Stars on Ice 2018 - Canadian Tour | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Stars on Ice 2018 - Canadian Tour

m0001

On the Ice
looking forward to hearing how Toronto and other shows go on!!!!

I am still floating from the Montreal show....too bad it was just one evening. I would have gone back.

Surprised very few people bothered looking at Patrick's program I posted... it's so gorgeous... come on guys... you know you want to click on it ;)

4everchan, did you really post Patrick's program here? I can't find it? I know you posted it in the fan's thread.

mewanaXD

Rinkside
Did the storm in Toronto make some people's trip to the stadium difficult tonight?
Yeah I think the storm caused my go bus to be cancelled, and the next one came 45 min after, but thankfully i made it on time! Would 10000000% go to another one again.

synteis

Medalist
Toronto Show Review

Spoiler-free impressions:
Like @foreverchan said, if there is one SOI you see in your lifetime it should be this tour. The skating was of such an incredible calibre. Scattered around the ACC were these "book SOI 2019" promo papers. Before the show my mom discarded the one on her chair. At intermission she picked it up off the ground and said we should book for next year it had been so good and make it a yearly thing. Just truly magical.

The ACC was completely full in spite of gale force winds in Toronto this afternoon that had all manner of stuff falling. The crowd was so into every number. We all cheered our hearts out and by the end of the show my palms hurt like crazy and my voice was hoarse from all the screaming and I have absolutely zero regrets.

The feeling of community and team around these skaters was palpable and the group numbers were really fun, they never felt like filler. The finale was particularly outstanding.

One of the best performances of anything that I've ever seen.

Full on spoiler-filled review to follow, don't read under the hashtags if you don't want to be spoiled!

###############################

All of the skaters did two big numbers, one in each of the two acts along with several different group numbers.

Javier did two numbers. The first was a very character-filled Lindy Hop-esque piece that absolutely suited him and showed off his unique style so well. Then in his second number he did this absolutely emotional Spanish song that used the lighting so effectively. You could always spot him in the group numbers, his style shone through and he was always so into them. I was so glad to get to see him skate in person.

Elvis Stojko was a real highlight of the show. He did some great spins, footwork and jumps including several triples and a bunch of butterfly spins and traversing spins. He enthralled me every time he was on the ice and it was a real pleasure seeing his unique and distinctive style. My mum thought his skating was even better than she remembered. He really infused the show with so much showmanship, sincerity and energy. He did a number of upright spins that were so fast and so centred that they go standing ovations.

Jeffrey Buttle had outstanding programs that really told stories. They were each completely distinct from one another and also so unique. It was immediately apparent why he's such a respected and popular choreographer on the competitive circuit. His first program was about the journey of a friendship and made me cry real tears and his second was about going out and skating his heart out at the Olympics and featured some really cool moves. In both of his programs he straight up floated across the ice with his footwork. He honestly didn't look like he could be touching the ground. I could watch his skate crossovers for hours, I'm sure.

Kaitlin Weaver and Andrew Poje were great fun. I really got to see their unique style and sexiness. Their first tango-esque number used really unique music had some really cool moments and crazy chemistry and their second number was more of a grease-like story. Kaitlin also did a really great group number with Tessa and Scott where she and Tessa each skated with Scott in turns to music about like jealousy that was one of my favourite group numbers.

Gabrielle Daleman opened the show. You can really see how much she loves to dance in that first number as well as her truly giant jumps. Her second number started a trend of people turning on their flashlights on their phones. The sight of the crowd of lights swaying to the music, her spellbinding skating and the reflection of the sparkles on her dress was one of my favourite moments of the whole show.

Megan Duhamel and Eric Radford got some of the craziest biggest cheers and also did some incredible stunts. They did three headbangers throughout the night and each time my mother practically had a heart-attack starting with one in the opening number. Megan is clearly crazy and fearless because her head sure looked close to the ice at times from where we were. While Eric is clearly the more artistic partner, I thought she had some great artistic moments. They also did a throw 3-2-2(SBS) that was fantastic and very in-sync and completely impressive. They were truly a joy to watch skate and definitely were the most daring of the night. It really felt like they were just letting go and having a blast.

Patrick Chan really had a special night. He wore a Maple Leafs jersey for his first number and at last I got to see the joy back in his skating. He did some respectable jumps but the focus was truly his skating. He also was in a bunch of the group numbers including some great partner work with DR all the way to do a co-lift. But his "small" Hallelujah number brought tears to my eyes. It opened with the light shinning on the "Toronto" part of the Toronto Maple Leafs logo in the middle of the ice and the intro video was all about him apologizing to Eric and Scott after his performance in the team short program and them reassuring him that they were exactly where they needed to be. The sound of his blades across the ice, the way he floated throughout, just wow. There's definitely been moments where I've been less than impressed with him as a person but as a skater he's always been one of my favourites. His Hallelujah had some great jumping passes but it just felt so wonderfully balanced between his footwork, his jumps and his spins. After seeing him visibly struggle the last couple of years with his everything, getting to watch him skate for the joy of it, taking his fall in footwork early in the show in stride, was a magical moment.

Tessa and Scott completely brought down the house. Even their intro video was enough for the whole stadium to go insane. Their first number was this fantastic Michael Jackson number that reminded me of their Prince program. Really showcased that they can do styles that others struggle with so well. They were so in-sync and so tight on that number. In all of the group numbers that they danced together in it was almost impossible not to watch them. They're simply magnetic. They did the last solo act with Moulin Rouge and I was literally balling my eyes out by the end. All the lifts (including the scandalous Carmen one), their Ina Bauer/Spiral move that I absolutely adore. The music for Moulin Rouge started up for a short burst three times before it really started up so that the crowd could get some of their cheering out of the way before the music started for real and even then, people still went nuts when Roxanne started. Each of their lifts was the same thing and by the end the whole audience was on their feet screaming. Scott also acted as MC throughout a bunch of the event, using a portable camera for a number with audience interaction and one for the finale as well as a mic. I know that in the past people have been disappointed that their exhibition numbers haven't pushed the boat much but if this show was any indication, they will be pushing the boat more with future exhibition numbers.

Kaetlyn Osmond was such a highlight. Like my mum said, you could always see her in the group numbers because she was so graceful. She did a couple of spirals around the rink that were straight up magical. Before her first solo number there was this super cute video where all the world champions in the show introduced themselves and welcomed the newest member of the club and I totally lost it. Her first number was a very delicate and elegant piece and then her second was really fun used a hat to great effect. Her speed and grace flowed into these incredible and truly massive jumps. She did fall on her second jump in her first number (right in the same spot where Patrick fell on his footwork so I wonder if it was an ice issue) and really slammed into her hip but she skated it off and gave an excellent performance for both that number and all the ones afterwards. Her jumps in her second number were absolutely perfect and made me die they were so beautiful. It was such unique pleasure to get to watch her skate and she and Gabby had some pretty moments in the group numbers.

There was a fantastic group number where they highlighted the members of the team gold medal that made me tear up. The sense of family and team work and home country pride really shone through and I felt so honoured to be part of the same country as them. You could really feel how proud they'd been to represent Canada there and the extent to which working for that medal and skating for Team Canada had not only been what made it happen but also so much of what made this performance feel so special. This was another moment where I teared up.

The finale was to music from Dear Evan Hansen and was completely magical. It highlighted each of the skaters in turn and also had some great group moments. At the end Scott came out with the camera and mic again and introduced each of the skaters one by one as they performed a bit of a boogie and a trick. That they chose a song about overcoming bad moments in "You Will Be Found" really spoke to the kind of performance it was; emotional and heartwarming and so positive and sincere. The flow of emotions between the crowd and the performers was so special throughout but especially in the finale.

The crowd at this event was with the skaters 110%. The falls were created with cheers, most of the numbers had standing ovations. After each number, the quadrants of the stadium in turn competed to scream and clap themselves as sore as possible. I'm certain that I wasn't the only one who cried multiple times. The flashlight function on our phones was used several times after Gabby's number in the second act and it felt completely magical. Tonight really felt like one of those rare and special moments in our life when things just click. I have only good things to say about this production and please if you can, do yourself a favour and find a way to see it. Getting to watch this generation of Canadian figure skaters perform after the years they've given us and the very special season they've had was so wonderful. Even better than that was getting to show my love, appreciation and thanks for all the years that they've all skated for Canada and for the kind of attitude and sportsmanship that they've encouraged particularly at these last Olympic Games

synteis

Medalist
Did the storm in Toronto make some people's trip to the stadium difficult tonight?

There were definitely some people that were a little late arriving. My mum and I went out for sushi and then dessert beforehand and arrived 45min early so although there were some scary moments walking there, we took the TTC so didn't have any delays. But by the end of the second number every seat in the house was filled!

Scrufflet

Final Flight

Yes. Traffic was terrible. I was 15 min. late although I had a kamikaze driver who took every back street going. Trees had fallen down and we even saw pillows flying down two different streets (I don't know how but it really happened). He decided to lift my spirits by putting on "Puff the Magic Dragon". Again, I am shrugging my shoulders! At show's end, there was a 4-car collision at the corner and Bay St. was closed off. Felt like I was in New Yoek! With that show, I'd do it again! Anyone who misses it is just insane!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yes. Traffic was terrible. I was 15 min. late although I had a kamikaze driver who took every back street going. Trees had fallen down and we even saw pillows flying down two different streets (I don't know how but it really happened). He decided to lift my spirits by putting on "Puff the Magic Dragon". Again, I am shrugging my shoulders! At show's end, there was a 4-car collision at the corner and Bay St. was closed off. Felt like I was in New Yoek! With that show, I'd do it again! Anyone who misses it is just insane!

did you miss numbers???

CreepyBug

Rinkside
Toronto Show Review

Spoiler-free impressions:
Like @foreverchan said, if there is one SOI you see in your lifetime it should be this tour. The skating was of such an incredible calibre. Scattered around the ACC were these "book SOI 2019" promo papers. Before the show my mom discarded the one on her chair. At intermission she picked it up off the ground and said we should book for next year it had been so good and make it a yearly thing. Just truly magical.

The ACC was completely full in spite of gale force winds in Toronto this afternoon that had all manner of stuff falling. The crowd was so into every number. We all cheered our hearts out and by the end of the show my palms hurt like crazy and my voice was hoarse from all the screaming and I have absolutely zero regrets.

The feeling of community and team around these skaters was palpable and the group numbers were really fun, they never felt like filler. The finale was particularly outstanding.

One of the best performances of anything that I've ever seen.

Full on spoiler-filled review to follow, don't read under the hashtags if you don't want to be spoiled!

All of the skaters did two big numbers, one in each of the two acts along with several different group numbers.

Javier did two numbers. The first was a very character-filled Lindy Hop-esque piece that absolutely suited him and showed off his unique style so well. Then in his second number he did this absolutely emotional Spanish song that used the lighting so effectively. You could always spot him in the group numbers, his style shone through and he was always so into them. I was so glad to get to see him skate in person.

Elvis Stojko was a real highlight of the show. He did some great spins, footwork and jumps including several triples and a bunch of butterfly spins and traversing spins. He enthralled me every time he was on the ice and it was a real pleasure seeing his unique and distinctive style. My mum thought his skating was even better than she remembered. He really infused the show with so much showmanship, sincerity and energy. He did a number of upright spins that were so fast and so centred that they go standing ovations.

Jeffrey Buttle had outstanding programs that really told stories. They were each completely distinct from one another and also so unique. It was immediately apparent why he's such a respected and popular choreographer on the competitive circuit. His first program was about the journey of a friendship and made me cry real tears and his second was about going out and skating his heart out at the Olympics and featured some really cool moves. In both of his programs he straight up floated across the ice with his footwork. He honestly didn't look like he could be touching the ground. I could watch his skate crossovers for hours, I'm sure.

Kaitlin Weaver and Andrew Poje were great fun. I really got to see their unique style and sexiness. Their first tango-esque number used really unique music had some really cool moments and crazy chemistry and their second number was more of a grease-like story. Kaitlin also did a really great group number with Tessa and Scott where she and Tessa each skated with Scott in turns to music about like jealousy that was one of my favourite group numbers.

Gabrielle Daleman opened the show. You can really see how much she loves to dance in that first number as well as her truly giant jumps. Her second number started a trend of people turning on their flashlights on their phones. The sight of the crowd of lights swaying to the music, her spellbinding skating and the reflection of the sparkles on her dress was one of my favourite moments of the whole show.

Megan Duhamel and Eric Radford got some of the craziest biggest cheers and also did some incredible stunts. They did three headbangers throughout the night and each time my mother practically had a heart-attack starting with one in the opening number. Megan is clearly crazy and fearless because her head sure looked close to the ice at times from where we were. While Eric is clearly the more artistic partner, I thought she had some great artistic moments. They also did a throw 3-2-2(SBS) that was fantastic and very in-sync and completely impressive. They were truly a joy to watch skate and definitely were the most daring of the night. It really felt like they were just letting go and having a blast.

Patrick Chan really had a special night. He wore a Maple Leafs jersey for his first number and at last I got to see the joy back in his skating. He did some respectable jumps but the focus was truly his skating. He also was in a bunch of the group numbers including some great partner work with DR all the way to do a co-lift. But his "small" Hallelujah number brought tears to my eyes. It opened with the light shinning on the "Toronto" part of the Toronto Maple Leafs logo in the middle of the ice and the intro video was all about him apologizing to Eric and Scott after his performance in the team short program and them reassuring him that they were exactly where they needed to be. The sound of his blades across the ice, the way he floated throughout, just wow. There's definitely been moments where I've been less than impressed with him as a person but as a skater he's always been one of my favourites. His Hallelujah had some great jumping passes but it just felt so wonderfully balanced between his footwork, his jumps and his spins. After seeing him visibly struggle the last couple of years with his everything, getting to watch him skate for the joy of it, taking his fall in footwork early in the show in stride, was a magical moment.

Tessa and Scott completely brought down the house. Even their intro video was enough for the whole stadium to go insane. Their first number was this fantastic Michael Jackson number that reminded me of their Prince program. Really showcased that they can do styles that others struggle with so well. They were so in-sync and so tight on that number. In all of the group numbers that they danced together in it was almost impossible not to watch them. They're simply magnetic. They did the last solo act with Moulin Rouge and I was literally balling my eyes out by the end. All the lifts (including the scandalous Carmen one), their Ina Bauer/Spiral move that I absolutely adore. The music for Moulin Rouge started up for a short burst three times before it really started up so that the crowd could get some of their cheering out of the way before the music started for real and even then, people still went nuts when Roxanne started. Each of their lifts was the same thing and by the end the whole audience was on their feet screaming. Scott also acted as MC throughout a bunch of the event, using a portable camera for a number with audience interaction and one for the finale as well as a mic. I know that in the past people have been disappointed that their exhibition numbers haven't pushed the boat much but if this show was any indication, they will be pushing the boat more with future exhibition numbers.

Kaetlyn Osmond was such a highlight. Like my mum said, you could always see her in the group numbers because she was so graceful. She did a couple of spirals around the rink that were straight up magical. Before her first solo number there was this super cute video where all the world champions in the show introduced themselves and welcomed the newest member of the club and I totally lost it. Her first number was a very delicate and elegant piece and then her second was really fun used a hat to great effect. Her speed and grace flowed into these incredible and truly massive jumps. She did fall on her second jump in her first number (right in the same spot where Patrick fell on his footwork so I wonder if it was an ice issue) and really slammed into her hip but she skated it off and gave an excellent performance for both that number and all the ones afterwards. Her jumps in her second number were absolutely perfect and made me die they were so beautiful. It was such unique pleasure to get to watch her skate and she and Gabby had some pretty moments in the group numbers.

There was a fantastic group number where they highlighted the members of the team gold medal that made me tear up. The sense of family and team work and home country pride really shone through and I felt so honoured to be part of the same country as them. You could really feel how proud they'd been to represent Canada there and the extent to which working for that medal and skating for Team Canada had not only been what made it happen but also so much of what made this performance feel so special. This was another moment where I teared up.

The finale was to music from Dear Evan Hansen and was completely magical. It highlighted each of the skaters in turn and also had some great group moments. At the end Scott came out with the camera and mic again and introduced each of the skaters one by one as they performed a bit of a boogie and a trick. That they chose a song about overcoming bad moments in "You Will Be Found" really spoke to the kind of performance it was; emotional and heartwarming and so positive and sincere. The flow of emotions between the crowd and the performers was so special throughout but especially in the finale.

The crowd at this event was with the skaters 110%. The falls were created with cheers, most of the numbers had standing ovations. After each number, the quadrants of the stadium in turn competed to scream and clap themselves as sore as possible. I'm certain that I wasn't the only one who cried multiple times. The flashlight function on our phones was used several times after Gabby's number in the second act and it felt completely magical. Tonight really felt like one of those rare and special moments in our life when things just click. I have only good things to say about this production and please if you can, do yourself a favour and find a way to see it. Getting to watch this generation of Canadian figure skaters perform after the years they've given us and the very special season they've had was so wonderful. Even better than that was getting to show my love, appreciation and thanks for all the years that they've all skated for Canada and for the kind of attitude and sportsmanship that they've encouraged particularly at these last Olympic Games

That intro video was so cute. #too many world champions on one couch!

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Had an absolutely fabulous time at the show tonight, seeing a sold out ACC was unbelievable. This was hands down the best show I've been to out of all the ones I've been to, such an amazing experience.

Getting into the arena was a real challenge with all the line ups and the security but I made in pretty early. In the past shows I've been to they never opened up the upper level (300s sections) so I think that contributed to the line ups.

And yes Patrick wore a Maple Leafs jersey but he isn't fooling me! I know he's a Canucks fan. However the roar of the audience when the lights came on and they saw his jersey was deafening, absolutely hysterical.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Had an absolutely fabulous time at the show tonight, seeing a sold out ACC was unbelievable. This was hands down the best show I've been to out of all the ones I've been to, such an amazing experience.

Getting into the arena was a real challenge with all the line ups and the security but I made in pretty early. In the past shows I've been to they never opened up the upper level (300s sections) so I think that contributed to the line ups.

And yes Patrick wore a Maple Leafs jersey but he isn't fooling me! I know he's a Canucks fan. However the roar of the audience when the lights came on and they saw his jersey was deafening, absolutely hysterical.

he didn't wear a habs jersey in montreal ;) just some canada red jersey ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I was unable to go to SoI so I am very thankful for all the reports! I was thrilled to hear the ACC was sold out and that out was a marvellous production.

By the way, Shingo Nishiyama, the Japanese junior at the Cricket Club, posted a couple pictures of SoI, praised the production, and fanboyed a bit over Tessa and Scott: https://www.instagram.com/p/BiYcnIOj2Ub/?taken-by=shinnnnn_gooo

and fanboyed a bit over Patrick Chan : https://www.instagram.com/p/BiYcnIOj2Ub/?taken-by=shinnnnn_gooo

synteis

Medalist
Patrick definitely gave the most nods to it being in Toronto between the jersey and the highlighted Toronto during his second performance. I imagine there was a bit of a 'goodbye' and 'thank you' going on with that in particular.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Habs are our oldest rivals, even if he is moving to Vancouver, he at least still has some respect left for us Torontonians ;)

but his dad grew up in Montreal!!!!

I am just happy you got to see the show Krunchii.... what a wonderful time I had... and i cannot talk about other shows since i never have been until now... because i don't like those shows usually but you seem to confirm that this edition was special... which is what i felt. thanks for your report.

(as long as Patrick doesn't wear a red wings jersey, i am okay)

- - - Updated - - -

Yes! I just realized I misread that sentence. I'm staying up quite late because I'm under the weather (waiting on the med to work) and so I missed that. Thank you for bringing it up!

no worries ;) stay warm and get better soon

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Patrick definitely gave the most nods to it being in Toronto between the jersey and the highlighted Toronto during his second performance. I imagine there was a bit of a 'goodbye' and 'thank you' going on with that in particular.

in montreal, home of late Leonard Cohen, the reception of Hallelujah was very emotional... people were humming the tune next to me... I was, just a couple years ago, in front of Cohen's house when they had a vigil there after his death... so no jersey for us but the music made up for it... i feel that anywhere Patrick goes though, every Canadian will feel that he is skating for them in particular... we have embraced him so much and for long all over the country.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
did you miss numbers???

No, I squeeked into my seat on time and then they started 15 min. late as so many were still stuck in line. I was the last one out of the arena as they forgot I needed a wheelchair but I got to see all kinds of interesting things. The set takedown looks like a space station procedure, got to see the "security guard pep rally" of about 40 cheering for a job well done and then I missed WheelTrans but WHO CARES! This show was the best in all the ones I've seen over the years and I go back to Maple Leaf Gardens days.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
A bit more....
Excellent review synteis. Your mom was absolutely right about Elvis; best skating he's done in years! Ditto to all you've said and I would be repeating, I loved that Patrick stopped and spent time with people at the end. As I was leaving I am pretty sure I saw Gabby in a gorgeous red dress for the after-party.
I'm going to be floating on the fumes of this for quite some time.