2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Ladies SP 11/21 | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Ladies SP 11/21

slider11

Medalist
Agreed, elysium. Elena is a powerful and a technically fine skater. But it is almost absurd to put her in a Spanish flamengo outfit and have her flirt and shimmy around. Boarder line child abuse. How is that artistically special? Julia, on the other hand, had a fine program technically and artistically. I find her presence age appropriate and pleasing. I would have given her higher artistic marks. Godd for Ashley. Not a huge fan but she did come across strong and capable. The presentation was good. The baby Russians, though, are still in the lead!

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Elena RADIONOVA (RUS) - 67.28 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
2. Julia LIPNITSKAIA (RUS) - 66.79 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
3. Ashley WAGNER (USA) - 61.35 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
4. Maria ARTEMIEVA (RUS) - 58.38 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 57.61 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
6. Courtney HICKS (USA) - 55.70 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
7. Samantha CESARIO (USA) - 55.19 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
8. Haruka IMAI (JPN) - 54.72 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
9. Anna OVCHAROVA (SUI) - 50.15 Short Program, 2nd Copy
10. Eliska BREZINOVA (CZE) - 48.28 Short Program, 2nd Copy
11. Veronik MALLET (CAN) - 45.07 Short Program, 2nd Copy
12. Laurine LECAVELIER (FRA) - 44.03 Short Program, 2nd Copy

noidont

Final Flight
plump body? that's a low blow. Thought we weren't supposed to comment on body types around here.

It's funny that we are not supposed to comment on body type, but it's totally okay to say young girls have "improper" programs. And Ashley's costume is "proper" how? 15-year-old girl dancing to Jlo = improper. 21-year-old wearing almost nothing = interpreting music. I get it because most posters here are Americans so Ashley gets a lot of benefit of the doubt, but her SS is bad, not "subpar" bad, but bad as in, worse than anyone getting that kind of PCS barring Maxim Kovtun. Akiko wasn't the fastest but she had lovely blade work and complex, innovative choreography. The only thing I would give Wagner is her intensity and this total trust in herself, which most people including the judges interpreted as "program components" apparently.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think Wagner sold her program very well. She deserves the 3rd place. And we all know PCS is for podium placement so it's not that serious.

ranjake

Final Flight
Well Ashley cetainly has more maturity than the Russian ladies/girls. THough her choice of dress is not the most flattering or perhaps most complementary for the music. I agree Julia needs to work on the bigger tricks but I do think she needs to look after herself emotionally and physically. Another y ear of Schindler's List wouldn't be so bad - she also seems to be struggling with confidence so she might feel more comfortable with a familiar program.

All I could hear was Peggy in my head, saying : "It's a complete program". That was the pleasure of Ashley's, for me. I think Julia may be slightly burned out (she was the Darling of the World last year). I don't love Julia' s SP but I think she'll get it together. Radionova is a pistol- I'm not sure how good it is (the jumps were pretty great :) but it was fun!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
It's funny that we are not supposed to comment on body type, but it's totally okay to say young girls have "improper" programs. And Ashley's costume is "proper" how? 15-year-old girl dancing to Jlo = improper. 21-year-old wearing almost nothing = interpreting music. I get it because most posters here are Americans so Ashley gets a lot of benefit of the doubt, but her SS is bad, not "subpar" bad, but bad as in, worse than anyone getting that kind of PCS barring Maxim Kovtun. Akiko wasn't the fastest but she had lovely blade work and complex, innovative choreography. The only thing I would give Wagner is her intensity and this total trust in herself, which most people including the judges interpreted as "program components" apparently.
SS is one part of PCS (and they're not as bad as you seem to think). In terms of performance/execution, interpretation, and choreography, Ashley is on a whole other planet compared to Kovtun.

GypsyFe

On the Ice
I was pleasantly surprised by Ashley's program. I'm assuming she dyed her hair to be a Hitchcock blond as the music sounded like a Hitchcock movie theme.

I just find Ashley so much more attractive with her original dark hair - with those beautiful blue eyes. And that dress...she needs a stylist or just way better selection. That looks trashy to me.

elysium

On the Ice

Actually my original meaning was just "a program with better content", the confusion was unintentional.

Art&Sport

Medalist
This is unusual for me, but after looking at both JLip and ERadio, I think Lip deserves to be in first over Radio. I think Julia was spot on for the most part. Some of Julia's spins traveled a bit and she of course doesn't have the best double axel in terms of technique, but Julia is a bit less rushed and frantic than Elena at this point. I especially think it's cool that Julia came back so strong from her first GP. I thought Ashley looked great out there and determined. Ash should have a bit more on PCS in my opinion. I also felt that Meite deserved to be above Artemieva, especially with Meite skating in her home country. I guess judges felt that they already gave Meite a few extra points for being in France, compared with how badly they low-balled her at her previous GP. I also think Sammi Cesario should have a bit higher PCS than her compatriot, Courtney Hicks.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
In K&C Yulia said: "At least I won't be skating the last tomorrow" :cheer2:
I like that girl's sense of humour :cheer:

Awww.. she is so cute!

Elena PCS is only 0.31 higher than what she got at SA. Where are you getting your numbers from? It's her TES that's almost 2 points higher.

You are right! I messed up! Elena was great today, hope we get to see a better Cam shot of her 3lz3t. I love that jump!

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

While I don't agree that Ashley is wearing "almost nothing," there is a difference in how a 15 year old is supposed to dress/act and the dress/behavior of a 21 year old. And SS is such a nebulous concept. It's just another one of the ridiculous elements that supposedly make up PCS. If blade work, speed, etc. are important, make them part of the tech score because that's what they are--technique. I think most judges use holistic scoring--not because they want to necessarily but because it is impossible in just a few minutes to go through all the various criteria for judging the five components. The second mark should consist of P/E, interpretation and maybe, choreography. Most people think transitions and choreography are the same so they might as well be combined. As for Ashley, I enjoy her fire and her confidence, something we see too little of in skating these days.

lefeury

Rinkside
I must admit that I read these threads before I watch,, coward I guess, but it did at least prepare me for the collision drama before I watched it and I guess that's why I do it. So thanks for the rundown folks!!! BTW I love Ashley's blonde look, and I love all 3 ladies, Elena, Julia, and Ashley and see no reason to insult other skaters in every conceivable way in order to prop your favorites up. Chubby? Ashley is drop dead gorgeous. And the other 2 are beautiful as well.

ranjake

Final Flight
Actually my original meaning was just "a program with better content", the confusion was unintentional.

I like Ashley's costume; it's very reminiscent of a "Chloe" dress that was very popular. I don't find her plump. I wish someone would costume Julia better; she's so much better than her costume imo. The Top appears fuschia and the bottom Red, it basically clashes. They could get the youthful/Sailor/Schoolgirl gist with something more worthy of her talent and more flattering.

chloepoco

Medalist
I must admit that I read these threads before I watch,, coward I guess, but it did at least prepare me for the collision drama before I watched it and I guess that's why I do it. So thanks for the rundown folks!!! BTW I love Ashley's blonde look, and I love all 3 ladies, Elena, Julia, and Ashley and see no reason to insult other skaters in every conceivable way in order to prop your favorites up. Chubby? Ashley is drop dead gorgeous. And the other 2 are beautiful as well.

:rock:

I think there's an unwritten rule in figure skating that you need to be beautiful, because all the figure skaters I've seen are pretty attractive!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, sorry that this probably doesn't relate to whatever you are discussing, but I haven't watched the competition yet. So, I'm not reading the thread until I do.

Here's a little something I made on Wednesday, and then posted to Facebook:

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net...=d83af50f2a272414a71f0dd67b1b9ecf&oe=551BA620

Hope you like it!

CaroLiza_fan

OMG!!! OMG!!! OMG!!! :shocked:

You know that "Good luck" message I posted for Anna on Facebook the other day. Well, she's only gone and posted the picture to her Instagram!!! :shocked:

http://instagram.com/p/vq76FgLYhI/

When I was making it, I was hoping she would appreciate it. But I really wasn't expecting her to do this! :shocked:

Thank you Anna!!! :bow:

CaroLiza_fan

DarR

Rinkside
She got a 7.64 in TR but it was offset by higher scores on the other elements. There is score inflation to be sure. Look at Yuna's GOEs before 2009/2010--they used to be 1's and suddenly jumped to 3's.

Because there was a change in rules regarding GOEs.