2017 Jr Worlds Ladies FS | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2017 Jr Worlds Ladies FS

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I thought Zagitova's skating was crap based on the comments, but her free was surprisingly watchable IMO. I felt like only yesterday when I watched the early junior events of the season, found Zagitova boring and here she is, much improved in both jumps and performance to the point that I wonder what I had been doing for the last 6 months :scratch2:.

Marin is spellbinding and there was several moments in her skating when it seemed like she didn't do anything in particular, but I got teary-eyed. I don't find the choreography spectacular and I think it was the one and only Marin who bought something special to it. When you look at it, to be a master at anything requires at least 10 years (think I read that number in an HBR article and I really believe it) and while Jeff Buttle is very talented, he hasn't done paying his dues IMO.

Some thoughts cross my mind:
- Mao's road to Pyeongchang is only getting darker :hopelessness::sad4:
- I hope the senior event next week will be as good as this.
- The bar is only getting higher. While Zagitova still has a lot to improve, but performance-wise I think she's not inferior to Yulia, Adelina, Mao, Zhenya etc at the same age.
- The fact that Alina looked nonchalant after hearing her score, and said that she would go home and continue to train as usual meant that she's gunning for an OGM. There'll probably only 1 spot left for 5 or 6 skaters to grab :drama:.

With the demise puberty and confidence issues of Polina T it looks like Zagitova is the"new" Russian hope. I preferred the maturity and artistry of Marin but I am impressed with Zag. If they work on her lines and presentation Satoko, Evgenia, Anna, Ashley et al could be in for a new challenger.

lishazard

Rinkside
Is Polina T injured? She was amazing at Russian Cup Finals only a few weeks earlier. Bummer that she couldn't show her full potential here.

I'm so happy for Marin! I didn't think she could've won against a clean Alina, but the fact that she set personal bests in both programs was awesome enough. Her beautiful smooth skating helps me overlook the fact that the second half of her program featured five jumping passes in a row. Maybe someday someone will come up with a backloaded program that actually has good choreography.

Why does Yuna S have relatively low PCS? She has among the lowest PCS in the top 6, even though I think her skate was pretty emotional and refined.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
My points regarding Marin is, she is talented and I love her glide, but other than that there is nothing from her I like. Choreography? Generic. Transitions? No. Jumps? Only her edge jumps ok. In short, I do not see how vastly superior she is, unlike some people here. I do not cry and I do not feel overwhelming by her performance.

Pretty much were I am too. Her spins are rather weak as well. And of course taste is subjective and it's great so many people enjoy her skating, but the hype is seriously irritating for me. She's very good, but for me, she's by no means 'on another planet' than the other girls here :shrug:

frida80

Record Breaker
With the demise puberty and confidence issues of Polina T it looks like Zagitova is the"new" Russian hope. I preferred the maturity and artistry of Marin but I am impressed with Zag. If they work on her lines and presentation Satoko, Evgenia, Anna, Ashley et al could be in for a new challenger.

I now have to repeat to myself. It'sjustonecompetitionIt'sjustonecompetitionIt'sjustonecompetitionIt'sjustonecompetitionIt'sjustonecompetition

This is not another Sima or Julia.... Nononono......:no:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I know I'm supposed to be bellyaching at this stage of an event thread but I just gotta toss a change up out there because it's been a while since I've heard that Janet Jackson song they played during Alina's KnC slow motion music. Kind of made my day a little brighter :)

And the tune was stolen from a Russian pop song "Ty u menya odin takoy" :)

Meoima

Match Penalty
Pretty much were I am too. Her spins are rather weak as well. And of course taste is subjective and it's great so many people enjoy her skating, but the hype is seriously irritating for me. She's very good, but for me, she's by no means 'on another planet' than the other girls here :shrug:
Yes. The striking good point about Marin is her glide and flow. I can watch her glide for long.
But overall I don't see special intepretation, choreography, speed, power, creativity, complexity... from her.
She is natural for sure. Such a lovely skater. But overall not that special and overwhemling to me.

Or maybe because I perfer skaters with bigger jumps and more power. ;)

Last edited:

mcq

Record Breaker
Anyway I just re-read the protocol, wow at their TES. Marin got 70.68 and Alina got 75.81. This is without Chsq so they will get 2-3 pts higher with it. If they keep skating like this and remain fairly consistent with minimum mistakes, they will probably get 70+ PCS next season in no time in the senior field. I prefer Marin by light years ahead, but Zagitova is not a horrible skater. Could work on SS more (and line) but other than that I don't have much complaints. Really girl, hope your team move that 2A and 3S to the first half and you will do wonder. Not much points lost either, but perhaps could result in better GOE.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker

She seems to be the only real threat to the Russians so far. And she is the only non-Russian who won junior worlds since many years. That's why all the hype. Although she is a great skater no doubt about but...from the very same planet.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think nobody will argue with Zagitovas tech scores. She has good jumps and landings and use the rippon effectively. I just don't agree on the relative PCS. She is no Marin or Sakamoto programme wise and the rather frantic jump to jump after the steps just look too cluttered for me. She certainly is not there SS wise yet although I think she can potentially be better than Zhenya but few will catch Zhenya in the X factor of likability with audience and judges except for maybe Marin.
High BV, pack program with transitions and consistency pay off. This is how the skating has always been. Unless some other girls break out with CONSISTENT 3A and UR quads, we won't see things differently. :drama:

Marius

Art on Ice
Final Flight
You must have missed my posts when I said I could not stand Alina's choreography huh? :rolleye: I was ranting about her horrible choreography (and the way she leans forward) from the very early season. The best thing about Alina's program is the dress, I mean... ;)

The thing is, what Alina does she does well according to the rules and she wins fairly. Alina actually gets lower PCS than Marin in both SP and LP. You might argue the PCS gap should be higher up to 2 points but it should not be to the point Marin win this competition.

My points regarding Marin is, she is talented and I love her glide, but other than that there is nothing from her I like. Choreography? Generic. Transitions? No. Jumps? Only her edge jumps ok. In short, I do not see how vastly superior she is, unlike some people here. I do not cry and I do not feel overwhelming by her performance.

Wait.. I was ok with your post til you say that Marin has no transitions.
She surely has passages of crossovers, and probably has less transitions than Zagitova (though better executed), but from there to say she has no transitions.
https://youtu.be/b2AZ8zMM6ks?t=44
Practically no crossovers going into the lutz and a very little time skating backwards.
https://youtu.be/b2AZ8zMM6ks?t=153
Difficult transitions - change of edge going into the double axel. She upgraded this for Junior Worlds.
https://youtu.be/7auua1fqb4k?t=192
Triple salchow from nowhere.
https://youtu.be/7auua1fqb4k?t=210
Triple loop from spiral + difficult transition.
https://youtu.be/7auua1fqb4k?t=233
Split jump + change of edge going into the 2 axel final combination.

I think this is an excellent program transition-wise. And, most importantly, all of these transitions are melted into the music and into the choreography beautifully. These transitions create little moments of lightness highlighting the choreography. And, finally, the transitions are very well executed.

Meoima

Match Penalty
She surely has passages of crossovers, and probably has less transitions than Zagitova (though better executed), but from there to say she has no transitions.
How about a lesson in reading comprehension? I said clearly: I love her glide, but other than that there is nothing from her I like. Choreography? Generic. Transitions? No. Jumps? Only her edge jumps ok.
That means I don't like her transitions, or I see nothing special in her transitions.

TMC

Record Breaker
Is it just me or is Marin's jumping style reminiscent of Laura Lepistö's?

Anyway, I really liked Marin's performance. Gongrats!

Marius

Art on Ice
Final Flight
How about a lesson in reading comprehension? I said clearly: I love her glide, but other than that there is nothing from her I like. Choreography? Generic. Transitions? No. Jumps? Only her edge jumps ok.
That means I don't like her transitions, or I see nothing special in her transitions.

I'm sorry if I didn't comprehend you. From the way you wrote that, it seemed to me that you said Marin has no transitions.
Peace and love :ghug:

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Actually I think if Marin become JSF No.1 next season, she will get higher PCS and GOE if Alina is just Russian No.2 :)

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I just realized that Korea lost a great shot to get three slots. Poor So Hyun an got 20th place.
True
It could've been possible if Yelim wasn't injured.

Not to say anything wrong about Sohyun but her jumps are still a work in progress.

madison

Record Breaker
https://youtu.be/b2AZ8zMM6ks?t=44
Practically no crossovers going into the lutz and a very little time skating backwards.
https://youtu.be/b2AZ8zMM6ks?t=153
Difficult transitions - change of edge going into the double axel. She upgraded this for Junior Worlds.
https://youtu.be/7auua1fqb4k?t=192
Triple salchow from nowhere.
https://youtu.be/7auua1fqb4k?t=210
Triple loop from spiral + difficult transition.
https://youtu.be/7auua1fqb4k?t=233
Split jump + change of edge going into the 2 axel final combination.

I think this is an excellent program transition-wise. And, most importantly, all of these transitions are melted into the music and into the choreography beautifully. These transitions create little moments of lightness highlighting the choreography. And, finally, the transitions are very well executed.
These links don't work for me:(

moriel

Record Breaker
I now have to repeat to myself. It'sjustonecompetitionIt'sjustonecompetitionIt'sjustonecompetitionIt'sjustonecompetitionIt'sjustonecompetition

This is not another Sima or Julia.... Nononono......:no:

the justonecompetition circle officially opened and chanting our mantra =(
hope she sorts it out during summer and slays next season.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I know I'm supposed to be bellyaching at this stage of an event thread but I just gotta toss a change up out there because it's been a while since I've heard that Janet Jackson song they played during Alina's KnC slow motion music. Kind of made my day a little brighter :)

I believe sunnystars was referring to that very song when she made the following comment:
some of the songs they're playing are older than certain skaters

The song "Doesn't Really Matter" was released in May 2000 so yes it is older than most, if not all, of them. :drama:

frida80

Record Breaker
True
It could've been possible if Yelim wasn't injured.

Not to say anything wrong about Sohyun but her jumps are still a work in progress.

Considering how much pressure she was under in glad that So Hyun kept it together enough to preserve two slots. I have to give credit to both her and Starr for stepping up to th plate and not totally caving under pressure as substitutes.