Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021 | Page 68 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021

kiches

Final Flight
So impressed with how he changed the last to jumps after the pop, crazy! Probably not the performance he was hoping for, but I think he’s progressing nicely toward the final. So happy he’s made it to Torino!

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Congratulations Yuzuru for making it to the GPF for the eighth time! (sad though about Jason )

I know Yuzuru wanted a scintillating performance before his compatriots, but to be honest I want him to peak at GPF and Worlds.

Praying he will remain healthy for the rest of the season and continue to amaze us all.

Edited "seventh" to "eighth." He qualified for last season's GPF but didn't compete there due to injury.

He said to Roman "You are high". No, Yuzu he is not on drugs, he is just tall :laugh2: Man, I bet you will not become fluent in English even if they inject it to you. You are that stubborn and it adds a layer to your cuteness :luv17:

Nachi

On the Ice
Could they not give him crowns? The man just can not cooperate with them :biggrin:

But he looks so cute with crowns. I had to laugh when they started mentioning it and Yuzu was already like "Wait what? A CROWN?! ㅠㅠ" And when Roman pulled him close...awww...too sweet!

Oh, I'm so happy. Have to go wake up the husband and chew his brain with talking about Yuzu. Bye for now :love:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
He was more nervous and pressured than we can ever know, he popped and had to YOLO his way out... and he still made enough to get only the second 300+ score this Grand Prix season (the first being of course... him).

And some carpers and complainers think he should have retired?

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
CONGRATULATIONS!

Much as I wish he could have skated clean and gotten the world record back, I looooooove his YOLO jumps. They show how smart and creative he is. :biggrin:

And how adorable was he at the medal ceremony!? :love: :love: :love:

It looked like he was kind of leaning on Roman for a while. :luv17: So cute. "You are high" is correct in Japanese. :laugh: It was not as silly a mistake as it might seem.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
His YOLOing is uniquely brilliant, the mark of the genius he is.

I think the relief to have the jinxed second GP over must be overwhelming any regret for the errors...

ankifeather

Final Flight
He survived!!! Now please stay healthy all the way to Italy!

Also holy wow at his ability to rewrite the whole 2nd half LP to maintain the 4 quads after the pop. But the PCS ...(judges ugh..).

But that was such a funny ceremony, you can tell he is just relieved to get through it unscathed.

4T+3T being marked as under-rotated and receiving negative GOE is just ridiculous :noshake: I see you Judge 4, you want to make us less excited about YOLO jumps? You are mistaken sir :devil: we are excited and so happy :yahoo:

CarolPooh

Rinkside
I was amazed by his YOLO jumps. My mind went blank when he popped the quad and couldn't compute what he should do next. It was not perfect but the performance is magical and I am so happy that he is still healthy. And he doesn't need to be perfect in NHK and can peak later.

rogueaxel

Spectator
Congratulations to Yuzu!

I was not able to watch the event on live broadcast, and was only following updates about the men's fs on twitter, and immediately, upon learning that his legs were visibly shaking at the opening pose, I felt like a ton of rocks descended on my heart. I was so worried because I've always had this perception that Yuzu is stable as a rock when dealing with pressure (heck, the way he handled himself at the Olympics while still being injured is proof of that) and he is fearless. So my heart ached so much when I saw that hint of vulnerability, and even more so after learning that he really feared coming out of the 2nd GP event with an injury. Oh, Yuzu. It's understable though that he'd have trauma when it comes to 2nd GPs and injuries. Heck, even we, fans, wish him health for this GP above all else - health even takes precedence over him winning. So, imagine my relief when I saw him being happy and playful with 2 working ankles during the victory ceremony. Yuzu, please stay healthy and happy.

Anyway, it's astounding how he was able to quickly think on his feet as he was skating while being nervous and being worried about getting injured. That was quite a feat. Overall, the SC version is more nuanced and is less reserved, but this isn't even a bad performance. I mean, without knowing the intended layout, one would think that he did very few mistakes here and that is all thanks to his YOLO-ing prowess.

As for the SP, I actually like the NHK version better of Otonal compared to the SC one. Yes, Yuzu was more expressive in the latter, but I personally think his timing and step sequence are better in the former. Nothing much, I just want to say that I think Yuzu's performances here aren't really inferior to the ones he did in SC despite the huge difference in the total combined score.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I was amazed by his YOLO jumps. My mind went blank when he popped the quad and couldn't compute what he should do next. It was not perfect but the performance is magical and I am so happy that he is still healthy. And he doesn't need to be perfect in NHK and can peak later.

I had the exact opposite reaction. For a second, I was heartbroken, but then I thought, "Wait. WAIT. That was supposed to be a combo, right? WE'RE SO GONNA GET YOLO JUMPS. YES."

As if the jumps themselves aren't amazing enough, the way he fits them to the music so well that no one who didn't already know the layout would ever know that they weren't planned is incredible. I know he already has a big part in his own choreography, but I hope he also does some choreography for other skaters someday! (Maybe Vadim Voronov!)