2022 Olympics Team Event Day1: Pairs Short Program | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics Team Event Day1: Pairs Short Program

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Finally I was able to see top two pairs. Both technically excellent but I personally would switch the final placement based on the performance. I am aware many see it different but esp. the interpretation of music was better with Nastia/Sasha, related to their music, and from both members of the pair. As for the chinese pair, I think Sui did well in this but Han wasn't a spanish dancer for me. Not that he did not execute the movements, but passion, fire that would be expected was not there. He was like when I am in the office, I do what they want from me but my face says I am completely elsewhere :biggrin:

Last edited:

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Dear Members. During the first day of competitions at the Olympics we have noticed that many posters are completely forgetting that these are competition threads, as for actual skaters competing. They are not threads to express with whom you have an axe to grind, to express your political opinions, your issues about doping allegations, any issues you may have with certain countries or people, your opinion about cheating or not, disparaging comments about people experiencing mental health issues, and/or any xenophobic or homophobic opinions you wish to express. Such posts are contrary to forum guidelines in general but are especially off putting in competition threads. Please focus on what is happening on the ice.

Posts which contain such sentiments derail the thread and take the joy out of taking part in these threads for other posters who join in to enjoy the experience of watching a Figure Skating competition with like minded posters. The moderators are free to delete all such posts without warning, and will do so if this continues.

Rudel-chw

On the Ice
Country
Chile
Spanish speaking people can watch the olympics LIVE for free on this YT Channel, here is the Team Pairs S/P:

:( ... it cant be embedded here, but you can watch it on the YouTube page.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They were so good that Johnny and Tara forgot to speak for the first time in their lives.
Nope. When Gracie landed her triple triple at US Nationals they said not one word until she was finished. So it’s at least the 2nd time.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
MG's pcs score is atrocious. It's always Russian skaters that could come out with strong technical elements and some kind of consistency and the judges will just go with them on their pcs scores regardless of their actual skating skills and performance quality. I won't be surprised if Boikova and Kozlovski would also be getting SH's pcs scores if they remained somewhat consistent throughout this cycle. Skates from other countries always need to wait until they become somewhat a 'veteran' to get similar pcs.
I wouldn't say it's atrocious, just that the gap should have been more than a fraction of a point. Maybe 36 (9) for M/G. It doesn't really matter here because no matter how close they are, they are still second and Russia only gets 9 points. But I worry that in the individual event, Russian complaints might influence the judging, like they did when the Russian fed complained about Russian ladies being called for wrong edges. Of course, the federation can't write a letter here, because they are banned. Though there is nothing to stop them from picking up the phone.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Finally I was able to see top two pairs. Both technically excellent but I personally would switch the final placement based on the performance. I am aware many see it different but esp. the interpretation of music was better with Nastia/Sasha, related to their music, and from both members of the pair. As for the chinese pair, I think Sui did well in this but Han wasn't a spanish dancer for me. Not that he did not execute the movements, but passion, fire that would be expected was not there. He was like when I am in the office, I do what they want from me but my face says I am completely elsewhere :biggrin:
I feel the S/H felt fresher, however, because we didn’t see that SP some 15 times by now & usually S/H don’t do anything for me. Close competition is good tho.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yes, K/F beating the Japanese in pairs and losing only one placement to the Russians is kind of a big deal. Couple that with an unexpected win in the free dance... this is just about as well as they could hope.

Of course, Mark giving up only two placements to Nathan is also a big deal.

K/F beating the Japanese pair (especially after both went clean) is a big deal for sure.

But the biggest "clutch" skater was Mark. Especially with several strong skates in the team men SP.

Way more competitive men's team SP this time around:

Compared to 2018:

I'm wondering if SK/F or CG/L can hold off the Japanese pair in the FS. Canada making the FS could actually factor in to USA challenging Russia... but I think at this point Japan's got the bronze unless something wild happens.

I also think they'll put S/K in the FD for Russia and with a better skate there, they might hold off the Americans in that segment. The fact they almost still beat H/D with errors says they've got the advantage.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I feel the S/H felt fresher, however, because we didn’t see that SP some 15 times by now & usually S/H don’t do anything for me. Close competition is good tho.
It is good in the individual competition, Now when 0.2 point difference is the same like 20 point difference it is frustrating sometimes :biggrin:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
It is good in the individual competition, Now when 0.2 point difference is the same like 20 point difference it is frustrating sometimes :biggrin:
There was no bias, it came down to math, since 5 judges have M/G in first, 4 had S/H and it was close. I feel that I am actually more bias than the judges in this case, because I am so deathly tired of M/G SP and can’t stand their FP music. So, when it’s this close, I would not pick M/G.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Alright folks, the polls are in! A mostly yellow TES box: getting banana'd. A mostly green TES box: getting clover'd (credit to @satine). A TES box going from red to green (or vice versa): getting watermeloned (credit to @anonymoose_au)
(I went with clover because while the others are great I feel like it's lucky to have a mostly clean skate and watermelon because it's a sudden surprise like cutting into a watermelon and seeing the different colours)

In addition, if you need reminders on the combo terms (because the men's singles event is coming up) here they are!
+BOMBO general term for bad combo
+ZOMBO missing combo due to a fall
+POMBO missing combo due to a pop
+STOMBO missing combo due to a step out
can be combined as needed!
master...teach me :bow:

catching up with pairs

- Knierim/Frazier were as on fire as Alexa's dress
- I love Miura/Kihara, even though i'm don't apreciate their music this season. i hope their success helps their disciplines in their country
- i'm so sad Nicole never recovered from her injuries
- i've been missing Sui/Han so bad!

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
There was no bias, it came down to math, since 5 judges have M/G in first, 4 had S/H and it was close. I feel that I am actually more bias than the judges in this case, because I am so deathly tired of M/G SP and can’t stand their FP music. So, when it’s this close, I would not pick M/G.
I'm not saying the judges were biased, at least not in the sense of nationality, just that it is so close that it necessary comes down to applying the subjective criteria (subjective doesn't necesarilly mean biased), and that being just 0.2 point behind is the same like being 20 points behind. In the individual comeptition such difference means nothing and you can always catch it in the free (which is where I agree that "close competition is good), but in the team comeptition it already means one point more or less for the team standings.

Last edited:

HeadBanger

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I actually find the strength of Georgia to be a really compelling story of the Olympics. I wish any small rising country the best.

I have always felt like FS has been way too dominated by a handful of countries (which is why I was never a fan of the team event to begin with.)

I agree. At first it seemed like it was just kinda an excuse go get more skating on tv and give US/Canada/Russia an extra medal... and yeah, that's what it was

But it's given countries strong countries like Japan a reason to round out their programs and build up their weaker disciplines, and shown emerging skating nations that they can get in the conversation with a well rounded program even if they don't have the individual event firepower. I think it's been a positive for skating.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I wouldn't say it's atrocious, just that the gap should have been more than a fraction of a point. Maybe 36 (9) for M/G. It doesn't really matter here because no matter how close they are, they are still second and Russia only gets 9 points. But I worry that in the individual event, Russian complaints might influence the judging, like they did when the Russian fed complained about Russian ladies being called for wrong edges. Of course, the federation can't write a letter here, because they are banned. Though there is nothing to stop them from picking up the phone.
I don’t think the fed is going to react at all regarding the second place in pairs. That reaction to the score was mostly because they came second, I’m sure the moment they saw the protocols they were okay about it. M/G won worlds coming in third after the SP, and more than once they did that already.

Moskvina herself said that the Chinese would have the upper hand at home, I don’t think she would let anyone jeopardize her chance to win gold here. Everybody will just analyze and see what needs to happen for them to secure gold. If anything, the small difference in PCS is everything they need. I didn’t expect it to be this close.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
I don’t look at M/G as a junior team but this program does them no favors. It seems cheap and doesn’t show off their fine qualities.
I find it that way, too. I used to think it was fun and the fun had energy. That's what drew me to them. Now the fun just looks forced and plastered on top. Definitely not sophisticated. And the legs look so sloppy. I noticed this up against Boikova/K at Russian Nationals, where it was very obvious IMO.

I can't stand to watch M/G's program even one more time.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don’t think the fed is going to react at all regarding the second place in pairs. That reaction to the score was mostly because they came second, I’m sure the moment they saw the protocols they were okay about it. M/G won worlds coming in third after the SP, and more than once they did that already.

Moskvina herself said that the Chinese would have the upper hand at home, I don’t think she would let anyone jeopardize her chance to win gold here. Everybody will just analyze and see what needs to happen for them to secure gold. If anything, the small difference in PCS is everything they need. I didn’t expect it to be this close.

I disagree 🤷‍♂️

All the US ladies have recently shown SPs that could score around 70

I don't think even with a fall they'll be down at 7-8
I agree. I think the US ladies have a good chance to be third. With luck, second is not out of reach in at least one segment. I remember in 2018, Mirai came in second in the Team Event, beating Kaori Sakamoto and Carolina Kostner. She had the 3A of course, but she didn't score through the roof (137 as I reacall). Who else is going to seriously challenge them besides the Japanese?

Rere

Rinkside
Country
Canada
awwww Sui/Han and M/G were unbelievable!!!
and I'm rooting for team Canada like crazy, it's such a suspense