2015 US Nationals Senior Men Short Program Jan 23 | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2015 US Nationals Senior Men Short Program Jan 23

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I don't listen to classical music in my spare time, but I think they're usually the best choices for skating.

gmyers

Record Breaker
On the music: I like Josh's just fine, don't really like Jason's but I understand it's appeal, yet I absolutely cannot stand Jeremy's. :hopelessness: It's a wonder I haven't muted him yet... the detail-obsessed part of my brain won't allow me to miss such a crucial part of the program, even if I hate it.

I definitely don't think you were insulting anyone, Mrs. P. I wasn't part of that "talking over each other" group last night. I made one long post and then went to bed. :laugh: It's just, I read up on the rest of the thread before I made said long post, and there seemed to be three opinions, 1) "J/J/J need quad, or else they're just blah" 2) "J/J/J are awesome and we should complain about quad skaters being overrated" and 3) "J/J/J are awesome. Hopefully they can get a quad and be even more awesome."

I wished to say I aligned with that last group. I feel the first two options are pointless: Option 1 is pointless because skaters can't "get" a quad by wanting one--last night they did the best they could with what they had to work with. The quad will come when it's steady in practice. Option 2 is also pointless because complaining about quad-skaters doesn't change the points they pull. I also happen to disagree with its base assumption (that quads shouldn't be around/shouldn't be valued); the quad has been with figure skating for a long time, and it is a very difficult, energy-consuming move, which is why it's rewarded.

But true, this topic has been talked about to death. The reporters really should've thought of something new. I completely agree with you that Jason had more lift in his jumps than I've seen before; heck, not just on his jumps, even in his steps and transitions! He and Josh also had fabulous spins. I definitely appreciate those, quad or no quad. :yes:

The reporters only care really about them winning worlds or a medal at worlds. Draught this and draught that. Christine Brennan is strident about her "nationals shouldn't be a development camp!"

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Goodness... It's hard not to like Ed Sheeran. What type of music do you like then? Please don't say you like symphonic skating music! Ugh! :hopelessness:

It's okay Meoima, I don't really like Ed Sheeran either. Too whiny. I don't much like the song, but I :love: what Josh does with it.

I do, however, like Kenny Loggins.

KKonas

Medalist
Had to laugh at Tara's trying to walk back her statement that Josh's SP wasn't as fast or powerful because he doesn't know how to make use of his blade. Silliest statement ever from her. True, he had to follow Max Aaron who is all speed and power but little nuance, yet I far more enjoyed Josh's performance as did Terry Gannon and Johnny Weir and by way of the marks - the judges.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Had to laugh at Tara's trying to walk back her statement that Josh's SP wasn't as fast or powerful because he doesn't know how to make use of his blade. Silliest statement ever from her. True, he had to follow Max Aaron who is all speed and power but little nuance, yet I far more enjoyed Josh's performance as did Terry Gannon and Johnny Weir and by way of the marks - the judges.

Yeah, Tara criticizing Joshua's program at the best part of the choreo was very annoying. She did have a point though about Joshua using edges more to generate speed within his steps. -That is an area that he can improve in. (She didn't even explain it very well) But she could have made a quick comment at the end or something. :disapp:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't like Ed Sheeran's music either, and had feared for Josh when he announced the program. I thought it would be one of those introverted, emo type programs cause the song is kind of that way. I'm thankful I was really wrong.

lmarie086

Medalist
I've liked Josh casually in the past, but I'm fully on the bandwagon now. That was gorgeous, sublime, ughh I don't have the words. You could tell that he really felt the program, he's such a musical skater. Shame about that little flub on the combo, because he and Jason would be even closer in the scores.

Considering lighting candles for Josh, Jason and Ricky (my poor guy :( ) for the free skate.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I just looked at the protocols of the top 3... Josh only receives a Level 2 on one of his spins? (Change Foot Combination) Not that it would make a difference in the standings, as it was only a 1 pt difference in the base value; but I'm perplexed as he has the best spins of the top men.

I also thought he should have scored higher than Jeremy in Choreography/Composition. Maybe even in Interpretation, but that's perhaps the most subjective of all the PCS.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I also thought he should have scored higher than Jeremy in Choreography/Composition. Maybe even in Interpretation, but that's perhaps the most subjective of all the PCS.
I thought he should've outscored Jeremy in every area except SS and maybe TR.

Rissa

Record Breaker
But I also love rock and Indie music. Something very weird to the ears sounds fun and innovative.

I recommend some symphonic metal then! :biggrin:

It's hard not to like Ed Sheeran.

It's really not that hard, I assure you!

That said, Joshua skated a beautiful program You know how sometimes good music elevates a program, and how sometimes a good program elevates the music? Josh definitely was the latter case for me.

Like os168, I can't get into Jason's program. I get that it's supposed to be "fun" but I can't warm up to it. Maybe it's the music. Or the suspenders. (But then I can't get into Javier's "fun" programs either, and I really like Javier...)

I really enjoyed Adam Rippon though, there's something extraordinary about the way he skates.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The primary issue for me with Jason's short is that a few years ago, as a Junior, he did a jazzy "Hey Pachuco!" short. Which was WAY BETTER THAN THIS. The program is so juniorish. And the costuming doesn't help.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Watching Jason's SP here attentively (I didn't before), I'm quite disappointed and annoyed now. It's not just the style of it that is lacking. He noticeably messed up one of his turns in his footwork sequence and his spins are not executed as well as they could be. The choreography of the spins in general leaves something to be desired. They make him do the second sit spin position with 8 revolutions and that just makes it lose too much speed and doesn't match the music. He should instead do a change of foot with a jump to get the level feature and just hold that position for a few revolutions. Then on his camel spin they have him do a lackluster upside-down position and his excellent catch-foot position isn't given enough time to shine. In the combination spin he can do better than that wonky half-upright tuck position as well. Why not just go directly down into the tuck sit spin and then finish off with a quick scratch spin in the crossfoot position?

He also ends after the music in this performance, several seconds after, which is not good. Plus, why are they having him do the 3Flip-3Toe in the first half of the program?? That just throws away nearly a whole point in base value. It makes no sense. He has no quad and is doing everything he can in the LP to backload, but then in the easier SP they don't backload the jump combo? Really a big mistake.

I don't think he deserved to win this Championship now. He should have been only a few points ahead of Adam Rippon in the SP, at most, and I'd actually say that Josh Farris deserved to edge him out for the SP win.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Watching Jason's SP here attentively (I didn't before), I'm quite disappointed and annoyed now. It's not just the style of it that is lacking. He noticeably messed up one of his turns in his footwork sequence and his spins are not executed as well as they could be. The choreography of the spins in general leaves something to be desired. They make him do the second sit spin position with 8 revolutions and that just makes it lose too much speed and doesn't match the music. He should instead do a change of foot with a jump to get the level feature and just hold that position for a few revolutions. Then on his camel spin they have him do a lackluster upside-down position and his excellent catch-foot position isn't given enough time to shine. In the combination spin he can do better than that wonky half-upright tuck position as well. Why not just go directly down into the tuck sit spin and then finish off with a quick scratch spin in the crossfoot position?

He also ends after the music in this performance, several seconds after, which is not good. Plus, why are they having him do the 3Flip-3Toe in the first half of the program?? That just throws away nearly a whole point in base value. It makes no sense. He has no quad and is doing everything he can in the LP to backload, but then in the easier SP they don't backload the jump combo? Really a big mistake.

I don't think he deserved to win this Championship now. He should have been only a few points ahead of Adam Rippon in the SP, at most, and I'd actually say that Josh Farris deserved to edge him out for the SP win.

Maybe you should tweet his team and tell him how terribly lacking you found everything so that they can be sure to improve it before 4CCs. While you're at it, maybe you can shame Jason into giving up his gold medal to Josh.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe you should tweet his team and tell him how terribly lacking you found everything so that they can be sure to improve it before 4CCs. While you're at it, maybe you can shame Jason into giving up his gold medal to Josh.

:rofl: Maybe some other posters can tweet his team and convince them to completely change his personality while he is at it?;)

Meoima

Match Penalty
that escalate quickly :drama: so you think Adam or Josh should have won NOW?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
:rofl: Maybe some other posters can tweet his team and convince them to completely change his personality while he is at it?;)

Well actually, now I think of it, BOP should just get hold of USFS and all the judges and tell them what a travesty the judging was and petition them to make everyone redo their skates so we can get it RIGHT.