Would You Rather... | Page 47 | Golden Skate

Would You Rather...

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My most luxurious skating competition attendance was 2019 nationals in Detroit (the brand new arena, fabulous! and I was 3 rows from the ice). And when there, I get to stay with my son and daughter-in-law, which is like staying in my own home, because it used to be my home! So the latter. Having said that, I also love to go to other places I'd never been for a comp - Greenville, NC and Kansas City, MO are notable. I would love to go to Talinn for any competition there. Not speaking Finnish would be fun ... I'd listen a lot!

Would you rather learn a completely "new to you" foreign language or a completely "new to you" sewing skill like quilting, knitting, needlepoint, etc.?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
My most luxurious skating competition attendance was 2019 nationals in Detroit (the brand new arena, fabulous! and I was 3 rows from the ice). And when there, I get to stay with my son and daughter-in-law, which is like staying in my own home, because it used to be my home! So the latter. Having said that, I also love to go to other places I'd never been for a comp - Greenville, NC and Kansas City, MO are notable. I would love to go to Talinn for any competition there. Not speaking Finnish would be fun ... I'd listen a lot!

Would you rather learn a completely "new to you" foreign language or a completely "new to you" sewing skill like quilting, knitting, needlepoint, etc.?
Having done my PhD in linguistics, obviously I'm going to go for the language, although I read them much better than I speak them. With crafts, I'm a real fumblefingers. When I told someone I felt lost after my mother died, she started to say all the usual grief-comforting things until I said it was because when I knitted, and dropped a stitch, I'd take it to her and she'd whip that AWOL stitch back in line in a blur of needles. Never had learned how to do it myself. Still haven't -- now I have one daughter-in-law who picks up the pieces for me ;).

Would you rather try eating out in new recommended restaurants, or experiment with new recipes at home?

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I don't cook, so restaurant 100%.

Would you rather have multiple monitors connected to your Macbook or just a very, very ,big one?

Olly96

Cats, bats & figure skating
On the Ice
Country
Estonia
I would love to go to Talinn for any competition there. Not speaking Finnish would be fun ... I'd listen a lot!
We speak Estonian here 😊
Language related to Finnish but still a bit different. Would love to see you at our competitions! 😊
Would you rather have multiple monitors connected to your Macbook or just a very, very ,big one?
One big one, I think.
Though I work with two screens, a smaller one and a bigger one and it's quite convenient!

If invited to a wedding, would you rather buy a new outfit or wear something that you already have?

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I rarely go to places where very formal dressing code is required. I do have some very formal dresses for this purposes that I rarely wear and would in principle try to wear one of them for this wedding, unless buying a new one was required, for some reason. Don't like spending money on something that will take more space in my closet and who knows when I will have to wear it again (unless it's skate dresses, 😂)
And I do have a very big, curved screen connected to my Macbook, which I love. Have tried the multiple screen method, not for me.

If having to choose one single event, would you rather skate at a competition or skate at an exhibition/show?

Olly96

On the Ice
Country
Estonia
Show, I think, because it's less pressure 😆
Though as a spectator I much prefer competitions because there is some kind of result/intrigue.

If there is a movie/game/book that you are very interested in but it is in a foreign language (the one that you know), would you rather try to watch/read it in the original language or wait for a translation?

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Original language 100%.
Of course if I’m watching a film from bed at my sleep time (or documentary, or YouTube video), I’ll choose a language I can understand without subtitles (Hebrew or a language from countries I’ve lived in) since I will close my eyes at some point and keep listening to it as I slowly fall asleep but otherwise I don’t mind reading the subtitles on content which language I don’t know. I hate dubbed content and won’t watch it.

On a similar note, would you rather fall asleep with the TV on or have complete silence?

Olly96

On the Ice
Country
Estonia
Silence, I guess.
I would probably be simply too anxious to leave the TV on before going to sleep. Lights, on the other hand... 😂

Would you rather relive your favourite trip/travel from the past or go somewhere completely new and unfamiliar?

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I’m unable to sleep in complete silence. I’m an over thinker and would never fall asleep without the TV to focus on. However it must be a wanted sound (like someone speaking on the television). I’m a very light sleeper and wake up if there’s any unwanted noise.

And I rather keep coming back to places I like. I will try a new place after careful research and it has a place I want to visit and/or activities I want to do.

Would you rather stay at a hotel with many nice amenities or rent a spacious house/flat for staying at a vacation?

Olly96

On the Ice
Country
Estonia
I think a hotel, to not bother with chores and such during the vacation 😁

If you could turn into an animal for a day, would you rather want to become a cat or a dog?

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think a hotel, to not bother with chores and such during the vacation 😁

If you could turn into an animal for a day, would you rather want to become a cat or a dog?
I love cats, so I think being a cat would be fun...if I weren't sleeping all day like cats do. 😆

Would you rather get an autograph or a selfie from your favorite skater?

Olly96

On the Ice
Country
Estonia
A selfie would be so cool!
I have actually taken a picture with a Shoma poster that we had during 4CC in Tallinn 😂 Would be great to get a photo with the real one!

Would you rather be invited by your favourite skater to their house or invite them to your house?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
A selfie would be so cool!
I have actually taken a picture with a Shoma poster that we had during 4CC in Tallinn 😂 Would be great to get a photo with the real one!

Would you rather be invited by your favourite skater to their house or invite them to your house?
I am mentally trying to imagine him inside my 'welcoming' aka wellworn and cluttered living room and my head is exploding. Let's go to Sendai. yes.

Would you rather see your favourite skater as the headliner in a show in another country, or just in a crowd number in your own where you could go to it?

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Not in my own country since I don't live in it, but in the country where I live, so I can go see her, even though I went to Tallinn just to see her some years ago and she's not currently active in competition now

Scenario: you have an amazing coach, you both understand each other, she's angry and strict, kills you on every practice ,but gets you to skate your best and it's like your mother off ice. You have a favorite skater who you are inspired from, you have her as phone and computer background, watch her skates videos often etc etc ... and some miracle happens! You have the opportunity to be coached by her. Would you rather go be coached by your favorite skater or would you remain with your coach (can't say both, only 1 coach allowed)?

Olly96

On the Ice
Country
Estonia
Let's go to Sendai. yes.
Sendai is high on my priority list the next time I (hopefully) go to Japan, so I'm coming with you 😆
Would you rather go be coached by your favorite skater or would you remain with your coach (can't say both, only 1 coach allowed)?
I'd probably say the coach. I'm not good with change, so if the relationship with the current coach was working, I'd probably stick with that. Though a camp with my favourite skater skater would be great as well 😆

Would you rather go travelling with someone who is constantly complaining yet takes great pictures of you or someone who cannot take a good picture even if their life depended on it yet is pleasant and agreeable?

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Pleasant and agreeable, 100%! My husband is pleasant and agreeable, however I am the photographer of our household, he's not good at taking photos at all, and he's my constant companion for travel. And I wouldn't leave my coach for anything/anyone, even if for some miracle my favorite skater became a coach, came from Russia to Japan and was open to coach skaters. I would indeed attend a masterclass with her, but my coach is stuck with me until death

Would you rather go watch a ballet (like Swan Lake) or go watch contemporary dance?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Watch ballet!

WYR attend a concert of your favorite singer/group or a major figure skating competition?

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
SKATING, 100% (it doesn't even need to be major😂)

Would you rather go to the cinema or to the theater?

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Ballet ... however, depending on which opera and who is in it, I love to go too.

Would you rather take a business video meeting at late night or very early in the morning?