Virtue & Moir vs. Papadakis & Cizeron | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Virtue & Moir vs. Papadakis & Cizeron

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2 teams left. Russia was struggling, yes, but still P/C jumped from 13th to 1st.

That's not a case of "someone had to win". Nobody makes that kind of leap in the standings unless they truly bring something special to the table, which is what P/C did.

Trying to trivialize their wins because they're not as good as the Russian legends is lame - in many ways their skating runs circles around the Russian greats given the much harder difficulty they have to perform and their (IMO) genuine, organic artistry versus some of the theatrics/histrionics that used to define many legendary ice dancers in the past.

Their record is what it is. Good for them, they'll always have those gold medals. They've got 2 WC gold now, same as D/W and V/M. One more than Usova/Zhulin and Anissina/Peizerat.

If you think that places them on an equivalent level of greatness, then good for you. I do not.

I like their skating. I've said they were good. I enjoyed their FD in Boston especially.

And, so long as we're talking about competition results, it is worth noting that it took the international judges exactly NO TIME AT ALL to slap them from the top of the podium when a truly great team returned after a two year layoff.

alain06fr

On the Ice
And, so long as we're talking about competition results, it is worth noting that it took the international judges exactly NO TIME AT ALL to slap them from the top of the podium when a truly great team returned after a two year layoff.

Humm.... Let me see... Should I say "International judges slap V/M 4 times from the top of the GPF podium (2010, 2012, 2013, 2014)"? :noshake:

Let us be serious a bit, at least a bit. Both V/M and P/C are great ice dance couples but in different ways, with their own strengths. The competition in Helsinki should be exciting. As for next season, it's gonna be a complete new story.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for your feedback.

I am now completely convinced. P/C are the greatest ice dancers ever.

The Kum Ba Yah World Peace reasoning... which stipulates that, if you wish upon enough stars, no team is really better than any other... has carried the day.

Now, you''ll have to excuse me while I go feed my unicorn.

Edit: Need to correct. P/C are now tied for greatest ice dancers ever. They are tied with every other team that has ever competed. Because, darn it, isn't everyone a winner if you look deep enough into their souls?

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
skylark, thank You for Your kind words.

yes to Your last paragraph - I think that as we often complain about politicking, scoring and favoring certain styles/teams in Ice Dance, looking behind that I think that we were and we are currently priviledged to have such diverse world of Ice Dance to follow, there is so much to appreciate in every team depending what perspective we take - artistry, confidence in execution, showmanship quality, emotional connection, way of expression, technical maestry to name only a few factors. Talking each one, a different team could be a favourite one. And that's fantastic in my opinion.

There go also the programs which we like more or less, but regardless of that - if the team is reaching to us or if it's drawing us into their performance, I think that is even more important than winning an actual medal, these kind of teams/performances have a special place in my heart.

And about this whole debate who is the better team - I said my opinion earlier and I was addressing different perspectives there, great to You to have connected so strong and on 'personal taste' level with Gabriella and Guillaume's skating, because at the end of the day it's a matter of this personal take and preference towards skating, sometimes it is not what we've been looking for, but what we've connected with, from the very first or a very particular time.

I think in general that multi-dimentional quality is very important in Ice Dance and each team brings something individual with them. It may not be very spectacular or recognizable at first, but there is always a lot to admire and appreciate, starting with effort and courage to be a partner to one another and presenting programs.

And nowadays, I equally admire staying true to your aesthetic/vision of Ice Dance nad playing on your strenghts and going beyond them, challengeing themselves in terms of technique, style or artistic expression.

You're welcome. So true about the skaters or team that we connect with. And just for fun:

artistry - Gabriella and Guillaume
confidence in execution - Tessa and Scott
showmanship quality - Madison Chock and Evan Bates
emotional connection - Kaitlyn Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker
way of expression - Gabriella and Guillaume
technical maestry - Shibs

peepsquick

Final Flight

The Kum Ba Yah World Peace reasoning... which stipulates that, if you wish upon enough stars, no team is really better than any other... has carried the day.

Edit: Need to correct. P/C are now tied for greatest ice dancers ever. They are tied with every other team that has ever competed. Because, darn it, isn't everyone a winner if you look deep enough into their souls?

No need to be sarcastic or snotty, dear TontoK! Nothing you have said so far has made much sense. Your only message is that V/M are so much better than everybody else that any discussion or alternate view is shot down. It is not as if you brought any proof of greater maestria other than a successful comeback and your own preference. V/M are excellent, seasoned competitors. I wish them luck in their endeavor to add so more titles to their already successful career.Do they blow me away? no. For me, they don't bring the excitement of P/C.

? Virtue and Moir were great in 2010. Now? A lot of people think that Papadakis and Cizeron are their equal. Nothing to get angry about.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
? Virtue and Moir were great in 2010. Now? A lot of people think that Papadakis and Cizeron are their equal. Nothing to get angry about.

I'm not angry.

As I've said, I'm completely convinced.

Not worth having a fight over. I'll just roll my eyes at my computer screen, and nobody will know it.

lavoix

Match Penalty
Does anyone know where I can download Virtue and Moir's SP music from this season? Would anyone have it by any chance and is willing to send it to me? Cheers

KMK0902

On the Ice

2 completely different teams with different strength and weaknesses.

In my eyes, V/M are the stronger team with far less side-by-side skating, closer holds, more intricate choreo etc... I never understood what was so special with P/C. To me they are a dime a dozen......

(I'm going into hiding now :biggrin:)

peepsquick

Final Flight

2 completely different teams with different strength and weaknesses.

In my eyes, V/M are the stronger team with far less side-by-side skating, closer holds, more intricate choreo etc... I never understood what was so special with P/C. To me they are a dime a dozen......

(I'm going into hiding now :biggrin:)

No need to go into Hiding ...
In my eyes, what you see as strength in VM choreo is what I see as same old, same old. P/C skating where each dancer does something different and yet find his/her way back to their partner is extremely difficult on many levels (I will here only mention the difficulty not stay on track spatially). If there is one intricate choreo, it is this one! Many think it is easy because they make it look easy. It is NOT.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Does anyone know where I can download Virtue and Moir's SP music from this season? Would anyone have it by any chance and is willing to send it to me? Cheers

The CBC channel has it un-muted from NHK and GPF if you can view those videos

all that

Final Flight
too bad their equal haven't beat them even once.

P/C will beat them at Worlds and at the Olympics. V/M's previous wins were to make this look like a rivalry. It's not even close, though. P/C have the best skating skills ever seen.

Last edited: