2024 Canadian Nationals Senior Men LP | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2024 Canadian Nationals Senior Men LP

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
it's David Li .
Thanks.

I imagine Wesley is going to 4CC and two of Aleksa, Conrad, Stephen and Roman. Skate Canada seem to have been giving Roman opportunities over others this season. I'm not sure he's really earnt a spot, though...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thanks.

I imagine Wesley is going to 4CC and two of Aleksa, Conrad, Stephen and Roman. Skate Canada seem to have been giving Roman opportunities over others this season. I'm not sure he's really earnt a spot, though...
I don't think they should consider Roman and Stephen really. It would be unfair to Aleksa and Conrad. Both of them also did Challenge and have been monitored in a steadier manner lately.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks.

I mean, he did compete at the Olympics. So there's that.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, that's a wrap on Canadian nationals. It's usually one of my favorite events of the season.

Sadly, this didn't meet the standards of previous years, but these things can run in cycled... so next year maybe something different. Skate Canada has some work to do with their singles skaters. Hoping for better things at US Nats next week.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I did not enjoy this event!! Romsky didn’t come through here!! 😭
But, what I have noticed, is a change of the guard.
Like @4everchan mentioned, the athletes with the international exposure, came through…
Wes and Aleksa both went to JWC and thanks to them Canada has two spots for Junior Worlds.
These Juniors are improving!!

If I was Skate Canada, I would do:

4CC: Wesley, Aleksa, Conrad
SWC: Wesley, Stephen (none of them have a chance for top 12)
That way all 4 get international exposure; if Stephen is not ready, then the higher finisher of Aleksa/Conrad at 4CC goes to Senior Worlds)
JWC: Anthony (😍), Rio (the national winner is not good enough)
The judges will be wowed by Anthony’s artistry I hope

National Team: Stephen, Wesley, Conrad, Aleksa
(Roman off the National team and replaced by Aleksa 😭)

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did Anthony Paradis skate at the Skate Canada Challenge (I don't follow that event much, my apologies)? I would love to see a full video of a program like that skated to its full abilities.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I don't think they should consider Roman and Stephen really. It would be unfair to Aleksa and Conrad. Both of them also did Challenge and have been monitored in a steadier manner lately.
I agree, but I don't trust Skate Canada to view things the same way I do!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I did not enjoy this event!! Romsky didn’t come through here!! 😭
But, what I have noticed, is a change of the guard.
Like @4everchan mentioned, the athletes with the international exposure, came through…
Wes and Aleksa both went to JWC and thanks to them Canada has two spots for Junior Worlds.
These Juniors are improving!!

If I was Skate Canada, I would do:

4CC: Wesley, Aleksa, Conrad
SWC: Wesley, Stephen (none of them have a chance for top 12)
That way all 4 get international exposure; if Stephen is not ready, then the higher finisher of Aleksa/Conrad at 4CC goes to Senior Worlds)
JWC: Anthony (😍), Rio (the national winner is not good enough)
The judges will be wowed by Anthony’s artistry I hope

National Team: Stephen, Wesley, Conrad, Aleksa
(Roman off the National team and replaced by Aleksa 😭)

4CC Wesley, Aleksa, Conrad
SWC, Best finisher from 4CC. Then skate off between Roman, Stephen and the other two.
JWC Anthony, then if Wesley is not chosen for SWC, Wesley. If Wesley is chosen for SWC : then send Terry.

National team : Wesley, Conrad, Aleksa
Next Gen : Anthony for sure.

If Skate Canada feels generous, they can give Roman and Stephen a National team spot too.

With everything that unfolded : I am not really keen on getting gogo and roro anything for free.
I am also not keen on giving Aleksa that much. He is okay but not a champion.
Conrad : he had a bad event and nearly came back with a medal after popping his way through his SP. Too much pressure. I am sure they have seen his practices. They need to get him out there. Yes. I am biased... but he is my son LOL :)

Conrad remains the only skater able to land his two quads in the SP so far.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
4CC Wesley, Aleksa, Conrad
SWC, Best finisher from 4CC. Then skate off between Roman, Stephen and the other two.
JWC Anthony, then if Wesley is not chosen for SWC, Wesley. If Wesley is chosen for SWC : then send Terry.

National team : Wesley, Conrad, Aleksa
Next Gen : Anthony for sure.

If Skate Canada feels generous, they can give Roman and Stephen a National team spot too.

With everything that unfolded : I am not really keen on getting gogo and roro anything for free.
I am also not keen on giving Aleksa that much. He is okay but not a champion.
Conrad : he had a bad event and nearly came back with a medal after popping his way through his SP. Too much pressure. I am sure they have seen his practices. They need to get him out there. Yes. I am biased... but he is my son LOL :)

I think Roman is done! He had his chance at two Challenger events and Nationals…

Aleksa came 2nd to Conrad at Challenger and beat him here. So, he has moved past him due to this result. Wesley, sadly is the Canadian champion and Skate Canada’s new golden boy. Therefore, to me, he has both spots at 4CC and SWC (if he wants that spot).

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The pickings are slim at the moment. Conrad seems an obvious choice, especially since Anthony is ineligible... but I'd send your 3 picks to 4CC and the top 2 from those to Worlds.

Roman and Steven need time to heal and/or prepare. Leave them out of the discussion and let them regroup for next season. It's the sensible choice, and maybe it lights a fire in the belly.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The pickings are slim at the moment. Conrad seems an obvious choice, especially since Anthony is ineligible... but I'd send your 3 picks to 4CC and the top 2 from those to Worlds.

Roman and Steven need time to heal and/or prepare. Leave them out of the discussion and let them regroup for next season. It's the sensible choice, and maybe it lights a fire in the belly.
I am fine with that too. I was being generous with Roman and Stephen :) but they need the rest.

Roman hasn't built up his full jumping arsenal and Gogo is injured indeed.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Jokingly don't send anyone, fire Michael Slipchuk and use the money for up and comers. But that is mean and being sarcastic. I know all of them tried their best. For some reason I was struck other than maybe Roman all the men just stalk their jumps and other than Roman and Bruce Waddell are not great with skating skills. I really was disappointed in the quality of skating and I thought Weslety would be much further along at least in skating skills Good on them for trying quad though I guess. I guess you kind of have to send the National champ Wesley to worlds. I would let Aleksa and Conrad fight it out at 4cc's for the second world spot. Unfortunately Paradis doesn't have enough experience to really be worth the risk to send him to worlds. Unless he goes to 4ccs and blows everyone away. I think somehow they have to get Conrad to 4cc's to see how he is. i don't think Stephan is in the picture for anything. Nam is probably kicking himself saying why didn't I stay in competition. It is a bit concerning the top Canadian didnt' score over 160 at least in the fs. Again they tried their best - oh Keegan you are dearly missed.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think Roman is done! He had his chance at two Challenger events and Nationals…

Aleksa came 2nd to Conrad at Challenger and beat him here. So, he has moved past him due to this result. Wesley, sadly is the Canadian champion and Skate Canada’s new golden boy. Therefore, to me, he has both spots at 4CC and SWC (if he wants that spot).
I don't want to sound negative about Aleksa but if I loved his 3lo-3lo combo because it's exotic (not even worth that many points) I am not really crazy about his skating at all. It's slow and bland and at times, awkward.