Your top programs from the last quad? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Your top programs from the last quad?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Do you guys feel like your choices for favorite programs are influenced by the skater who skates them or are you very objective when it comes to that?
I don't like many of Yuna Kim's programs, especially the LP at Sochi. But I like her 007 SP. (But it belongs the the previous quad so I didn't mention it here.
I don't like D/W very much, but their Notre FD is one of my favorite.
I love Dai, but in no way I would put his Moonlight Sonata SP on the list.
I love Yuzuru as well, but I don't like the programs David Wilson have choreoraphed for him.
I don't like V/T much, I acknowlegede their greatness but I don't like them. But their SP and LP are on my list.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Isn't Parisiene Walkways more Bluesy Jazz than plain rock? It sounds less angry and more cool.
'Rock Music' may be defiant, but this particular piece of music sounds like a musician showing off...which is the whole point of blues and jazz to my mind. :biggrin:
Therefore, for me, Hanyu is showing off his various tricks in time to the music. 'I bet you can't do this!' -sort of thing. Matches perfectly.

Yes, PW is Blues. Gary Moore is pretty much cited as the guy to create that genre, and PW is a good example. Blues is melodic, suave, smooth, melancholic, and probably a dozen other things. But it's not defiant, and PW isn't either.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Ok.... to maybe get away from this discussion about "What kind of spins and movements is a skater allowed to do to Rock/Jazz/"cool" music, which is a very absurd one to me:

Do you guys feel like your choices for favorite programs are influenced by the skater who skates them or are you very objective when it comes to that?
For example I recently realized that I liked every single program of Yuna Kim (eventhough there are defiantly some that weren't that outstanding). But I can't help liking her programs.
On the other hand I'm completely aware of the greatness and beauty of Mao's 2013/2014 programs, but they would never make my list, because I'm not a fan of her skating style.

So do you guys purely judge the program or does the skater influence you?

I am a fan of refined but powerful skating and Yuna's skating is just that. That's why I'm a big fan of hers. Although, there are a couple of programs from her I'm not fond of, like both her 2007-2008 programs and I also have reservations for Adios but just really a little bit. I still like Adios because she nailed and it was so musical.

I think I'm a little bit influenced by who the skater is but I try to judge the program based on execution. I'm very meticulous tho so there are only a few programs that fit my taste.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, PW is Blues. Gary Moore is pretty much cited as the guy to create that genre, and PW is a good example. Blues is melodic, suave, smooth, melancholic, and probably a dozen other things. But it's not defiant, and PW isn't either.

Gary Moore was born in 1952.

Blues arose in the Mississippi Delta region around 1900.
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/jimcrow/stories_events_blues.html

You need to be checking out musicians like W. C. Handy, Bessie Smith, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Geeshie Wiley and Elvie (L.V.) Thomas, and Robert Johnson. Heck, B.B.King is prior to Gary Moore.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gary Moore was born in 1952.

Blues arose in the Mississippi Delta region around 1900.
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/jimcrow/stories_events_blues.html

You need to be checking out musicians like W. C. Handy, Bessie Smith, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Geeshie Wiley and Elvie (L.V.) Thomas, and Robert Johnson. Heck, B.B.King is prior to Gary Moore.

Or, a few years later, Little Walter. Young 'uns.:laugh: But I am seeing the same issue with reactions to Jason's program to Juke; although certainly not "authentic" (no more than Riverdance is Irish), with its roots in the shake or solo blues dancing of the 40s, and folks keep comparing it to some dance in the 80s I've never heard of. Then again, I don't know any of the non-classical music to which Jeremy Abbot skates ...

ETA: I did not mean to sound dismissive that I have not heard of the dance; that was my issue that I did not know it. Jason and his team should be aware that the move could be misinterpreted, I think.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Ok.... to maybe get away from this discussion about "What kind of spins and movements is a skater allowed to do to Rock/Jazz/"cool" music, which is a very absurd one to me:

For example I recently realized that I liked every single program of Yuna Kim (eventhough there are defiantly some that weren't that outstanding). But I can't help liking her programs.
On the other hand I'm completely aware of the greatness and beauty of Mao's 2013/2014 programs, but they would never make my list, because I'm not a fan of her skating style.

I think it's obvious from my list that the skater influences me, but I would have to say it's like the chicken and the egg. I like Yulia's programs the best because I can watch them over and over and over again and never get bored. But which comes first: that Yulia has great programs and I like them the best, or I like her way of skating and so I like all of her programs?

The last ladies skater I really liked was Sasha and I didn't like all of her programs, so it's not just because Yulia's my favorite skater to watch. I think if there's just something about a person's skating that you respond to completely you'll like everything whereas with others it's just certain programs at specific times you'll like. Did that make any sense?

TMC

Record Breaker
Jason and his team should be aware that the move could be misinterpreted, I think.

Yep. I watched the videos that you shared and I see where you're coming from, but that move still looks more like the sprinkler to me than anything else.

gotoschool

Medalist

I have to admit that I am not very objective, so I really connect with a skater subjectively. The first one I did this with was Kristi Yamaguchi. But, the one I love watching the most is Mao Asada because, as Isabel O'Reilly said about Yulia, I can watch Mao's best performances repeatedly and still get emotional. I also feel a big connection to Midori Ito. There are many other programs and skaters I like, but these are the only ones I could say I was really fans of. I do think Yuna Kim is an impressive skater, but her style just doesn't connect with me. There are also some new Junior skaters I really like such as Wakaba Higuchi, Evgenia Medvedeva and Maria Sotskova. It is definitely the style of the skater that appeals to me the most. I already voted in an earlier post.

jinhamasaki

Rinkside
I will put in my opinions for the Ladies since that is what I pay most attention to.

Ladies SP
1. GOLD: Mao ASADA: Nocturne No. 2 at 2014 Worlds
2. SILVER: Yu-na KIM: Send in the Clowns at 2014 Olympics
3. BRONZE: Carolina Koster: Ave Maria at 2014 Worlds
I had a tough time between Ave Maria, Asada's I Got Rhythm (2013 4CC), and Radionova's Nero

Ladies FS:
1. GOLD: Mao ASADA: Piano Concerto no 2 at 2014 Olympics
2. SILVER: Yu-na KIM: Les Miserables at 2013 Worlds
3. BRONZE: Yulia Lipnitskaya: Schindlers List at 2014 Olympics Team
I had a hard time deciding between Schindlers List, Kostner's Bolero (2014 Olympics)

QuadThrow

Medalist
i cannot detain to speak out my rankings:

MEN SP:
Machida, East of Eden
Takahashi, The Garden of Souls
Fernandez, Satan Takes Holiday

MEN FP:
Takahashi, Pagliacci

WOMEN SP:
Kim, Send in the Clowns
Kim, Giselle
Asada, Nocturne
Murakami, Prayer for Taylor

WOMEN FP:
Asada, Rachmaninoff
Kim, Adios Nonino
Koster, Bolero

PAIRS SP:
V/T Mascarade Waltz
S/S Pink Panther
P/T Lady Caliph
S/S When winter comes

PAIRS FP:
S/S Pink Panther
S/S Pina
V/T Black Swan

ICE DANCE SD:
D/W: Giselle
C/L: 42nd Street

ICE DANCE FP:
V/M HipHip ChinChin
V/M Carmen
D/W Die Fledermaus
I/K: Swan Lake
W/P:Humanity in Motion

Enjoy!

anyanka

Record Breaker
Hi satine94! I didn't include any SPs but I'm going to give you a few in order of preference:

Ladies SP:
1. Mao - 2014 W
2. Caro - 2014 W
3. Yuna - 2014 OG
4. Yuna - 2011 W
5. Makarova - 2011 W [am I the only one who enjoyed this!]

Men SP:
1. Yuzu - 2014 OG (team and men)
2. Chan - 2013 W
3. Brown - 2014 US nationals (Prince!!!)
4. Dai - 2011 W
5. Oda - 2011 W

Dance SD:
1. D/W - 2013 W
2. V/M - 2012 W
3. P/B - 2011 E
4. I/K - 2014 OG
5. B/S - 2013 W

Pairs SP:
1. V/T - 2014 OG
2. D/R - 2014 W
3. S/S - 2014 OG
4. MT/M - 2014 W
5. S/K - 2014 OG

Also, can you provide an updated ranking? We seem to be getting more and more of them. :)

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Sure thing anyanka ;) I have everyone's rankings noted, I just have to go through and add all the points up.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Recently added votes by: Meoima(did you mean I/K's Swan Lake?), Danja(Pairs LP 2 & 3 were tied, given 1.5 points apiece), jimeonji, jenm, treeloving, Isabel_O'Reilly, Florencito(I thought Yuna's KotV was more wow-worthy than her LM program as well, though I do adore both :biggrin:), jinhamasaki, QuadThrow, & anyanka!l

Men's SP
GOLD - Daisuke's In The Garden Of Souls(26 points)
SILVER - Yuzuru's Parisienne Walkways(21 points)
BRONZE - Jason's The Question Of U(20 points)

Men's FS
GOLD - Daisuke's Blues for Klook(28 points)
SILVER - Yuzuru's Romeo and Juliet v.1(25 points)
BRONZE - Jason's Riverdance(16 points)

Ladies' SP
GOLD - Mao's Chopin's Nocturne No.2(41 points)
SILVER - Yuna's Send in the clowns(27 points)
BRONZE - Caro's Ave Maria(26 points)

Ladies' FS
GOLD - Yuna's Les Mis(32.5 points)
SILVER - Mao's Piano Concerto No.2 Rach(26.5 points)
BRONZE - Akiko's O & Yulia's Schindler's List (22 points apiece)

Pairs SP
GOLD - V/T's Masquerade Waltz(24 points)
SILVER - S/S's Pink Panther(12 points)
BRONZE - V/T's The Godfather(7 points)

Pairs FS
GOLD - S/S's Pina(16 points)
SILVER - S/S's The Nutcracker(13 points)
BRONZE - V/T's Jesus Christ Superstar(10 points)

Dance SD
GOLD - D/W's Giselle(24 points)
SILVER/BRONZE - I/'K's Bei mir bist du schön & V/Ms Hip Hip Chin Chin/Temptation/Mujer Latina (8 points apiece)

Dance FD
GOLD - D/W's Scheherazade(16 points)
SILVER - V/M's Carmen (13 points)
BRONZE - D/W'S Notre Dame de Paris & I/K's Swan Lake (11 points apiece)

eta: I was going to add the choreographers to the credit, but I had trouble finding some of them :eek::
Remember you can still vote if you haven't, or you can change your vote if you've thought of another program. I'll keep tallying as long as is needed :)

TMC

Record Breaker
How cool is it that Yuzu & Jason are only 19 and yet they hold both sp and lp silver & bronze positions??? :)

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
How cool is it that Yuzu & Jason are only 19 and yet they hold both sp and lp silver & bronze positions??? :)

It's pretty cool. I also find it quite interesting that Daisuke, Yuzuru, & Jason retain their order for both the SP & FS. :think:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Men's SP
GOLD - Daisuke's In The Garden Of Souls(26 points) David Wilson
SILVER - Yuzuru's Parisienne Walkways(21 points) Jeffrey Buttle
BRONZE - Jason's The Question Of U(20 points) Rohene Ward

Men's FS
GOLD - Daisuke's Blues for Klook(28 points) Pasquale Camerlengo
SILVER - Yuzuru's Romeo and Juliet v.1(25 points) listed as Nanami Abe, but I've also read that it was Natalia Bestemianova and Igor Bobrin.
BRONZE - Jason's Riverdance(16 points) Rohene Ward

Ladies' SP
GOLD - Mao's Chopin's Nocturne No.2(41 points) Lori Nichol
SILVER - Yuna's Send in the clowns(27 points) David Wilson
BRONZE - Caro's Ave Maria(26 points) Lori Nichol

Ladies' FS
GOLD - Yuna's Les Mis(32.5 points) David Wilson
SILVER - Mao's Piano Concerto No.2 Rach(26.5 points) Tatiana Tarasova
BRONZE - Akiko's O & Yulia's Schindler's List (22 points apiece) Camerlengo for Suzuki, Ilia Averbukh for Lipnitskaya

Pairs SP
GOLD - V/T's Masquerade Waltz(24 points) ISU bio says Alla Kapranova
SILVER - S/S's Pink Panther(12 points) Ingo Steuer
BRONZE - V/T's The Godfather(7 points)

Pairs FS
GOLD - S/S's Pina(16 points) Ingo Steuer
SILVER - S/S's The Nutcracker(13 points) Ingo Steuer and David Wilson
BRONZE - V/T's Jesus Christ Superstar(10 points)

Dance SD
GOLD - D/W's Giselle(24 points)
SILVER/BRONZE - I/'K's Bei mir bist du schön & V/Ms Hip Hip Chin Chin/Temptation/Mujer Latina (8 points apiece)

Dance FD
GOLD - D/W's Scheherazade(16 points)
SILVER - V/M's Carmen (13 points)
BRONZE - D/W'S Notre Dame de Paris & I/K's Swan Lake (11 points apiece) Nikolai Morozov for I/K

eta: I was going to add the choreographers to the credit, but I had trouble finding some of them :eek::
I've added the ones I know of to the post in bold. D/W and V/M will usually have Zoueva listed as choreographer, and prior to 2012 Zoueva and Shpilband, but I don't think she did Carmen.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I've added the ones I know of to the post in bold. D/W and V/M will usually have Zoueva listed as choreographer, and prior to 2012 Zoueva and Shpilband, but I don't think she did Carmen.

Please add my vote for Virtue/Moir's Carmen. Choreo by Jennifer Swan. (Whether Zoueva claimed co-credit, I don't remember for sure.)

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker

Thanks, Buttercup~ It's pretty easy to find credits for singles, but I wasn't sure on several of the dance & pairs. I'll add the notes to my file.

Please add my vote for Virtue/Moir's Carmen. Choreo by Jennifer Swan. (Whether Zoueva claimed co-credit, I don't remember for sure.)

Sure thing. Any other picks?