Is Mirai the next Sasha? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Is Mirai the next Sasha?

Layfan

Record Breaker
Now that the judges are no longer told about underrotation calls, they just add or subtract GOE based on how the jump looks to them. So if she does a 3F+3T and doesn't manage to fully rotate the 3T, it probably won't be worth that much less than if she did a 3F+2T. I think it's worth the risk, because a triple-triple could be the point difference that puts her on the podium.

makes sense to me...:)

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
hmm... it could even wind up being more. The commentators at US Nats definitely thought some of her underrotated jumps were clean triples. I still think they need to devise a system where underrotation isn't so costly... this is definitely an improvement

janetfan

Match Penalty
Here is a fun blog article from Hersh about Mirai:

"Even though she will be spending relatively little time in the Olympic Village, Nagasu still is envious of U.S. ice dancer Tanith Belbin, who is sharing a two-bedroom, two-bathroom suite with men's skater and fashionista Johnny Weir.

"I wish I could room with Johnny and get tips on makeup and styling," she said.

Nagasu already has a style all her own."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-olympics-nagasu14-2010feb14,0,7391866.story

That cracks me up!

She and Johnny make a great pair, actually. They're both great ambassadors for skating in a very different mold from the Kwan era. Not that that wasn't the greatest era ever, I hasten to add with Kwanford looking over my shoulder.

rtureck

Final Flight
No. No one could be next Sasha or maybe the one has not born yet.

Why woudl Mirai want to be the next Sasha? Nagasu has never mentioned that she aspires to be another Sasha, Nagasu has better skating role models e.g. Mao. Mirai has tons of potential, good work ethics, nothing like Sasha. I remember TT talked about Sasha traded training time for shopping trips to Paris. I don't think Nagasu will ever do that. Nagasu won national gold in he r first trip, and how many years did it take Sasha to do that? Nagasu's junior competition record is much better than Sasha's.

rtureck

Final Flight
There will never be another Sasha. That's my emo statement for the evening. Back to fetal position.

For the sake ofr USA ladies skating future, I hope there will be more skaters who are not like Sasha. It seems like the USA ladies who are the future are more willing to work hard, and listen to their coaches.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I don't think Mirai is like Sasha, but I do think she has all the qualities of becoming the next big ladies star in figure skating. She is flexible and a good spinner like Sasha, but is also athletic with much bigger jumps and great speed. I think she will continue to get more athletic in coming years as she finishes filling out - already she has broad shoulders and wiry limbs which are great for jumping, and it looks like she will be doing solid 3-3s soon. At nationals the commentators talked about her spirit and how it was the best, this is so true and different from Sasha, who has presence but not really spirit; Mirai has spunk, energy, and a joy for skating that radiates across the ice. The other thing about Mirai is she's a tough cookie and never tentative. I know she had issues with crying, but she always gives everything her all and rarely falls. I mean, last year at nationals, after she had grown 4 inches, had a rough grand prix season, was likely a hormonal mess, and was battling a leg injury and having coaching issues, she was miserable, crying before she went to do her LP and then proceeded to land every jump, and not double any of them either. And then this year at nationals there was so much pressure but she went for and landed every jump again. She's driven and willing to work hard, and she's definitely not a diva like Sasha, you can tell she just sees herself as an awkward teenager and not the figure skating superstar she is, and I think that's cute. I think she also must have a good work ethic, judging on her improvements and maturity she's shown this year, she's learned how to do things Frank's way and not her way, and realizes that doing things his way has made her better. I can't wait to see her perform next week and see how she develops as a skater over these next few years.

janetfan

Match Penalty
For the sake ofr USA ladies skating future, I hope there will be more skaters who are not like Sasha. It seems like the USA ladies who are the future are more willing to work hard, and listen to their coaches.

For the sake of US Skating I hope we see more of the Olympic and World medals Sasha won for USA.
5th place may be good to new fans - but many of us think of that as a major disappointment. In fact this may be the first Olympics in decades when a US Lady will not be on the podium.

It is very clear we not only need more girls with Sasha's competitive record but her beautiful, stlylish skating is already missed.

Layfan

Record Breaker
For the sake of US Skating I hope we see more of the Olympic and World medals Sasha won for USA.
5th place may be good to new fans - but many of us think of that as a major disappointment. In fact this may be the first Olympics in decades when a US Lady will not be on the podium.

It is very clear we not only need more girls with Sasha's competitive record but her beautiful, stlylish skating is already missed.

Yes. Oh, for the days when an American girl "just" getting an Olympic or World silver medal was "disappointing."

R.D.

Record Breaker

I personally hope this is a transitional period for US skating rather than a "passing of the torch" to Asia. But I guess I should wait until after the ladies comp because there IS that outside chance of a bronze medal if the stars line up.

Vash01

Medalist
Mirai is absolutely NOT the next Sasha. She has displayed such mental toughness at even a very young age- before she was even eligible to compete at the senior level. Sasha is one of the most fragile skaters mentally.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I personally hope this is a transitional period for US skating rather than a "passing of the torch" to Asia. But I guess I should wait until after the ladies comp because there IS that outside chance of a bronze medal if the stars line up.

Well, I like the looks of Leah Kaiser:cool:

janetfan

Match Penalty

Hope is good - but in reality Kimmie, Emily, Alissa and Rachael have already passed the torch to the Asian girls. They were not able to medal at Worlds for the last three years.
Maybe our next gen will be more competitive - like Michelle and Sasha and the Ladies before them always were.

I still see Mirai as having the combination of artistry and athleticism to bring back World medals to USA. Rachael will have her second chance now and this time as US Champion.
If she can't make the podium there will be reasons for it. But she and Mirai will be going to Vonn-couver so far under the radar that they may surprise us yet.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Maybe our next gen will be more competitive
Attitude or skill set?
I still see Mirai as having the combination of artistry and athleticism to bring back World medals to USA. Rachael will have her second chance now and this time as US Champion.
If she can't make the podium there will be reasons for it. But she and Mirai will be going to Vonn-couver so far under the radar that they may surprise us yet.
~ like the use of Vonn-couver

I am not sure I am getting the radar aspect of the however I do agree that a surprise with USA ladies is going to happen. I think there is plenty of attention on them although i.m.o the biggest factor of playing in the Olys is the athletes own "feelings" opposed to how much attention you are given.

On thread topic, my opinion would be no, however there are other naKmes I migFht ThiDnk of compLairing Marai with. ;)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Attitude or skill set?

~ like the use of Vonn-couver

I am not sure I am getting the radar aspect of the however I do agree that a surprise with USA ladies is going to happen. I think there is plenty of attention on them although i.m.o the biggest factor of playing in the Olys is the athletes own "feelings" opposed to how much attention you are given.

On thread topic, my opinion would be no, however there are other naKmes I migFht ThiDnk of compLairing Marai with. ;)

Based on the men's results, I wouldn't count Rachael and Mirai out of the medal hunt just yet. I mean, who though Brian Joubert would be in 16th and Jeremy would revert back to his old ways? A handful of youngins made the top 10 and in ladies skating being young is even less of an issue, I'm excited for next week, I think the ladies event may be full of surprises.

tarotx

On the Ice
Brain and Jeremy are hit and miss. Chan was injured this season and not having the ice time compared to what you're used can really get to you at an event like the Olympics and he was still the highest finisher of the non world champions (though he's still a former world medalist). I'm not sure the results mean anything for the American ladies except that a countrymen winning can really motivate you.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Brain and Jeremy are hit and miss. Chan was injured this season and not having the ice time compared to what you're used can really get to you at an event like the Olympics and he was still the highest finisher of the non world champions (though he's still a former world medalist). I'm not sure the results mean anything for the American ladies except that a countrymen winning can really motivate you.

Pretty sure a "miss" for Brian though is 3rd place, not 16th. I'm just saying anything can happen, and oftentimes it's not what is expected.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Based on the men's results, I wouldn't count Rachael and Mirai out of the medal hunt just yet.
:scratch:Who is counting them out? Did you quote me by mistake?

It is this Under the Radar thing that doesn't make sense. I think they are on the radar, with potential to medal.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
:scratch:Who is counting them out? Did you quote me by mistake?

It is this Under the Radar thing that doesn't make sense. I think they are on the radar, with potential to medal.

Maybe Rachael a little, I would say Mirai is definitely under the radar. With so much focus on Yuna and Mao, pretty much everyone else is under the radar, with the exception of Joannie Rochette because she's the hometown girl and Miki Ando because of four years ago and her quad and good results this season, maybe Carolina too because she finally stopped imploding and just won Euros. I think this will be to the American girls' advantage though, the lack of expectation.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Maybe Rachael a little, I would say Mirai is definitely under the radar. With so much focus on Yuna and Mao, pretty much everyone else is under the radar, with the exception of Joannie Rochette because she's the hometown girl and Miki Ando because of four years ago and her quad and good results this season, maybe Carolina too because she finally stopped imploding and just won Euros. I think this will be to the American girls' advantage though, the lack of expectation.

I agree with you. Yuna arrives and there is press and fans everywhere. There is no fuss about Rachael or Mirai and American TV has barely mentioned them. Four years ago there was talk about Michelle, her injury and then all focus and alot of attention was on Sasha.

No American Ladies have evey gone to the Olympics with such little fanfare or attention.
They are absolutely flying under the radar.

That said i don't rule out big meltdowns and one of our girls making a run for a medal.