2023 Europeans Entries | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2023 Europeans Entries

NaVi

Medalist
OT-ish, but with Russia out I've been a big believer for a long time that it would be better if Russians didn't skate at Europeans and that Europeans served the same function as nationals in other big skating countries and be a very loose qualifier for Worlds. Say that you must be in the top 18 in the singles events to go to Worlds. and that would be without Russian skaters so it'd be more like the top 21 as it is now. This will never be accepted because all these small countries want to go to worlds too.

Andrea82

Medalist
So Frangipani is the third Italian man. So Fed strictly followed the ranking (Nationals + 2 best other scores). There was around 5 points between Frangipani and Memola, leaving the possibility (if the gap is less than 30 points) to selection committee to switch the order.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I am very excited for the 15 pairs competing, which is more than the number skating the FS at worlds :popcorn:
Hopefully we can see the return of Germany's 3rd spot, France's 2nd spot, Spain and Finland next year :)
Pairs will likely be such a tight competition. Euros might not have the top 3 teams of the season, but they do have the pairs with the 4th, 6th, 7th, 9th and 10th highest season's scores - And these are all within 10 points, so even small mistakes could make quite the difference. 👀

Germany has a good chance of getting at least one pair on the podium this year (Hoping Hocke/Kunkel can pull through and be rewarded after their difficult last season and the inopportune positive Covid test this season :pray:), so I'm quite optimistic about that third spot. Same for France, with the Kovalevs having the 5th highest SB of the teams here. ☺️
Such a shame Barquero/Zandron can't compete in a season where they would have very good chances of making the podium or even winning, but the rules are the rules and should be applied the same way to everyone.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I thought the German pairs still had to fight it out at their Nationals but that is presumably not the case. Still, I hope they will have three pairs next year! I agree with @Jumping_Bean that it's a real pity that Barquero/Zandron can't compete (I liked them a lot last year) but of course the rules need to be followed. Three Italian teams! And the Kovalevs, the two lovely Georgian teams (of whom I hope they are back to strength) and of course a Dutch team as well. I am really looking forward to it!

Last edited:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I thought the German pairs still had to fight it out at their Nationals but that is presumably not the case. Still, I hope they will have three pairs next year! I agree with @Jumping_Bean that it's a real pity that Barquero/Zandron can't compete (I liked them a lot last year) but of course the rules need to be followed. Three Italian teams! And the Kovalevs, the two lovely Georgian teams (of whom I hope they are back to strength) and of course a dutch team as well. I am really looking forward to it!
No I think nationals is still important - this link shows that qualification to euros is calculated by ranking based on challengers, GP events and nationals. R/S could be substituted back in depending on the outcome!

E/B have the highest SB in challengers, H/K the highest score in GP and R/S were the only ones to skate at both GP events...all 3 have a GP medal...I can't work it out :scratch2:

Karina Safina recently posted on IG that she was not in the best shape and how 2022 started and finished as 2 opposites. I hope she is ok!

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
No I think nationals is still important - this link shows that qualification to euros is calculated by ranking based on challengers, GP events and nationals. R/S could be substituted back in depending on the outcome!

E/B have the highest SB in challengers, H/K the highest score in GP and R/S were the only ones to skate at both GP events...all 3 have a GP medal...I can't work it out :scratch2:

Karina Safina recently posted on IG that she was not in the best shape and how 2022 started and finished as 2 opposites. I hope she is ok!
Yes, I agree that they might make substitutions based on results at Nationals, and while the usual criteria would likely lead to the same teams for Worlds and Euros, I could also see them sending the best pair to both and the other ones to one competition each. I think H/K would be the safest choice to send to both Euros and Worlds, as they've so far been the most consistent of the three teams, but we've not seen really seen them after Annika had Covid, so Nats will be important to see what condition they are in.

Unfortunately for both R/S and the German fed, they're not Jr eligible anymore. Such a shame, Germany has two pairs spots and not a single junior eligible pair with Jr Worlds minimums.

Yes, I'm quite worried about Karina, their skates at GP France were very hard to watch. I hope she has recovered well since then, or that they'll at least lessen the difficulty if she hasn't but they still want to compete.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Where has Alina Urushadze disappeared to? Now that Georgia has 2 women spot at Europeans and Worlds I thought we would see her this season?:scratch2:
Alina had a leg injury before the Olympics and has had issues with it ever since it seems. As far as I know, she was unable to train fully as late as September and possibly later.

She's still posting on IG and was skating in an ice show recently (video of her doing a 3S in preparation), but it seems that there's no indication that she's going to return to competition anytime soon.

Country
Norway
I´m surprised Nikolaj Majorov is not even listed as sub? Why would Sweden not have a sub in men? :( And same in ladies? Emilie Ling has minimum as well. I mean seriously, after what happen last year with Nikolaj WD and no men competing for Sweden, I think it´s very strange. I´m not sure if they actually had a sub last year, I think Nikolaj WD was pretty late so it was probably too late for sub. But still, why take the risk..

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
There still are no more male skaters grom Latvia who has TES than Deniss? I suppose they would have three spots because Deniss medalled last year.

Andrea82

Medalist
There still are no more male skaters grom Latvia who has TES than Deniss? I suppose they would have three spots because Deniss medalled last year.
There was Daniels KOCKERS who got the TES minimums last season (and competed at 2022 Euros). However, he hasn't competed this season. TNo other Latvian male skater competed in a senior international competition this season or last season.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It is a pity Latvia hasn't more male skaters.

Women's discipline is interesting. Behind Loena there are so many who could medal. Skating clean and PCS will be in big role.