2022 World Figure Skating Championships: Men's Short Program | Page 53 | Golden Skate

2022 World Figure Skating Championships: Men's Short Program

DancingCactus

Final Flight
There were some really good skates today. Shoma was superb and I really hope he doesn't blow it in the free because when he has a good day he is breathtaking.
Yuma was also good, crazy GOE on the first jump. Kazuki is elegant, but personally I found it a bit boring (but technically excellent - the Japanese men are really all amazing when it comes to softness and precision). I don't really like Vincent's skating, but I'm glad he had this succesful skate after the Olympic curse. I think Deniss should have had higher PCS and I also felt like Keegan could have gotten a better score....I still can't stand Grassl's skating, though...Adam was cool, a shame Junhwan messed up...
Overall really enjoyable.

balabam

🥕🥕🌵🌵😈😀
Record Breaker
Country
Slovakia
When was the last time we´ve been so happy after a men´s competition :laugh:
Exactly, you are right. Normally, almost every single men´s competition we can call as a hot mess. But not today.
Quad success of 90%, Only 7 pops of 29 skaters (and only on triples), 12 of 29 personal bests.

What's more: This year mark to qualify for the FS is 71.42. Last year it was 70.74. But if we adjust for RUS, BLR, CHN skaters last year, who advanced to the FS. it would be 63.88 last year, And this comparison does not include the skaters who have after-olympics hiatus

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This was yet another very satisfying session of skating.

Those who turn up their noses at a post-Olympics WC can sit down now. We've heard enough from you. The three segments we've seen so far have definitely been worth watching.

Forget about the placements - so many skaters have delivered their best or close to it. It has to be personally gratifying for them. So many smiles!

The sport needed this.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If anyone wants to watch this on their TV, they are replaying it on USA network from 3-5 p.m. Eastern.

Edit: Men's SP is on now? Camden is skating. USA programming is off. lol.

Last edited:

Demandred

On the Ice
This was quite the competition, so many excellent performances. Shoma was the top highlight for me, such a marvelous skate. Rizzo's step sequence was the most fun moment. But there were so many other great moments.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was expecting a splatfest - I mean it is men which automatically makes it a candidate for splatfest cause they go for so much difficulty and it's the end of a very long Olympic season. Instead we got great skate after great skate. How nice to see! So proud of the American guys who all had a lot of pressure on them - Ilia for being the designated "next one", Vincent for trying to redeem his Olympic nightmare, and Camden who came in as such a late replacement. I thought Vincent's lutz combo looked clean (though the sal was more obviously under) but he got the q call - still a great and emotional skate for him.. I thought a few other guys' quads looked q on slomo but they got called clean. I think Vincent's reputation hurt him there. Ilia was cool as a cucumber - that quad lutz is a beauty! And Camden was so good - put his whole heart into it!

Shoma was fantastic! The best I've ever seen him and I feel like I've been watching him for twenty years lol! Well-deserved first! Yuma with a minor hiccup is still in great position and Kazuki delivered. Daniel was great too, closing the whole show! Cha was the biggest disappointment today (sorry Cha - I cursed you by picking you to medal in my predictions!)

maofan

Final Flight
I’ve been watching figure skating for more than 5 decades, and I still love a skater’s skater.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m amazed by skaters doing all those quads, but unless they are seamlessly woven into the choreography, they only distract me from the program. I still think that putting a cap on how many quads are allowed in a program( FP) it’s a good thing for figure skating( maybe 3-4 for men, 2 for women it’s enough).
My absolute favourite men program, albeit an exhibition one, it’s Kurt Browning,s Nyah choreographed without any jumps ( he added few jumps for the 2001 World Ice Challenge).
I also think that Jason’s Sinnerman it’s a masterpiece, and I don’t care if he lands a quad or not, nobody can skate that program like he does. I have other favourites over the years, but it will take me too long to mention them.
I thought most men did a great job today and I only hope they will skate wonderfully in the free skate!

whatif

Medalist
Why are we talking about C/L in this thread??
Anyway, this was a really exciting competition. The men saved this event.

Of course, the scores were inflated even worse than with any Russians around though. Malinin is going to medal here. Great!

So Japan/Japan/USA.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Watched last two flights, but could not comment simultaneously on here.

I. Love. Men's. Skating.

This was so so so good, and even without two of my favorite skaters, (Donovan😭). Personally, would it have been better with my two favorite skaters. Of course.

Was it still eminently worth watching? No doubt:hap10:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Is there anything in skating more thrilling than a Keegan spin? And yet his marks for a spin top out at around 5 points for base plus GOE, while a top jump element tops out around 3x that. Not sure how to handle this...
To each their own, of course, but I don’t even think Keegan is the best spinner among the Canadian men—that would be Roman Sadovsky!