2017 GP Cup of China Mens SP | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Cup of China Mens SP

mysticice

Rinkside
The last time Fernanzez did Chaplin (LP) he was still a jovial young man and he made it work superbly. Now he is clearly a more serious adult and I feel that he has outgrown the silliness of Chaplin.

nimi

Medalist
The GOEs for Kolyada's lutz are a hilarious example of this sport's terrible rulebook. HOW is it allowable that half of the judging panel cannot agree on the application of the preceding steps rule? I don't even mind the ruling either way -- it's the lack of decision that's ludicrous. Could they make it any more obvious that it is a "waive this rule if you want to boost this skater" type of deal.
This is why I wish they'd make the tech panel responsible for calling whether the required the steps were there, just like they do for the edge calls. Or like in pairs, twist levels (although the tech panels tend to be too harsh there IMO and often the shortest break between the preceding steps and the launch results in a lost level, so kind of an opposite problem there... But at least the tech calls re: twist levels are not wildly unpredictable and all over the place, unlike when it comes to judges calling this SP solo jump thing.)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
In Javi's defense, he deserves his PCS. He didn't just skate to Chaplin, he acted one with skating. His excellent control over the blades was used to portray Chaplin. It was beyond superficial level that most skaters do with face and gesture in a pausing section. He played with the rhythm, and used it fluently to be Chaplin. I think he has opened up a new dimension/level of what skating can be. Thus, I believe it should be viewed significant as conquering quads like Yuzu, and mastering skating skills as Chan. JIMO.

I don't think anyone is doubting his components, but the TES with a 3t-2t and a messy 3A is inflated.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Could they make it any more obvious that it is a "waive this rule if you want to boost this skater" type of deal.

This is the problem with the 'no steps' rule, and has been for a while now.
It is a rule. As long as it is a rule, it should be universally applied. Not a little bit of this and then a little bit of that. It's not the only rule that is getting creative interpretations either. Han Yan had a clear fall today but apparently not.

Figure skating scoring proves you very much can be just a 'little bit pregnant'. :rolleye:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
The GOEs for Kolyada's lutz are a hilarious example of this sport's terrible rulebook. HOW is it allowable that half of the judging panel cannot agree on the application of the preceding steps rule? I don't even mind the ruling either way -- it's the lack of decision that's ludicrous. Could they make it any more obvious that it is a "waive this rule if you want to boost this skater" type of deal.

The problem is that is very subjective they way judges consider very basic skating as steps or not.

The rule itself should be more explanatory.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
The problem is that is very subjective they way judges consider very basic skating as steps or not.

The rule itself should be more explanatory.

It used to be more explanatory when they at least mentioned difficult steps. You know what difficult steps are, at least. Now it's creative, original steps. What even....

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I think such a high score has brought Javi nothing and shall. I havent seen his best performance for a long time except Worlds 2017 SP. He is totally get used to getting judges help and hasnt made progress. He was slow and dull. And youngstars are coming. Sorry Javi, God sees the real thing.

Ah, hamaguri, good to see you here. Yeah, I too was disappointed with Javi's performance. When he's on, he's great, and he's a great skater overall, but- today just wasn't his day. The PCS for such a half-assed performance with mistakes was too high, and this is probably the 1st time I'm using this word, but Tanaka was robbed IMO. He was great except for the 1st spin, and he gave it his all. For me he's the 2nd best skater today in Men.
Kolyada was amazing, he took my breath away. Boyang, mildly disappointing, I wasn't feeling the 'it' factor that his previous SP had. But maybe I just need to get used to it.

nimi

Medalist
Ah, hamaguri, good to see you here. Yeah, I too was disappointed with Javi's performance. When he's on, he's great, and he's a great skater overall, but- today just wasn't his day. The PCS for such a half-assed performance with mistakes was too high, and this is probably the 1st time I'm using this word, but Tanaka was robbed IMO.
Did you really feel he "half-assed" his program today? While I totally get the criticism that those glaring jump errors should've been reflected in some of the PCS categories more (corridor judging & reputational judging sucks, and yeah, I think Tanaka got wuzrobbed a bit), my impression as a viewer was that Javi really made the effort to perform the spins, the st sq, the "in-betweens" -- i.e. the actual choreography -- to a high standard, showing good musicality & commitment to his choreo throughout. So, I just don't get the accusation of him half-assing his peformance in addition to screwing up those jumps.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
While I loved Koliada's program and his 4Lz was insane, but there might be a small problem. I would say it's better to do a 4Lz3T than a single 4Lz, as doing that freaking 4Lz out of steps is close to impossible. It is true, most skaters don't do too many steps before any quad. Honestly, I felt Jin might have a problem with that 4T because it is really done out of steps.
While Mikail 4Lz was gorgeous, but I would not say it was out of steps...

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
It was a not very delightful evening here in Beijing becase half of the guys or so would have not made well even in the ladies category. The second group was a bit better (but hard for a die-hard Javi fan).

To all those somehow dissing Javi's choreo and the effects of his performance let me just say that his spins and steps were just about the only ones tonight to which the audience reacted audibly. Usually only the jumps were rewarded with applause.

No one else has all the elements - jumps, spins and steps -so deeply integrated into the storyline as Javi does, every movement serves the story ad the interpretation. And he makes it look so easy and natural. I hope the youngsters will some day get to that level of all-around skating.

E

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Javi with some serious fame points here. The 3A was terrible and he had a 3-2 combo. Yet he's still at above 90 points? When will this ridiculous inflation end?

Edit: Also, Kolyada's lutz shouldn't have received +3 GOE from a couple of judges like it did. I know it was a great lutz in a vacuum but - Where were the steps? Isn't that supposed to be an automatic GOE reduction by about 3 points? So even if you were supposed to give it +3, you should instead give it a 0.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I was not happy with Kolyada's choice of music for SP but today the beauty of body movements, of all the elements matched the unearthy quality of music and left me in tears (I still disagree with tango part but if it made easier for Mika so be it!)

HanDomi

Record Breaker
woah, Kolyada's 4lz was spectacular

but still it should be at best 0 GOE, no steps at all to solo jump

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Judge 8 is Delfa. He is most definitely never going to underscore Javier. The dude sits in Javier's K&C sometimes. J9 who gave the -3 seems to have scored him fine on the rest, so probably hit the wrong button on the combo.

How is he allowed to judge an event with Javier in it then??

da96103

Record Breaker
I´m also with Judge 9
Since its warhorse year,

No, not jumpin'. Poppin'.
So, I said to him
I said "You pop that jump one more time..."
End he did
So I took the shotgun off the wall
And I fired two warning shots
Into his head

You naughty person. I hope Javi doesn't run into your knife, run into your knife ten times.

da96103

Record Breaker
I got a bit of distanced from skating rn with the whole following Ragnarok realease
checked the results

& wow! Misha's 1st!:dance3:
Now pls go on that way!

You chose Chris Hemsworth over Javier? What do you have to say for yourself?

vorravorra

Record Breaker
While I loved Koliada's program and his 4Lz was insane, but there might be a small problem. I would say it's better to do a 4Lz3T than a single 4Lz, as doing that freaking 4Lz out of steps is close to impossible. It is true, most skaters don't do too many steps before any quad. Honestly, I felt Jin might have a problem with that 4T because it is really done out of steps.
While Mikail 4Lz was gorgeous, but I would not say it was out of steps...
That's the goal. But not all at once.

nimi

Medalist
That's really a shame !
I'm not sure what you mean. Could you elaborate a bit? Like, did you feel Kolyada's 4lutz WAS done out of steps and filled that requirement and that therefore none of the judges should have applied the (supposedly) obligatory GOE reduction?