2023 Europeans Entries | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2023 Europeans Entries

DenissVFan

Medalist
There still are no more male skaters grom Latvia who has TES than Deniss? I suppose they would have three spots because Deniss medalled last year.
Maybe next year they'll have 4: Deniss, Daniels Kockers (when he returns), Fedir Kulish (switching countries from Ukraine), Kirills Korkacs (If he turns senior).

Tingeling

Rinkside
I´m surprised Nikolaj Majorov is not even listed as sub? Why would Sweden not have a sub in men? :( And same in ladies? Emilie Ling has minimum as well. I mean seriously, after what happen last year with Nikolaj WD and no men competing for Sweden, I think it´s very strange. I´m not sure if they actually had a sub last year, I think Nikolaj WD was pretty late so it was probably too late for sub. But still, why take the risk..
Based on this interview, Nikolaj is probably taking a break from competition. Mental burnout + back injury.
He has previously spoken about his struggle with depression.

Gabriel Folkesson has the minimums as well, but he's going to the Universiade.

About Emelie; she hasn't skated a clean SP this season even with easier jumps. At nationals she did 3S+2T, 3T (fall), 1A* so it's not like she's being overambitious. Maybe coming off an injury, she had a very rough start to the season.

Here's hoping Andreas and Josefin stay healthy :pray:

Country
Norway
Based on this interview, Nikolaj is probably taking a break from competition. Mental burnout + back injury.

About Emelie; she hasn't skated a clean SP this season even with easier jumps. At nationals she did 3S+2T, 3T (fall), 1A* so it's not like she's being overambitious. Maybe coming off an injury, she had a very rough start to the season.

Thanks for the clarification! Oh my, i´m so sad for Nikolaj, i´m hoping the break will help him and that he can get the struggles sorted out. I did notice his name wasn´t on the entries for Nordics either, so I suspected something was up with him :( Speedy recovery!

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I think Deniss came 3rd last year, so Latvia would have two spots. I'm confident he could achieve two again this year :giggle:
There was Daniels KOCKERS who got the TES minimums last season (and competed at 2022 Euros). However, he hasn't competed this season. TNo other Latvian male skater competed in a senior international competition this season or last season.
Yes, in summer he posted about his coaching change to Turenko & Magri, Mikonsaari in Italy. Not sure why he hasn't competed, but recently he has been training 4T, 4S+3S, see https://twitter.com/danielskockers

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I think Deniss came 3rd last year, so Latvia would have two spots. I'm confident he could achieve two again this year :giggle:

Yes, in summer he posted about his coaching change to Turenko & Magri, Mikonsaari in Italy. Not sure why he hasn't competed, but recently he has been training 4T, 4S+3S, see https://twitter.com/danielskockers
Yeah, he tweeted yesterday that he's skipping the whole season and was apologizing for it:

Usually, when someone skips a whole season for no apparent reason while apparently still training to their fullest potential, I would assume they're switching feds and his wording of "when I will be able to compete" kind of would fit that, but on the other hand, I'm not sure to which country he would switch and how much sense that would make. Sure, he might not beat Deniss, but there's nobody else on Deniss' heels within Latvia either, so as long as Deniss places within the top ten, any second spot at Worlds/Euros would go to him.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

Still Emelie won nationals and has the minimum tech. So it's worrying that she isn't a substitute.

Gabriel could have gone to both Uni games and Euros(if necessary) But perhaps not possible for him due to studies or something else.

Yes really important that Andreas and Josefin are healthy. Swedish figure skating is pretty vulnerable at the moment.

All the best to Nikolaj and hoping for a great come back when he's ready.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Yeah, he tweeted yesterday that he's skipping the whole season and was apologizing for it:

Usually, when someone skips a whole season for no apparent reason while apparently still training to their fullest potential, I would assume they're switching feds and his wording of "when I will be able to compete" kind of would fit that, but on the other hand, I'm not sure to which country he would switch and how much sense that would make. Sure, he might not beat Deniss, but there's nobody else on Deniss' heels within Latvia either, so as long as Deniss places within the top ten, any second spot at Worlds/Euros would go to him.

Plus, with his brother also skating and potentially sharing the national team with him,.. I would not get that move either. And competition in the nearer countries is even tighter?

He might just be busy with the training move and keeping up everything else while doing it, like school/studies. Or he had a minor injury late in the summer and it took longer to heal than he expected and now he feels it does not make much sense to "start" his season?

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Looks like the ISU have made an exception for Estonia in the women's event. Eva-Lotta only came 11th last year, but Estonia got two spots.

EDIT: My bad. I totally forgot Niina came 8th, so it's all good.

Last edited:

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Looks like the ISU have made an exception for Estonia in the women's event. Eva-Lotta only came 11th last year, but Estonia got two spots.
If two skaters take part, then result of their placements counted together must be 28 or lower. 11+8=19, so it is by rules. If I remember right, placements between 16-24 all get 16 points.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
The two Georgian pairs, Anastasiia Metelkina/Daniil Parkman and Karina Safina/Luka Berulava, have withdrawn :( If there are no further withdrawals, we're now down to just 13 pairs entries.

Both pairs have unfortunately been struggling with injuries the whole season, but issues travelling from Russia (as far as I know both pairs train there) could also be the reason for the withdrawal.
Either way, I'm hoping that they'll be able to take part in the World Championships ❤️

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
They are training in Germany this season. At least, according to their bios.
Yeah, officially both are with Alexander König, but Berulava/Safina were accompanied by Dudakov at GP France and I've honestly just never even seen them with Alexander König.

Metelkina/Parkman were definitely training in Germany and Alexander König was with them at competitions, but it seems like Nastya at least was in Russia a week ago, probably for Orthodox Christmas, so that could have still caused travel issues.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Vladimir Litvinsev WD due to visa issues. He is preparing for Worlds.

Good fight from Litvintzev to stay in competition, but I assume he will follow into Ryabova’s footsteps soon. Quite a change from carrying the flag at the Oly for the team. He was so happy…

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Vladimir Litvinsev WD due to visa issues. He is preparing for Worlds.
Well, that's gonna be the new reality for the Russian-based/Russian skaters even if the latter are allowed back in competition again. Visas to Europe won't be forthcoming like they used to.
I'm sad, I was looking forward to Litvintsev skating and in the K&C with new coach Vika Butsaeva. :(

Last edited:

fehervari

On the Ice
Georgia, Hungary, Serbia, Moldova, Poland (and Russia)

I'm very glad that the Georgian Federation saved Gubanova's career, but I still think it's immeasurably unfair what happened to Urushadze, who carried the women's discipline on her back for years alone, got an Olympic spot, and was sent to Courchevel for a JGP out of gratitude.
ok, that's the past. however, the current problem is that, despite the good results, I don't see it as in Tbilisi, Gori, etc. born skaters would flood the novice competitions. the Fed's (specifically Mariam Giorgobiani) argument in favor of transfers is a circulus vitiosus. I'm afraid they will never reach the goal.
on the other hand, they have a strong team from the Russian C Division. but Hungary's Z-League Russians... please. it's a joke.
only the Serbian practice is more terrifying. I don't know how much it costs to keep Dubinina up to date, and how much the Association spends on making her compete - and how much they spend on themselves while accompanying her. all I know is that even watching her on the ice is getting more and more embarrassing, while e.g. Ana Scepanovic is preparing without a coach or support.

before anyone accuses me of russophobia: I am very confident that Gracheva will be focused and sharp. hers is one of the most imaginative, best SPs of the season (unfortunately I don't know who the choreographer is), but it only works if she's accurate. and I was happy to see at the Universiade that Kurakova's movements and jumps are starting to come together, and her performance is comic again. in the first half of the season she was very wooden.
however, it's very sad that the Polish silver medalist will not be there at the Euro. I don't know what PZSW did or could have done to get the ISU to accept Bialas' JGP scores for entry (she didn't meet the tech minimum of SP in a senior competition). I don't think she would have made it to the final24, but it would have been nice to see her once. maybe not a great skater but she's a special, sensual phenomenon on the ice. with very little confidence.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Well, that's gonna be the new reality for the Russian-based/Russian skaters even if the latter are allowed back in competition again. Visas to Europe won't be forthcoming like they used to.
I'm sad, I was looking forward to Litvintsev skating and in the K&C with new coach Vika Butsaeva. :(
It's also looks like he WD from the GP stage for the same reason. He wasn't injured as he took part in Denis Ten Memorial after withdrawal from his assignment.

I don't think Vika would go. Especially to Finland.