Virtue & Moir vs. Papadakis & Cizeron | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Virtue & Moir vs. Papadakis & Cizeron

blackey

On the Ice
P/C will beat them at Worlds and at the Olympics. V/M's previous wins were to make this look like a rivalry. It's not even close, though. P/C have the best skating skills ever seen.

lol, ok. hope p/c won't lost their sd to the shibs this time

Rossig

On the Ice
Both teams V&M and P&C are very talented, have great skating skills and both have their own admirers. At the moment V&M have greater achievements, which is not surprising, their career is much longer. But P&C have also ahcieved a lot, especially taking account their still young age. But only the history will show which team will turn out to be greater and which will have bigger impact on ice dance. It's too early to crown them today.

f1nnstep

Rinkside
Both teams V&M and P&C are very talented, have great skating skills and both have their own admirers. At the moment V&M have greater achievements, which is not surprising, their career is much longer. But P&C have also ahcieved a lot, especially taking account their still young age. But only the history will show which team will turn out to be greater and which will have bigger impact on ice dance. It's too early to crown them today.

I agree with Rossig - as P/C are younger it is possibly easier to see their potential more than V&M who have delivered so much already. I like V/M's new style. Especially Scott has got more of a "body" now that fits the lines of Tessa better than before. However I'm still facinated by P/C by their freshness and commitment to their own style.

Personally I think it is great to have them both. And I see how they can push each other. It is like watching a Gala of contemporary dance which is not about who is better and technically cleaner but purely a joy of different styles and characters. It is great to leave it to the judges and I cannot believe it is about techniques at this level. It is more about their programs how they get them work and what kind of new ideas they can bring. Of course you can loose by missing a twizzle but if both skate clean it is opinions that matter.

I wish them both all goodness and greatness and hopefully we can enjoy some great programs over the coming years.
Without leaving my opinion here you may read it there :) http://f1nnstep.blogspot.fi/2017/02/state-of-art-ice-dance.html

all that

Final Flight

I can call it right now. P/C have already won worlds twice and Euros 3 times and they're barely getting started. Expect them to win the next three Olympic golds, easily.

Rossig

On the Ice
The other amazing thing is Gabriella and Guillaume are two skaters with very different characters and personalities. They have their own world and separate private life. For example, don't expect them to leave the rink together!

It is interesting. I don't know much about their private lives, but Gabi seems to be an intelligent, young woman with many interests. While many people only praise Guillaume and his skating skills I think she is the one with a personality in this team.
By the way, if they never spend time together off the ice, they can't be friends in my book. But I admit that on the ice, they look very close to each other.

nocturnalis

Medalist
P/C will beat them at Worlds and at the Olympics. V/M's previous wins were to make this look like a rivalry. It's not even close, though. P/C have the best skating skills ever seen.

All you have done with this statement is let everyone realize you have no idea what you are talking about.

Rossig

On the Ice
wish them both all goodness and greatness and hopefully we can enjoy some great programs over the coming years.
Without leaving my opinion here you may read it there http://f1nnstep.blogspot.fi/2017/02/...ice-dance.html

Hope you will have great time during worlds and you will see a lot of great ice dancing. My favourite P&C programs are Mozart FD and last year's SD to music by Abel Korzeniowski. I don't hide that I'm a bit disappointed with their programs this season, though wouldn't mind seeing them live in the arena :)

alain06fr

On the Ice
It is interesting. I don't know much about their private lives, but Gabi seems to be an intelligent, young woman with many interests. While many people only praise Guillaume and his skating skills I think she is the one with a personality in this team.
By the way, if they never spend time together off the ice, they can't be friends in my book. But I admit that on the ice, they look very close to each other.

When they were just two kids, they build a deep friendship on the ice. Since then, this friendship grew and we can see they completely enjoy to dance together on the ice. The fact they have their own life outside the rink makes their connection in the rink even stronger. They build their home on the ice. It's the place where they share everything. ice is their universe.

I think your description of Gaby applies to both Gaby and Guillaume. Beside their common passion for the arts and skating, they also have different areas of interest. Guillaume went to the academy of arts. He makes sketches on a regular basis. He is passionate with fashion design (he's the one designing their costumes), photography, etc.

maddiesparks

Rinkside
When VM first started getting recognition (over 10 years ago now), they were heralded and celebrated as being revolutionary and ground breaking, pushing/changing ice dance, etc. Much like PC are now, so it’s nothing new for this kind of hype to build up around a new, young couple.

It’s redundant to make predictions like PC will win the next 3 Olympic Golds, or even that they can dominate post 2018. There will always be the “next big thing” and it’s useless to judge each team in a vacuum because everyone has been influenced by those before them.

It’s cyclical, right?

Anyway, I think I may have already replied to this thread a month ago that VM will win, so I’ll just expand and say that while I think they will reclaim their World title, it’ll be a lot closer between them and PC (and even the rest of the field) than it was at GPF.

Rossig

On the Ice
I think your description of Gaby applies to both Gaby and Guillaume. Beside their common passion for the arts and skating, they also have different areas of interest. Guillaume went to the academy of arts. He makes sketches on a regular basis. He is passionate with fashion design (he's the one designing their costumes), photography, etc.

I must admit I have had an impression he's a guy who is only interested in his looks and clothes. Even during press conference after Europeans when everybody came normally dressed, he had to show his bare arms and biceps. But I don't know him, so such an opinion may be unfair. From what you said he is very artistic person also off the ice, not just on the ice.

When they were just two kids, they build a deep friendship on the ice. Since then, this friendship grew and we can see they completely enjoy to dance together on the ice. The fact they have their own life outside the rink makes their connection in the rink even stronger. They build their home on the ice. It's the place where they share everything. ice is their universe.

Do you think it's possible to have friendship on the ice and not be friends off the ice? I'm just wondering. The relationships between partners can vary so much. There are partners who are a couple off the ice as well, or who are the closest friends, there are siblings and there are those who even don't like each other. And it seems there is no rule, which of the teams shows the best connection on the ice.

Last edited:

peepsquick

Final Flight
I must admit I have had an impression he's a guy who is only interested in his looks and clothes. Even during press conference after Europeans when everybody came normally dressed, he had to show his bare arms and biceps. But I don't know him, so such an opinion may be unfair. From what you said he is very artistic person also off the ice, not just on the ice.

I just case that is a case of being a very sensual being at ease with his body. A dancer. He comes across as somewhat shy or very private but I see an artist and definitely not a shallow person. His postings, regardless of the body pictures, are thoughtful and idealistic.

Do you think it's possible to have friendship on the ice and not be friends off the ice? I'm just wondering. The relationships between partners can vary so much. There are partners who are a couple off the ice as well, or who are the closest friends, there are siblings and there are those who even don't like each other. And it seems there is no rule, which of the teams shows the best connection on the ice.

I think it is very healthy for people for work very long hours together to have their own "garden". By that I mean trying to carve out space where they can live their lives and nurture who they are beside being skaters. I don't doubt a minute that Gabriella and Guillaume have a strong bond/affection for each other but they should be allowed to build a future independently from each other. The same way we all do with friends or siblings. I am actually extremely awed by their maturity in that respect.

peepsquick

Final Flight
I think it is very healthy for people for work very long hours together to have their own "garden". By that I mean trying to carve out space where they can live their lives and nurture who they are beside being skaters. I don't doubt a minute that Gabriella and Guillaume have a strong bond/affection for each other but they should be allowed to build a future independently from each other. The same way we all do with friends or siblings. I am actually extremely awed by their maturity in that respect.

Sorry, Rossig! I didn't mean to post my answer as being part of your quote. I am still struggling with the mechanics of the posting here :scratch2: I usually don't do blogs ...

Barb

Record Breaker

I am totally that kind of person. I can´t be a lot of time with anyone, without exceptions. I am surprised of teams who can spend so much time together, like Kaitlyn and Andrew go on vacations together and I think they live together, how can they do that is beyond of me :eek:. I think Maia and Alex don´t live together but I got the impression that they spend time together off the ice too. I recently went to the beach with my best friend, I swear it, at the 3rd day I wanted to run away from the place :scard8::hpull:

alain06fr

On the Ice

Well... I never payed much attention he wears sleeveless tee-shirts! What can I say.... I think he likes wearing sleeveless tee-shirts. He usually wears them during the training sessions in Gadbois.

Guillaume is a creative mind, he gets inspiration in every form of art.

He studied at the Academy of Arts in Lyon. He makes all kinds of sketches (almost one every day) and he tries different painting technics. He published one already on his instagram account. He's a huge fan of Xavier Dolan, Québecois world wide famous movie director and screenwriter. He even said Dolan's movies (Mommy, etc) are a source of inspiration. His favourite artist photographers are Sophie Calle (french Canadian - He never misses an opportunity to go to her exhibitions in Montréal), the american photographer Robert Mapplethorpe (he admitted spending hours in front of his photos exposed in Paris), Thomas Ruff (Germany), Nan Goldin (USA) and Ludovic Baron (France).

As I said, he designs the costumes for Gabriella and for himself. BTW, if you have any comments about their costumes, no need to talk to Marie-France or Romain, just talk to designer himself. Talk to Guillaume! When he came back from Shanghai after the 2015 Worlds, he tried to attend the vernissage of a big exhibition dedicated to Jean-Paul Gaultier in Paris, even though he didn't manage to enter as his name was not on the list of the VIPs especially invited to this event...

Guillaume is also passionate with gymnastics and dance in general. I am sure you watched some videos of Guillaume participating to dance sessions directed by the choreographer and dance artistic director Samuel Chouinard. BTW, Tessa also participated to some dance sessions with Guillaume.

Guillaume (and Gaby BTW) get deeply involved in many aspects of their programs, costumes, music, choreography, feelings to express, etc and it's not something new. Gaby suggested "Build a home" from Cinematic Orchestra last season. As for Guillaume, he took the initiative to convert "Charms" from Abel Korzeniowski in a waltz for their 2016 SD. This season, he found this piano music played by a cuban artist by watching some improbable shows.

If boys are usually mature later than girls, Guillaume was mature at a very young age. "An adult in a body of an adolescent" is the way he describes the situation he had to deal with.

If Gabriella is talkative while Guillaume is quite shy, they have one thing in common: Both are very humble persons. I have always been impressed by their simplicity and modesty. Well, for who knows Guillaume's parents, it's not surprising at all. They are great and very humble people and they made sacrifies to help him becoming one of the best world wide ice dancer.

I would not say they are not friends off the ice. Gabriella and Guillaume build their friendship on the ice. When they started together at 9 and 10 years old, they had a lot of fun together and a lot of laughs as well. They have exactly the same sense of humour. Even today, they don't laugh at the same things with other people. The ice is somehow their bubble. When they leave the rink, it's another life with their own friends and their own hobbies. In the end, I think it's just great they share so much in the rink while being totally free to have their own life outside the rink. It's a very adult and mature behaviour.

Marie-France explained how easy it is for the coaches in Montréal to train Gabriella and Guillaume as they are completely focused on the work session. When they started in Gadbois, they immediately joined the team of skaters training there. Both are definitely hard workers but still, they have a lot of laughs as well during their training sessions. Sometimes, one may feel like they are kids. In these moments, you really understand they have so much fun together on the ice. Marie-France admitted they've built up a great complicity between them on both a personal and an artistic level. No doubt this is one of the keys of their success.

Last edited:

f1nnstep

Rinkside
Hope you will have great time during worlds and you will see a lot of great ice dancing. My favourite P&C programs are Mozart FD and last year's SD to music by Abel Korzeniowski. I don't hide that I'm a bit disappointed with their programs this season, though wouldn't mind seeing them live in the arena :)

Indeed, it is true as I wrote that I have struggled to understand their free this year as well... I see that however as a pathway to something great unexpected next year. Mu favorite is their free for last year. That was unique to me. I regret so much that I missed 2015 Euros in Stockholm as it would have been so easy to be there and see their Mozart program that was just pure beauty.

Still about V/M. What a joy that they are back. I see their journey kind of similar than Carolina Kostner's. They just love skating and they want to give their heart to it. They are not coming back for a yet another Olympic Gold but just be creative, amaze the audience over and over again. What a gift.

alain06fr

On the Ice
Still about V/M. (...) They are not coming back for a yet another Olympic Gold but just be creative, amaze the audience over and over again. What a gift.

Hummm... Just my opinion but it's clear to me they decided to come back to get another Olympic title (which is completely fine BTW).
Becoming European, World or Olympic champion is such a huge achievement and requires to be technically and artistically at the top level but this is probably not enough. To become a champion, one must have this fighting spirit which allows you to excel. That's typically the case of P/C and V/M. Both are fantastic competitors.

Rossig

On the Ice
Hummm... Just my opinion but it's clear to me they decided to come back to get another Olympic title (which is completely fine BTW).

I agree. And actually they didn't even hide it in interviews. I'm sure they love skating and it's their way of life, but the reasons for their return don't need to exclude each other.

alain06fr

On the Ice
how do you know so many details about even his favourite artists ? dedication...

By reading interviews, especially those published by l'Equipe in 2015 after the World Championships. Gabriella and Guillaume were already known as being outstanding ice dancers and Junior vice World Champions but their meteoric rise fascinated all the sport journalists and they started publishing many papers about P/C. I also had the opportunity to talk about photography and artist photographers with Guillaume (being myself passionate with photography).