2024 Canadian Nationals Senior Men LP | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2024 Canadian Nationals Senior Men LP

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
National team : Wesley, Conrad, Aleksa
Next Gen : Anthony for sure.
Anthony is automatically on the National Team thanks to his medal :)

Stephen may have a high enough SB to get a non-host GP assignment and that could get him on the National Team if he's healthy. I'd rather see him take the rest of the season off and come back when he's not performing like he did last night.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Anthony is automatically on the National Team thanks to his medal :)

Stephen may have a high enough SB to get a non-host GP assignment and that could get him on the National Team if he's healthy. I'd rather see him take the rest of the season off and come back when he's not performing like he did last night.
yes.. those are the rules..but Skate Canada being Skate Canada ;)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Ouch. This was...tragic? I think that's the word for it. The guy with 2A, popped Lz and -5 penalty winning bronze tells the story.

Wadell is impressive with his skating skills. Paradis was too much for Mom, but I liked him, but if he plans on seniors, I think he might need to shed childish vibe. Atm, he reminds me of that 5th element character who offers Bruce Willis his rattle or whatever instead of the gun Willis wants...

Rakic held it together the best, but overall, it just was not a competitive group after seeing Euros. :(

Shteyngart was may favorite from all seniors and juniors in men

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I was sitting directly behind his coach and watched them add a new lace to his skate. I could not believe how quickly and calmly they did it.
I would trust Yvan with almost anything (I don't know him at all.. just my impressions of him with his athletes)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Anthony shows promise of being a star.
He already is and at 16 ! In terms of skating results, he is a Canadian national junior champion (3 years ago) and managed to win medals last year still in juniors and this year in seniors... He has the longest streak within active Canadian men.

All of this without even a triple axel.

Will he get the big jumps? Maybe not. Does it matter ? It depends what his own goals are. If he is pursuing what most athletes want, major titles and what not, he may be unhappy. However, I doubt that he is in this for the athletic accolades. I think he is fully invested in the performance side of the sport. I may be wrong but that's my perception anyway. Just with the costumes, I get the idea that he sees the performance as a whole. I have the impression that everything comes from his heart and soul, every move, every concept.

I see him in a long tradition of unique Canadian figure skaters who marked the sport in their own way... Gary Beacom, Toller Cranston, Shawn Sawyer, and more recently Elladj Baldé. All amazing performers with personal styles.

I wish him to achieve what he chooses to achieve, whatever it is. In the meantime, we get to enjoy his uniqueness while he is perfecting his craft. He is also surrounded by a wonderful team in Violaine Émard and Yvan Desjardins who are extremely supportive of him.

Let's see how things unfold now that he will be on the National team.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I'm so incredibly proud of and excited for Anthony! That was the best I've ever seen him skate, quite often his jumps are a little squirrelly but aside from the loop, he was incredibly clean and confident on everything. He had an injury a few years ago, I believe he broke his foot/ankle right after winning Junior Nats. Last season was a little rougher for him, I think due to the injury, but he looks squarely back on track. He handled the pressure of being in third place at his first senior Nats perfectly, skating to the best of his ability, and didn't let an equipment issue get him off track. I can't wait to see where he goes, he is an incredible skater with a good foundation and a very solid skating mind. He has all the ingredients, and I can't wait to see him put them all together. Even if he doesn't really get a solid 3A or to consistently compete internationally, he will still always be a joy to watch.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Just as chaotic and unpredictable as anywhere else in the world, the men's. But it was a joyful one for me. Some highlights (and 2 lowlights).
I felt Conrad had a bit of redemption here, not perfect but a good skate to watch.
The same applies to Roman (who is such a beautiful skater when he is on), but to a lesser degree in my view,
Whenever I watch Bruce I wish for the Solo Dance discipline to be more official and part of Championships. Showed some nice triples too.
Mikhail was a bit of a downer, but hopefully better next time.
Matthew too, to a lesser extent but still.
Anthony!!!!! What a professional in handling that equipment issue, and he's only 16. Incredible. Loved watching the programme. What do I care that he had no triple axel? And this boy is born with performance skills. Chills.
Aleksa did my favourite combination jump which you hardly ever see: the 3loop-3loop. Wow!
And Wesley? He hung on!
Thanks Ted and Kaetlyn for the comments and explanations, and thanks Skate Canada for making the championships available to watch again (and rewatch). I had a great afternoon!

Last edited: