2021 Nebelhorn Trophy: Women's Short Program | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2021 Nebelhorn Trophy: Women's Short Program

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Alysa did not have a long edge into Lutz, but it definitely looked outside to me.
I agree it was outside, and the Flip seemed fine to me... However, I thought the +3T was under, and she got away with a 'q' call on it. I think it balances out, even if "incorrect".

Sjs5572

Final Flight
I wouldn't be that worried. At the biggest competitions (Worlds and Olympics), tech judges always tend to be more lenient, and to reward skaters in general.
This is true. However, there's something to be said about momentum leading up to the Olympics.

I wouldn't be that worried :biggrin: At the biggest competitions (Worlds and Olympics), tech judges always tend to be more lenient, and to reward skaters in general.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I agree it was outside, and the Flip seemed fine to me... However, I thought the +3T was under, and she got away with a 'q' call on it. I think it balances out, even if "incorrect".
Yeah, that was my point, if you are looking you can always find a mistake here or there, but as a whole picture it's more/less the same.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We are on exactly the same page.

The flip call was puzzling. She was lucky to escape with a 3T "q" on the combo.

Big picture: Her presentation is improving in leaps and bounds, and her technical elements look reasonably solid. Her team looks to be taking a sensible approach. I'm pleased.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I bet that's the plan going forward, since she was doing run throughs with a 3A in practice, but the goal here is to secure the spot. I'm sure we'll see it in the short in her GP events.
I hope so. Landed 3A even underrotated will still get you more points than 2A, and better 'reputation' for sure. I mean, no one of these current skaters are not Caro, so :biggrin:

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Big picture: Her presentation is improving in leaps and bounds, and her technical elements look reasonably solid. Her team looks to be taking a sensible approach. I'm pleased.
Yeah, I think she just needs to be careful on her combos at this point. The rest of her jumps are fine (even if she shouldn't be getting huge GOE), and her steps + spins are great. If she keeps developing with this SP, then the PCS should improve, too (and of course, if she's consistent, she'll get a consistency bonus, improvement or no).

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This comp is about one thing, and one thing only, for the US: securing Oly spots. Dazzling the world with your BV and jumps, not so much. Alysa will be a hero to the USFS for securing the third spot, and she can "go for it" in other comps.

Very smart thinking by her and her team(y)

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here are some fun head to head odds for the short program.

CHALLENGER SERIES. NEBELHORN TROPHY. GERMANY. WOMEN. SHORT PROGRAM. WHO IS BETTER

(short). Liu Alysa — Paganini Alexia

(short). Safonova Viktoriia — Kurakova Ekaterina

(short). Gutmann Lara Naki — Lea Serna

(short). Craine Kailani — Dasa Grm

That Liu v Paganini matchup is quite random. Haha

The Safanova v Kurakova matchup is quite juicy.
The Safanova v Kurakova matchup ended up beyond juicy. Safanova won 62.02 to 61.04.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, barring a legendary choke, the USA got it done.

Next question is how Lui does when she faces a higher level of competition, where she will not be the favorite going in. If she is able to beat a few of those opponents, then I may get on the hype train as well. But to be The Woman, you have to beat The Women of this sport first.

But it won’t be a bad thing to have another skater enter the upper tier.

The other +1 country, Austria, needs either a miracle or for their skater to learn a few quads in the next 2 days. Haha

But, we are pretty much guaranteed to have Mikutina there so all is right with the world after all.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Goes to Results page with some trepidation...

Kailani is currently in 4th! Hooray! :cheer: You go, girl! Go for that spot! :biggrin:
If they pull off great FS as well, I would consider this Nebelhorn to be the greatest clutch by Australian skaters in a long, long time. Brendan and Kailani literally pulled out the best skates they've had in years today. On the day it counted they stood up. I'm so freakin' proud of them and hope they convert it.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Really disappinted in LIu. I expected far more artistically and technically. She may be first but a real disappointment. I was thinking she would challenge the Russians but this won't cut it despite Russia struggling in some ways.