2022 Olympics Team Event Day2: Women's Short Program | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics Team Event Day2: Women's Short Program

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All this bashing on Karen is so unwarranted. She trains everyday for hours competing for this event, there’s no one more disappointed than her.

There’s many reasons she was chosen over Mariah. She has a much higher average SP score this season than Mariah, and has delivered under extremely high pressure stakes - 2017 and 2021 worlds - when she had to skate well when the other American women skated poorly to get the 3 spots.

Mariah’s been to 3 worlds and has placed 9th, 12th, and 12th. Karen’s been to 2 and placed 4th both times when no one expected her to.

Look at rocker skating practice notes as well. The USFS is paying attention to the practices. Karen has been landing 4-5 clean 3-3’s each practice session; Mariah hasn’t landed more than 1 solid 3-3 in Beijing practices.

There’s a chance after this SP that they will split the ladies instead of ice dance and put Mariah in due to Karen performing poorly.
There will be a huge uproar if the US women are split thereby preventing Chock and Bates from earning a team Olympic medal. Evan has been on 4 Olympic teams and Madi has been on 3 Olympic teams. They deserve an opportunity at winning an Olympic medal!

Amei

Record Breaker
How do you figure that she won the first 3 competitions she entered this season.

At Cranberry Cup, which is a warmup for a lot of skaters, at Lombardia and Nebelhorn she didn't go up against any top skaters which helped her win as she did have pops/under-rotations/falls. And if you look at her scores - Lombardia was her high score, her scores have been trending down since then to the extent that Mariah had the highest score on the GP circuit for the US ladies

lunastartron

Rinkside
Her 2 Worlds appearances, which has helped secure third spots, she has done what she could do - she was relatively clean. She benefited from the fact that in 2017 Pogorilaya imploded in the FS and in 2021 Rika did.
I think she largely performed to the best of her abilities and capitalized on the unravelings of Rika, Pogorilaya, etc … but she didn’t even manage deliver two consecutive skates without a fall in those instances, which was not necessarily an auspicious omen for managing to stay upright for the whole TE here.

MrMC18

Rinkside
No but for real some of you guys are actually terrible. Right after karen’s skate, instead of being sympathetic, your first thoughts were “This is why she’s such a liability. She didn’t deserve to be here, the USFS gifted her this spot over Mariah.” I expected to see comments like “poor Karen, hope she does well in the free skate!” But wow.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I’m tired of them screwing over Shabotova. Late 60s was probably too high considering she has some work to do on musicality/expression and spins but they could have given her a few more points. It’s annoying how she has landed trixel this year (maybe even twice?) and they can only give her 65.
I agree.

Sadly it has to do with her 1st name because it's typical for the name of Anastasia to be consistently underscored . :(

And the change of countries from Russia to Ukraine and Georgia does not exactly help the cause It's not fair. How about they just score somebody how they were trained to and not hold them down because they skated early
But they have to save the big scores for the skaters skating at the end? There's no need to do that anymore with KV skating. ;)

reneerose

Final Flight
I used to think that way. But now, I think the Team Event coming first allows skaters to loosen up before the singles events. They could try it both ways or ask skaters' what their preferences are.
I see that too...like dress rehearsal for Individual comps. Team event does have its merits going before Individual.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Personally, I wish the rules required all the disciplines be skated by 2 men, 2 women, 2 pairs teams and 2 dance teams in the team event. Now that’s a team!
That would be interesting, and it would certainly give more skaters an opportunity to compete, and to win medals.

Amei

Record Breaker
I used to think that way. But now, I think the Team Event coming first allows skaters to loosen up before the singles events. They could try it both ways or ask skaters' what their preferences are.

I think they don't put the Team event first because of a fear of the medalists from the individual event deciding not to compete in the team event.

MrMC18

Rinkside
I think she largely performed to the best of her abilities and capitalized on the unravelings of Rika, Pogorilaya, etc … but she didn’t even manage deliver two consecutive skates without a fall in those instances, which was not necessarily an auspicious omen for managing to stay upright for the whole TE here.
Karen didn’t fall at 2021 worlds. I understand your point that she benefited off of other’s performing poorly but that was just clear misinformation.

And let’s analyze her performances at both 2017 and 2021; both times she was not the favorite of the American ladies, and it was expected that Ashley and Bradie were going to be the ones to deliver the 3 spots. However, they didn’t, and Karen was the one who managed a 4th. That’s a huge reason as to why she was most likely picked: she was able to deliver when the American favorites didn’t.

R.D.

Record Breaker
There’s a chance after this SP that they will split the ladies instead of ice dance and put Mariah in due to Karen performing poorly.
Nah, they already bought the ticket - may as well ride it to the end.

Bell is just as inconsistent, ESPECIALLY in the FS. I don't think subbing her in would guarantee a better result.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No but for real some of you guys are actually terrible. Right after karen’s skate, instead of being sympathetic, your first thoughts were “This is why she’s such a liability. She didn’t deserve to be here, the USFS gifted her this spot over Mariah.” I expected to see comments like “poor Karen, hope she does well in the free skate!” But wow.
THIS

Amei

Record Breaker
All this bashing on Karen is so unwarranted. She trains everyday for hours competing for this event, there’s no one more disappointed than her.

There’s many reasons she was chosen over Mariah. She has a higher average SP score this season than Mariah, and has delivered under extremely high pressure stakes - 2017 and 2021 worlds - when she had to skate well when the other American women skated poorly to get the 3 spots.

Mariah’s been to 3 worlds and has placed 9th, 12th, and 12th. Karen’s been to 2 and placed 4th both times when no one expected her to.

Look at rocker skating practice notes as well. The USFS is paying attention to the practices. Karen has been landing 4-5 clean 3-3’s each practice session; Mariah hasn’t landed more than 1 solid 3-3 in Beijing practices.

Doubt it, that would mean removing their Team Captains, Chock/Bates, from competing and that would be a terrible slap in the face.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I think they don't put the Team event first because of a fear of the medalists from the individual event deciding not to compete in the team event.
Yeah, that actually seems to make a lot of sense. Skaters are exhausted mentally and they have their individual medals, and may wish to peace out. Although, not every skater would probably feel that way. But yes, there would need to be something more prestigious about the team event. It's not equivalent to the gymnastics' all-around event, which is much more prestigious if you win the gold as an individual all-around champion.