2022 Olympics Team Event Day2: Women's Short Program | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics Team Event Day2: Women's Short Program

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
In my humble opinion, the US lady team selection should have been based on who does not implode and has proven to have nerves of steel even in tricky situations. I wouldn't have chosen nor Karen or Mariah after seeing the consistency that Alysa has had on her jumps (minus the 3A but not even Wakaba went for it here) from the beginning of the season and during Covid. But some in USFS were thinking that a Worlds'21 situation can happen again. But Valieva was not there and, arguably, the competition was not that good either (including in Russia). One way or another Valieva has managed to slap everyone in the face (including her own team) with TES reality. I don't know what USFS was thinking...

But on another note, congrats to Kamila, Wakaba, and Madeline!!
Too bad, but Alysa's father made the mistake of switching out her coaches, and he should NOT have done that, or else Alysa might have been the best choice, even after recovering from COVID.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Essentially, this is true. But, Mariah simply wasn't given the opportunity, so we really don't know. Quite a few ladies tonight from other countries skated very well under personal pressure of wanting to do well at the Olympics, and support their team do their best ability, even when there really wasn't that much chance for some of the countries competing to make the final round.

Mariah held up slightly better than Karen at U.S.. Nationals, and Mariah is U.S. National champion. It was not really as clear a choice as some fans have been spouting. But why not trust your National champion? Does this decision eliminate confidence for both ladies in the upcoming singles event?

The big issue is that they didn't want to use Nathan twice, and therein lies the resulting dilemmas for other disciplines.

Mariah is the better FS scorer this season, And both her and Karen had kinda the same odds in the SP (3-5),
So to me Mariah should've been chosen to the team, Being National champion should've made that choice easier,
I can only assume they were afraid she's still recovering from Covid, Otherwise I don't know what their deal is.

Scott512

Record Breaker
They did it yesterday with the Georgian pair team who should have been way closer to 70. They skated junior this year and I’m not saying they’re as developed as the older teams in the event but it’s so clear they lowball them. TEN full points behind USA and Japan with the SAME content- a fantastic lift, great twist, BIG throw? No way is that fair.

This whole “later group = higher PCS” is beyond ridiculous and entirely unfair. It’s not as obvious in the free when the top competitors skate later anyway but SO obvious in the short. The world standing thing (where Grassl can be ranked higher than Chen) is stupid anyway but should absolutely be done away with determining start order. If you’re going to rank them by anything I think SB is way better.
Laux, I did not know they did that to the Georgian pair's team. That's a fabulous young team with great potential. It's obvious the judges did not want Georgia in the team competition so they made that happen and China and Canada are there of course. Yawn.

How does the Georgia figure skating federation go on about complaining about this? That's not the norm and figure skating but I wanted to start happening and I want nasty at the start talking about her ridiculous PCS scores and her getting lowballed non stop. When she skates badly low ball her but when she skates flawlessly give her her due and proper scores. They have Anastasia in her spot and she's never getting out of it.

I don't know what you do with the world standing rankings. They need something better. And the stupid people that run figure skating need to use more of a ranking system to let the top skaters into all of these major events while still enabling skaters from the smaller countries to compete as well.

But the ISU does not hide that they don't want Georgia and Ukraine to rise up and pose a threat to China or Canada. I don't know how you change that because it's like politics at work. And there's nothing worse than politicians.

MrMC18

Rinkside
I'm not saying she feels sorry for herself or that she should feel sorry for herself. I AM saying that Karen should be realistic about her strengths, or lack there of under pressure. Thinking that 'I can try to do it, or maybe I can do it,' is NOT enough. You have to know and believe you can do it. The jump she fell on, was not necessary for her to fall on. It was a nervous fall.

She clearly has issues with believing in herself. I have followed her career. It doesn't make her a 'sorry' person nor a 'bad' person. There's nothing wrong with not meeting the moment. The issue is: What do you learn. She had problems at the last Olympics. Did she actually learn anything that she was able to apply in this current situation? Apparently not
As ribbit said, “What makes you think that Karen's emotions are at fault? Why are you implying that Karen is emotionally weak? Jumps go wrong for all sorts of reasons. We all need to stop making accusations based on nothing but projecting onto people of whom we know nothing.”

How would you know Karen’s feelings? Maybe she did really believe that she could deliver here under pressure. Maybe she did think she could handle it. It’s not really fair to judge what happened when we don’t know what’s happening in her head.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Wakaba and Madi seemed more nervous to me today than Karen.
That's what I mean about Karen needing to learn how to be honest with herself. Make nerves work for you. Understand that you are going to have nerves, and don't be afraid of experiencing nerves. Understanding and feeling those nerves and overcoming them is what Wakaba and Madi were able to do! Karen probably just doesn't understand how to deal with nerves. Maybe she tries to pretend that she's not nervous. I don't know.

readernick

Medalist
Especially since Mariah implodes under pressure far more often than Karen does.
When did this happen? No, Mariah isn't known for imploding. Her scores at Worlds 2019 were higher than Karen's ever received. Karen just happened to have been sent to Worlds in 2017 and 2021 the two events with the worst FS in women's skating in the last decade. She skated ok ( which is the best she ever does) when everyone else skated horribly.

That being said, it really shouldn't have come down to Mariah vs. Karen. Selection criteria put Alysa in front and she never implodes.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Valieva

On her top-ranked performance:
"I was a little nervous going into the competition, but once I got to the ice, I skated well. I was in control of my program and showed the result I wanted."

On her emotions at the end of her program:
"I had so much energy going into the end of this short program. I'm skating for my grandmother (who) passed away, so I think it was that feeling got me."

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Schizas

On placing third with a personal best score:
“It’s my first skate at my first Olympic Games. It’s almost so surreal to be here and I was really excited to support my team today as part of the team event. I was a little bit nervous before today, about being a part of the team and skating individually, but they gave me so much support and I just loved the experience.

"I have been training so consistently and so much. I skate programs like that a lot at home, and just knowing I have the ability to do it, because I have done it so much, it allowed me to put a performance out when it counted."

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Karen Chen

On her performance, which ranked fifth of 10 skaters:
"There were some positive takeaways for sure, and then some things that were silly mistakes that I haven't been making in practice. My practices have been feeling really solid but today, once I realised I'm competing, it felt a little bit different.

"So now that I know what to expect, I'm happy to bring that experience on to tomorrow (and the team event final)."

On the challenges she faced leading up to the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022:
"This entire season has been really, really crazy for me. Even just the past four years (there) have been so many ups and downs. The moment I got off the ice at (PyeongChang) 2018, I knew I wanted to keep skating because it's my love and passion, but I definitely struggled with just figuring out how much to put into the sport, since I was juggling school and skating."

On her goal for Beijing 2022:
"My goal is to hold on to every single second I can. I know the moment I leave here, I will feel a little bit sad that it's all over, so I'm just really trying to hold on to everything, whether it's positive or negative, just to embrace this whole experience."

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gutmann

On her performance:
"It is my first Olympic competition, so I was very excited about it. I was also a little bit worried because I really wanted to give the best to my team, for the team event. But I think I handled the pressure, so I'm happy about my performance."

On who inspired her to compete at the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022:
"I started skating when I was little because of the Olympics. I saw them on TV. I remember (four-time Italian Olympian and Sochi 2014 bronze medallist) Carolina KOSTNER (ITA) and also a lot of (other) good skaters, and it has always been my dream."

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Zhu Yi

On missing her first combination (triple flip, triple toe loop):
"Honestly, the first combination happened so fast that I don't even remember what happened. When I landed the flip, it felt nice and I felt like I could totally pull off the toe (loop). But unfortunately it didn't happen."

On missing an element later in the program:
"I guess because I missed the first jump I was just kind of frazzled and felt a lot of pressure on landing that last jump, and unfortunately I popped it."

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
They need to complain and loudly if things are ever going to change.

Who cares if most of the Georgia team is from Russia?? Evidently the ISU and the judges care.
I care and many others too. All their skaters are from Russia and I'm afraid that soon we'll see many teams like them.
And I'm doubt if Gubanova even ever was in Georgia.

readernick

Medalist
Karen performed just about how I expected.

I have been down on the US women for like 15 years, but now I realize we had it good in 10, 14, and 18..... I mean they were at least competitive.
The US women weren't very competitive in 2018. Mirai just happened to have the skate of her life in the team event. Gracie/ Ashley did keep the US women competitive until 2017.

xesmeraude

Spectator
Eep, I finally got a chance to watch. Feel sad for Karen, but can't change the past and she should just concentrate on doing her best tomorrow. Is USA now at risk of losing silver to Japan depending on Karen's FS?

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Eep, I finally got a chance to watch. Feel sad for Karen, but can't change the past and she should just concentrate on doing her best tomorrow. Is USA now at risk of losing silver to Japan depending on Karen's FS?
Yeah, I think it could really happen. I wouldn't be surprised anyways.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
Karen Chen

On her performance, which ranked fifth of 10 skaters:
"There were some positive takeaways for sure, and then some things that were silly mistakes that I haven't been making in practice. My practices have been feeling really solid but today, once I realised I'm competing, it felt a little bit different.

"So now that I know what to expect, I'm happy to bring that experience on to tomorrow (and the team event final)."

On the challenges she faced leading up to the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022:
"This entire season has been really, really crazy for me. Even just the past four years (there) have been so many ups and downs. The moment I got off the ice at (PyeongChang) 2018, I knew I wanted to keep skating because it's my love and passion, but I definitely struggled with just figuring out how much to put into the sport, since I was juggling school and skating."

On her goal for Beijing 2022:
"My goal is to hold on to every single second I can. I know the moment I leave here, I will feel a little bit sad that it's all over, so I'm just really trying to hold on to everything, whether it's positive or negative, just to embrace this whole experience."
I love her attitude so much. 🥰 I'm so glad she's going to be leaving with a well-deserved Olympic medal.