2023 Four Continents Men's Short Program | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2023 Four Continents Men's Short Program

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I had an intestinal obstruction. Went in Friday night. Got out 5 pm yesterday. Fortunately no surgery or I’d be there several more days.

I was so smart for prioritizing Gracie. I would have been out of my mind if I had had a ticket.

Clearly God cursed me when I was born to never see Keegan skate live as long as I live. 🥲
🥲🥲 @Seven Sisters has twice! I hear when he spins and you see him in person it’s just a blur because he’s so fast…but I will NEVER KNOW…because he’s becoming a dang firefighter.

And I was not happy with the PCS when I saw them. I love them both but I think Keegan should have been in 3rd and Jimmy in 2nd. But like I said Jimmy’s gonna have to skate that way a bunch more times before he gets PCS like Keegan’s. It’s almost like you have to earn them in advance.
I have seen Keegan skate live a bunch of times... He is amazing... his speed doesn't translate on screen. He is insanely fast... nobody comes close. At Nationals, I was sitting next to a couple ladies taking the "judging" courses.. They were filling score cards and one said well.. .good luck counting turns on these spins... the other answered : i am just assuming he did plenty more than required for that bullet !

LOL

rain

Record Breaker
Conrad : wow !!!! too bad about the rough exit on the 3a.. but the quads, and even the couple last spins...especially the last one !!! He was improved so much and still is improving at every outing. I looked at the protocols : two judges put him in the 5s for PCS... Give me a break... if it weren't for those two, the score would have been making a bit more sense to me... I am okay with being careful with giving PCS like candy but 33 for this? No. 33 for Conrad last year Yes. and yes... the Q on the axel is not cool either... Conrad often over-rotates and the commentator said that too so he is my new friend.

Anyways... good job boy !
I think it was the old classic problem of skating very early and not having the rep of the later skaters. I think he still has a lot of things he can improve in his skating, particularly in presentation, but I thought he could have legitimately been at least a couple of places higher and likely would have been if he'd skated later in the event. Cha for instance, who is my absolute favourite so it pains me utterly to say this, was a bit of a mess throughout his program and not nearly as expressive in it as I've seen earlier in the season, and with the jump error(s)...

But anyway, hoping he can do well again in the long program. The contest between him and Gogolev for the worlds spot is still far from over, I think.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think it was the old classic problem of skating very early and not having the rep of the later skaters. I think he still has a lot of things he can improve in his skating, particularly in presentation, but I thought he could have legitimately been at least a couple of places higher and likely would have been if he'd skated later in the event. Cha for instance, who is my absolute favourite so it pains me utterly to say this, was a bit of a mess throughout his program and not nearly as expressive in it as I've seen earlier in the season, and with the jump error(s)...

But anyway, hoping he can do well again in the long program. The contest between him and Gogolev for the worlds spot is still far from over, I think.
yeah... the contest is not over... but i was not impressed with Stephen again in the SP. Has he skated one very good SP this season?

I know a lot will be decided with the LP, and of course, I am biased... not many people on this forum sport a Conrad avatar ;) but I would give it to Conrad. He skated very well under pressure. He is calmer and attacks the programs. I don't get that vibe from Stephen...I got a 'let's skate not to make mistakes" sort of vibe from him... not much commitment. I also don't like the "let's remove a quad from the SP sort of deal... " I feel that Conrad deserves higher praise for all the improvements he has made... All I can wish for him is to have another solid skate tomorrow and see his PCS rise up a bit now that perhaps, he has proven he is there to compete with the big guys.

I hear it about skating so early in the order... but I expect better from judges... they should really look at what is happening on the ice and not when it is happening. I am not saying Conrad deserved 8s.... but 5s? Seriously?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have seen Keegan skate live a bunch of times... He is amazing... his speed doesn't translate on screen. He is insanely fast... nobody comes close. At Nationals, I was sitting next to a couple ladies taking the "judging" courses.. They were filling score cards and one said well.. .good luck counting turns on these spins... the other answered : i am just assuming he did plenty more than required for that bullet !

LOL
I am okay with Messing score. He got dinged technically but pc wise he tends to be cheated because he doesn't do the artsy or classical music like Brown and he doesn't get the credit like OGM Chen. But he is worthy of extraordinary pcs. Jimmy has a very strong fan base but to be objective he isn't that "special". But he has a chance to win it all. Liam did okay; not great. Great to see Cha and Boyang despite some issues in the battle. I had Cha winning this. I have waited for years for him to win a world medal and this could be his year. Orzel has taken the lead for that world spot in Canada. But his lead isn't unbeatable. Gogolov is going to get the tricks done in the freeskate.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am okay with Messing score. He got dinged technically but pc wise he tends to be cheated because he doesn't do the artsy or classical music like Brown and he doesn't get the credit like OGM Chen. But he is worthy of extraordinary pcs. Jimmy has a very strong fan base but to be objective he isn't that "special". But he has a chance to win it all. Liam did okay; not great. Great to see Cha and Boyang despite some issues in the battle. I had Cha winning this. I have waited for years for him to win a world medal and this could be his year. Orzel has taken the lead for that world spot in Canada. But his lead isn't unbeatable. Gogolov is going to get the tricks done in the freeskate.
Cha can still win it. Miura as well. Gogolev certainly has a higher ceiling for the LP, and I also expect him to skate well... however, he has to stop burying himself in the SP if he is to be awarded opportunities... The reality here is that Conrad did win silver at Nationals, and IMHO, Gogolev would need to prove that he is without a doubt worthy of dislodging Conrad from the world team... Not with this SP, I am afraid.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Just caught up. Mostly disappointments in terms of the guys I was rooting for, but the potential for come backs in the free is there. Really loved Ma in this one. As much as I love Messing, Ma’s program was a standout in the event imo. But, there’s always the free. Anyway, so far I don’t regret that we didn’t go to Colorado Springs.

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
Good luck in free. A little unexpected by placement. I am happy for Jimmy ma. I hope he can maintain for a medal even though I didn't put him in top 5

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lol no. They don’t give it with you to take home from the hospital. I have hydrocodone.
I'm sorry you are still medicated. I hope you start feeling better soon. Perhaps the altitude is messing with your health. Take care. Jimmy's short was everything and more than you hoped and this comes from someone not medicated last night. SO very proud of him.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
yeah... the contest is not over... but i was not impressed with Stephen again in the SP. Has he skated one very good SP this season?

I know a lot will be decided with the LP, and of course, I am biased... not many people on this forum sport a Conrad avatar ;) but I would give it to Conrad. He skated very well under pressure. He is calmer and attacks the programs. I don't get that vibe from Stephen...I got a 'let's skate not to make mistakes" sort of vibe from him... not much commitment. I also don't like the "let's remove a quad from the SP sort of deal... " I feel that Conrad deserves higher praise for all the improvements he has made... All I can wish for him is to have another solid skate tomorrow and see his PCS rise up a bit now that perhaps, he has proven he is there to compete with the big guys.

I hear it about skating so early in the order... but I expect better from judges... they should really look at what is happening on the ice and not when it is happening. I am not saying Conrad deserved 8s.... but 5s? Seriously?
I am with you Conrad > Stephen for the world team berth.
Good luck to both guys in the free.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was so happy to see Boyang again! I love his new program, finally someone skating to the original version of Seven Nations Army.
Plus for some reason it just feels so good to see him with Brian and Tracy.:hap10:
When I saw his music, I thought oh here we go with a bad cover or the jazzy version all the women were using for awhile. Hearing the White Stripes original was refreshing and he seemed to enjoy skating to something a bit edgy.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am okay with Messing score. He got dinged technically but pc wise he tends to be cheated because he doesn't do the artsy or classical music like Brown and he doesn't get the credit like OGM Chen. But he is worthy of extraordinary pcs. Jimmy has a very strong fan base but to be objective he isn't that "special".
That’s not objective. That is your SUBJECTIVE opinion. To which you are of course entitled.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
oh looks like a missed the cacti parade.

some random thoughts nobody needed or asked for:

- it's time to change shirt

- give the genius everything

-is Conrad meant to be a glass of wine? if so + 10 for interpretation

- the cactus field is stacked in America, Maxim, i don't think they need one more.

- happy to see chinese skaters

- good to see Gogolev landing things

-never fight with your hairdresser before an event, look what happened to Boyang. i've been messing him, happy to see him mostly on his feet

- Koshiro...le cactus...les sigh

- did Santa bring some consistency to Jimmy? i want to believe! also sorry Maddy, but Jimmy is the best swan

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I tweeted him from my hospital bed to remind him those were his legs. :rofl: :hap10: :jump: 🇺🇸
what is this about those being his legs??? What's the back story?

BTW, I thought his skate was utterly brilliant - lots of fantastic swan details, great posture and expression - and amazing jumps!