2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies SP | Page 54 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies SP

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm tired of it too but that doesn't mean she didn't perform it well..... .3 points more then bradie pcs is a farce

She shouldn't be penalized because the judges have seen her program before. But apparently, she was. Her PCS should have been higher. As for Bradie, she skated well but is kind of boring. I have forgotten her program already but remember
Ashley's.

twirlingblades

Medalist
I stopped watching and following TSL a couple of years ago. Dave is catty and unkind. I don't I think he deserves any attention that he gets. I refuse to give him the benefit of one follower on any social media or one view on his YouTube account.

I follow Jonathan Beyer on twitter, not TSL, but TSL commented on one of his tweets,so I checked the twitter b/c curiosity. TSL literally tweeted “I can’t think of one element Ashley is good at” or something along those lines... it’s just... leave her alone.

quadrupleaxel15

On the Ice
Here's an explanation: a messy program results in lower PCS. Shocking idea, I know!

Not when the "messy" parts don't interfere with the rest of the performance. Not internationally at least. Each component are marked separately and I don't think Ashley's overall performance was affected by her technical mistakes today.

TCAngel18

Medalist
Not when the "messy" parts don't interfere with the rest of the performance. Not internationally at least. Each component are marked separately and I don't think Ashley's overall performance was affected by her technical mistakes today.

Exactly! SS and TR you can leave there, but Performance, Interpretation And Composition were undermarked by .5 each. That puts her at 67.5, close to the 68 I see her at, relative to the other performances.

WAC172

Rinkside
It's the triple Axel, not a double Toe. How many ladies, exactly, in the Senior competition are landing the 3A right now? How many Junior girls? I'll give you a hint - one hand is all you need to count both of those together.
How old is Mirai Nagasu again?

She's rocking it. She has the guts to go for that, and now she's added the Lz combo. If there's one lady that's been advancing, against all the odds, it's Mirai. Knock on wood and she can hold steady on the 5th and skate cleanly because by George, she's 'earned' it by pushing forward and not giving up.

I don’t disagree with that, but I think it’s telling that she supposedly hits them all clean in practice, but when it matters most, she doesn’t. You can’t ignore the Grand Prix results, even though I do remember thinking she was judged unfairly in one of them. Is she pushing herself? Yes, of course. But I thought tonight she was a bit overscored relative to Bradie. The board here was more positive on her than I felt, so could have just been my opinion.

temadd

Final Flight
I follow Jonathan Beyer on twitter, not TSL, but TSL commented on one of his tweets,so I checked the twitter b/c curiosity. TSL literally tweeted “I can’t think of one element Ashley is good at” or something along those lines... it’s just... leave her alone.

Like I said catty and unkind. I could think of some awful things to say about Dave but I will restrain myself

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
And to sum up the ladies short program: a shocking PCS scoring controversy. There are posters blowing smoke, a few drinking hot chocolate and i know some are swilling the whine. Buckle up because this train is about to leave the station, destination Pyeonchang or bust.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I don’t disagree with that, but I think it’s telling that she supposedly hits them all clean in practice, but when it matters most, she doesn’t.

Competition and practice are two entirely different things. You can land everything at high percentage in practice, but a competition is a whole different ball game. It's perfectly normal that it's taking this long for a jump of this difficulty to settle in as this is her first season with it. Again, she's not introducing just anything, it's the 3A that has many men stumped. She's actually doing quite well. And she's doing it in an Olympic season, when it's pretty much do or die for her, considering her age. Now that's stress. She's doing more than fine.

And no, she was not overscored compared to Bradie.

skatespin

On the Ice
I actually find it remarkable, most ladies who attempt 3A will often make big costly error such as a downgrade <<, fall, pop into single axel or waltz jump. At every big competition Mirai has not popped it, not fallen, and has not received a downgrade. She often two foots the jump or has an awkward landing, but this is only her first season competing with it and she's 24. If she 2-foots a triple axel that's still way more impressive than a clean 2A. How many women hit 3A perfectly clean all the time? It will happen for her.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Why is everyone saying Mirai is overscored much? She rotated a 3A which is woth 6 point well over 2A and even with stepout still worth 6 points or 3 point extra from other lady doing 2A. She also rotated the 3T (there is 1/4 given so...) its not obvious hooked landing like Ashley/Karen. Her PCS still the lowest, she get 73 from her TES which is the highest today. The fact that Bradie have almost 41 TES with just 2A is a joke and her almost 33 PCS too

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
The arrogance of this astonishes me. Work up a new program right after nationals? She’s assuming she’ll go to the Olympics? With a repeat performance on Friday, she might not even make the Worlds team.... she might get 4CCs, but that’s in, like, 2weeks. No time for a new short before then, and Ashley doesn’t do 4CCs anyway.

I’ll bet USFSA got royally ticked when AW said at Skate America that it really wasn’t an important event for her. That her main focus was on Nationals so she could be on the Olympic team. Most anyone else would have loved to have been given the chance to skate at Skate America. If she felt that way, she could have declared herself injured 2 weeks before so someone else could have her spot.

I’ll bet that whole incident at SA didn’t go down well with USFSA. Reality check time...... No more favors....
Thank you so much for saying what I was thinking... Ashley's biggest mistake is she is forgetting her job is to skate well and deliver strong skating performances. Her job is to represent the US but she said it herself her training suffered because of her sponsorship obligations

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Bradie got higher PCS than what I would have given her, but so did Mirai. Overall, I think the standings are fair.