2019 Junior Worlds Men's Short Program | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2019 Junior Worlds Men's Short Program

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Interesting step seq for Frangipani, but he's all wrong for Bond. I'd like to see him do something more Merce Cunningham.

Then again, I'm totally sick of Bond. Can someone spike his martini with something?

Kings

Rinkside
Agree. It is a smart strategy to go with, not to shoot all guns before the main thing, being solid and keeping the distance.

Well, kinda low-ish score...definitely lower than I expected...

I was thinking about this, and I wonder if the coaching strategy is to keep his short TES on the lower side of what he's capable of, so he has a better chance to skate clean and build his confidence going into the free. If so, that approach definitely seems to be working well.

I was expecting him to be a point or two higher, this is shaping up to be a very tight field!

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Ted Barton, absent from the stream but present in my heart: "Gabriele Frangipani has a lot of maturity to his skating. His jumps weren't all there today, but he did a good job fighting through the fatigue throughout the skate.

Let's take a look at some elements. You can see that he had so much height on his 3Lz he had plenty of time to end the revolutions and almost fall to the ice to land it well. The 3F was just outside the circle in the air, made it too hard to keep control on the landing."

oly2018

Final Flight
I think he deserves to be a few points between Petr. Stephen's skating just isn't as polished yet. He's 14, so not his fault, but it seems fair to me.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
I think its pretty accurate, to be honest. At least the PCS gap is justified between the two. They're both incredible skaters but Stephen was forward on some of the jumps.

I'm fine with Gogolev's score but I don't think Gumennik should have cracked 80. With a better skate, sure, but not with this skate.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
matteo rizzo made my day, to be perfect now daniel grassl should deliver a great performance. do i make celebratory lasagna just in case?

Shanshani

On the Ice
Gogo's scores are fine. His jumps weren't great quality today and his components aren't as good as some of the other boys we've seen so far, so being a few points behind is normal. He's done a perfectly good job of setting himself for the free--he doesn't need to lead the short.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Frangipani has some nice edges!

He sure has, I saw him live at Mentor Cup in January, very nice carriage and coverage, speed too. An elegant skater, pretty statuesque in a bit of opposition to Matteo's presence, at least for my impression (Matteo seeming shorter):)

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Um ... is Luc Maierhofer the same person as Basar Oktar? They look identical. (Trying for two cracks at the competition? :laugh:)

LaArdilla

Medalist
Oh dear, had to do a bit of work and missed both Petr and Steven. But it looks like the guys have been delivering so far, right? Not too many falls it seems.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
matteo rizzo made my day, to be perfect now daniel grassl should deliver a great performance. do i make celebratory lasagna just in case?

Did Matteo crack that 4T in SP?! Did he crack 90 pts?!?!

Last edited:

pearly

Record Breaker
Both Gumenik and Gogolev were surprisingly slow. I have to remind myself these are juniors.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Artur another smol cutie! I wish Joseph would lose this collar tho...