odds that Satoko won't win Nationals? Cause if she doesn't and has a good season she is pretty much guaranteed a spot anyway, which mean that the winner of Nationals will probably get the other one....

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Like them both (love Wakaba :biggrin:), but this is so true. What are the odds that Satoko won't win Nationals? Cause if she doesn't and has a good season she is pretty much guaranteed a spot anyway, which mean that the winner of Nationals will probably get the other one....

I wouldn't bet on that... for me, Mai and Satoko are pretty even going into next season. Satoko has been Japanese first for 3 years, but I never felt like the JSF supported her as such like they did with Mao for example. And while she got the silver at WC 2011, her next finish was 6th and Mai's 5th this year was better. If they do equally well next season, I have no idea who the JSF would go with :think: Wakaba is a step behind these two, but if she gets that 3A out there... it's a game changer.

It really is tough that they only have 2 spots :sad21:

sublimeskating

Crouching Dreamer, Hidden Badass
On the Ice
congrats to all the winning teams and all the skaters who participated are worthy of praise too for their sportsmanship and effort! :love:

those medals are BEAUTIFUL!!! omg!!! :love:

Nika09

On the Ice
Mihara needs good choreographer. With beautiful, rich program she could be joy to watch.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I wouldn't bet on that... for me, Mai and Satoko are pretty even going into next season. Satoko has been Japanese first for 3 years, but I never felt like the JSF supported her as such like they did with Mao for example. And while she got the silver at WC 2011, her next finish was 6th and Mai's 5th this year was better. If they do equally well next season, I have no idea who the JSF would go with :think: Wakaba is a step behind these two, but if she gets that 3A out there... it's a game changer.

There is also the fact that we have no idea how well Satoko will recover, that is not an easy injury. For all we know, she might come back well, or she might have jump issues even more so. Who knows. It really is a mess there, with two spots. And then there is the media darling :rolleye:...

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan

With the exception of winning the Grand Prix Final, I don't think that anybody can assume that they will be picked without winning Nationals.

liv

Record Breaker
Japan nats for ladies will be like the men in 2014. Blood bath, with many candidates. Work hard, ladies, is all I can say.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Wait, I got it wrong. The total scores apparently will count for the PB/SBs even if they don't count for the competition itself.

NordEsque

On the Ice

Yeah, but Satoko has been silver medalist at GPF two years in a row right? So if she gets back into shape after her injury I think she has the best chance of being chosen. True that Mai has a bit more going for her than Wakaba though, but if Wakaba has just as good a GP season as Mai and she wins Nationals... The judges at WTT didn't score Mai and Wakaba that differently. I think best chance for Wakaba is winning Nationals...(and having a 3A).

Yeah, I'm truly sad that there are only two spots

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
^ Yes, she's been silver medalist at the GPF twice in a row, but I'm not sure how much JSF is going to look for that. One of those times was when Mai & Wakaba were still in juniors, and they might want to go with the "more potential for the future" aspect too. It's really a toss-up for me.

There is also the fact that we have no idea how well Satoko will recover, that is not an easy injury. For all we know, she might come back well, or she might have jump issues even more so. Who knows. It really is a mess there, with two spots. And then there is the media darling :rolleye:...

Yes, that is true... although I really hope she'll recover completely and come back strong, that timing of that injury was so horrible, especially for her (not to forget the JSF basically trying to pester her into competing and training with it when she should have been resting. Ugh.) About Marin, I have absolutely no idea. She has that talent to peak at the right moment, but in this case, she will have to have a really strong first half of the season to even qualify. And transitions from Juniors to Seniors often don't go quite as expected, so she's basically a wildcard for me. Although I guess with all the hype she gets, if the selection is open, Marin is going to get favored.

Kaori isn't without chances either. Girl has great jumps, great speed... and in my dreams, she brings that 3A too and we have 2 active ladies going for it again :drama:

Last edited:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Thoughts

Men :

So you have Yuzuru, Shoma, Javi, Nathan, Boyang and eventually Patrick batting for gold (the latter not having as many quads but ice is slippery and his skating is the objectively best). Boyang not as high with PCS too but we are one toepick away from seeing one of the best men events or one of the worst...

Ladies :

A bit angry Japan has only 2 spots : Marin, Satoko, Mai and Wakaba all deserve to go :(
Medvedeva is monstruously (is that a word?) consistent and very technically superior. Imma beat the **** out of Averbukh if we get another weird/war program, she deserve something modern, maybe edgy. If Zagitova goes Senior we have : Medvedeva, Zagitova, Radionova, Pogorilaya, Sotskova, Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova, and maybe Lipinitskaya going for war at Nats. Sick. Though Pogo really put herself in a tough position after worlds :/
US ladies are clearly not consistent enough, and never together. But still a battle between : Gold, Wagner, Edmunds, Chen, Bell and Nagasu for those 3 spots. Anyone could have them. (And if Gold gets herself a consistent season, she has the best chance to medal YES)
The rise of Canadian Ladies is pretty awesome and no stress battle for nationals so we might see better skating from them than from US Ladies or some Russian Ladies for example.
Sad that France has only one spot :(
Zijun :clapper: Go for it girl no one can take that spot away from you !
Add Carolina to the mix. That's a lot of potential good skates in PyeongChang !

Pairs :

Are we even going to top this season ?
J/C, S/M, S/K, T/M, S/H, D/R are on the hunt for medals. I'd say S/H and S/M have an advantage, but J/C rise is beyond unexpected for me. T/M have bad programs but what can they do with great ones ? S/K had a rough season but can redeem themselves and go for it. D/R might peak at the right moment (you're not 2-time WC for nothing).

Dance :

Top 2 seems to be already written for a lot of people but I won't get too confident about that. We cannot say anything before the very first competitions.
I liked that none of the medalists were there, so that we had a Canadian-American battle 2014-2015 style. And it helps with the momentum, especially for Weapo. Aside from V/M and P/C, the hunt for medals is between : Shibsibs, Weapo, C/B, C/L, B/S, H/D, and even G/P !

HELP I HAVE NO IDEA WHO CAN WIN THIS !
THIS IS GOING TO BE THE LONGEST OFF-SEASON EVER.
:drama:
(and ice is still slippery)

NordEsque

On the Ice
With the exception of winning the Grand Prix Final, I don't think that anybody can assume that they will be picked without winning Nationals.

I don't mean that she is guaranteed, but she is the most consistent of the Japanese ladies (two silvers at GPF is no joke either and 3-time Japan Champion) and she has been getting good results. Which is why I think she has the best chance to still be picked if she doesn't win Nationals. She has to have a good season though. If Wakaba is inconsistent during the GP season but places better than Satoko at Nationals I still think Satoko might be favored (unless Wakaba wins Nationals or has a good 3A). I think Wakaba is the lady with the most to do basically.

EDIT: Haha, sorrt just re-read my post I did write guaranteed :biggrin: sorry sorry, but I just meant that given how consistent she is she has a very good chance

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
How can you call someone "consistent" that doesn't even show up at the last four competitions that they wanted her to be at?

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Yes, that is true... although I really hope she'll recover completely and come back strong, that timing of that injury was so horrible, especially for her (not to forget the JSF basically trying to pester her into competing and training with it when she should have been resting. Ugh.) About Marin, I have absolutely no idea. She has that talent to peak at the right moment, but in this case, she will have to have a really strong first half of the season to even qualify. And transitions from Juniors to Seniors often don't go quite as expected, so she's basically a wildcard for me. Although I guess with all the hype she gets, if the selection is open, Marin is going to get favored.

Kaori isn't without chances either. Girl has great jumps, great speed... and in my dreams, she brings that 3A too and we have 2 active ladies going for it again :drama:

I forgot about Kaori :palmf: At least Rika isn't eligible or I'd have just said lol no and walked away.
Yes, I am the same. I am crossing everything she manages a full recovery and I also hope that all the hard work she did, that led to the injury, will pay off for her. I give her massive props for working on that (and actually putting her health first, go her).
First half of the season will so count, no doubt, fingers crossed for Mai and Wakaba! It's impossible to call really but yes, if it is in any way open, Marin will get the push.

One good thing for me is that I am certain that 2018 aside, we'll be seeing Wakaba for a long while, and Mai too (hopefully her health holds) so I hope both of them pace themselves well, it's not the end of the world if it doesn't go perfectly next season.

Last edited:

Nika09

On the Ice
:eek:topic:
Just want to say: Nathan looked extremely handsome in those glasses during victory ceremony!
Yuzuru, Shoma, Kolyada, Jason and Mai - cuties!