Ladies FS - 2013 Rostelecom Cup | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Ladies FS - 2013 Rostelecom Cup

mateusp1

On the Ice
That's a listed deduction and you can only give -1 to -2 for those and really for -2 you'd need a few of those. Also transitions after the jump don't count towards GOE as there's no listed bonus for that unless you'd call it a creative exit. It would be a PCS thing.

I'm saying the only of those listed flaws she has is poor height.

Sorry. I misunderstood what you said.

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
I think I am the only one who doesn't get the "artistry" of Kostner's performances. She is good, but,well, not superb, especially today her performance technically and artistically mehh...

I have never gotten Kostner's "artistry". Ever. And I've been really trying these past couple of years as everyone keeps gushing over her and judges keep rewarding her. But I will say she was better than the other ladies competing today. Julia picked good music for her but she still leaves me so, so cold. I am still getting the feeling like I'm a creepy voyeur spying on a very private performance.

Anyways, I find is hilarious that the Ladies' threads are always so super long while the other disciplines are 5 or 6 pages. Only the Mens' threads get long and that's when Chan is competing. :laugh: Let's argue protocols some more because our opinions on them matter.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I was baffled as to why Julia beat kostner on Tes and then duh kostner almost totally left out combos! Weird. Lol now Julia won with a 3 triple fs! Lol.

Sara

On the Ice
Then I shall explain further for you:

Pigtails is a style of hair associated with being young, free, and happy. It requires multiple hair ties to achieve the look.

Therefore, for both of those reasons, nobody was ever wearing their hair like this after being taken by Nazis. Julia is skating to Schlinder's List, not Pippy Longstocking.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I know there the protocol. The TES score was just ridiculous. Let me explain why.

Julia's overscoring;

-Julia did not deserve level 4 for her step sequence. She got it and was gifted with huge GOE.

-Julia is a flutzer. None of her (F)Lutz got edge call in this competition. She got edge call in Skate Canada.

-Julia's first Lutz was underrotated. They gave it the full credit.

-Julia's first 2A was also underrotated. They gave it the full credit too.

-And high GOEs for tiny, low and average jumps(see 3F+2T, 2A+3T a 3Lo). Most of the jumps deserved 0. But, she got +1 on average.

Elizaveta's overscoring;

-First triple lutz was underrotated. Got full credit.

-Triple flip was underrorated. Got full credit.

Wow these are all wrong! The most wrong is Liza underrotating! No. Just doesn't exist with Liza.

Jumps can be small but perfect- Julias situation.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I just love this Russian kid! Julia has the perfect LP. The costume, the innocent gaze, it just brings tears to my eyes. I don't really care much about if the jumps are big enough or if her skating is not powerful enough. All of them seem to be part of the essential components to tell the story. I didn't even know her exist before N. Trophy this year. She just grabbed my attention at first sight. Her flexibility is surreal and she can do all those hard jumps and she commits to her choreography. Her little face is just perfect like an angel. I'm usually a skating skill person but her whole package is enough to move her up IMHO.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thank you for saying that...not so many moons ago, there was a time when she showed real emotion on the ice, a real joy to be out there.... I am very happy for her winning the bronze. I hope I get to see her smile at Nats....
No, not "always." Nagasu showed a lovely smile during her NHK FS.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Well, at least we now know which country has the most farcical home judging. Russia has USA, Canada, and Japan beaten by miles.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Watching Kanako's FS again, i would have her PCS higher than Carolina by 4-5 points tbh...

I would give Carolina 61 max and Kanako 65+. I will never understand how underrated she is.
Her interpretation etc should be 8.25-9 :sarcasm:

travelbug

Rinkside
So nice to see Mirai do well.

Couldn't believe the commentator in the SP going on and on (and on!) about her skating for Japan though. Even after he stopped and the other chimed in, when he started back he was back on it being for Japan (ironic since it seemed like he was the one he introduced her and was talking about being for the US initially! Guess the couple minutes of the short program distracted him! :-/)

Sad to see after her SP, though, how distracted she seemed by whatever she was doing with her finger.

It's funny because if you google her all the pictures on the right show her looking enthusiastic - that cute spunky, and unpredictable Mirai who you never knew what she'd say (like at the pre-Olympic interviews, etc. they all loved her candid replies and her energy) and even after a really respectable and nice presentation - both SP and LP - there wasn't that same enthusiasm.

At least at the end of the LP she looked semi-pleased with her performance. So odd how distant and detached she and her coach seemed w/ one another as she exited the ice and especially in the K&C, especially after the LP, which both really should have been pleased with! It was like they'd hardly ever seen one another before. Struck me as very odd.

Just made me sad to see Mirai do so well and yet see so expressionless through so much - both skating and after her skates. Even when we've seen her totally botch things in the past, or not be out of the running (which was NOT where she was coming into the LP - and when she was skating well through it, obviously) in years past she's seemed far more "into" things than she was this weekend, which made me sad.

I hope she regains some of her love of life (and skating) that just seemed to ooze out of her in the past - because I think that alone would help boost some of her scores!

Her dresses were both nice. The back of her SP dress was quite nice, especially compared to many. And I really thought her LP dress was very nice on her.

Getting that smile back, even if she's no longer the young, spritely, enthusiastic, carefree, full of sound-bites for the press girl she had been 4-ish seasons ago (especially) would help tie some of the Mirai people loved all back together with skates like this! :)

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
So nice to see Mirai do well.
Sad to see after her SP, though, how distracted she seemed by whatever she was doing with her finger.

She had a cut.
She was putting a bandage on it. You can't see in Low Quality video.

At least at the end of the LP she looked semi-pleased with her performance. So odd how distant and detached she and her coach seemed w/ one another as she exited the ice and especially in the K&C, especially after the LP, which both really should have been pleased with! It was like they'd hardly ever seen one another before. Struck me as very odd.

Same after the SP. It's weird...

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Shayuki said:
Um really? o_O I still have my money on Japan.

Yeah, that was very evident when Oda got a phantom call at his 4T at the NHK SP, while Gachinski here received a PCS PB with 2 falls. Good job, Japan! :thumbsup:
(this is supposed to be ironic, btw...)

travelbug

Rinkside
She had a cut.
She was putting a bandage on it. You can't see in Low Quality video.

Same after the SP. It's weird...

Thank you! I wondered if she had something wrong with the finger and maybe a nude-ish coloured bandage, but you're right, couldn't see clearly on the feed. Thanks for filling me in :)

That coach thing really was odd. After the SP I wondered if it was Mirai's apparent preoccupation w/ her finger vs. even really seeming to realize that she'd skated her program so well and that her coach wasn't sure how to engage her. But then the blank reaction to her SP score (and only a comment about "Good, Mirai" - that on the feed I wasn't even sure if it came from her coach or someone off camera in the K&C - hoping to see it on TV tomorrow when it airs to see better - and beyond where it cut off/away so quickly on the feed I saw!)

But after her really good LP performance and they still acted that way it was almost unavoidable in terms of the disconnect between the two.

With Ashley who doesn't have Nicks travelling with her now (though I can't imagine he'd skip the Olympics, at least?! Surely not...even if he's not really traveling much now?) and had a slightly strange interaction w/ that other coach in the K&C last week (moreso after the SP than the LP) where it was almost like just disecting the program and not appreciating her results...and that not being her real coach - or back up coach, you'd expect it maybe a bit more.

But with Mirai, that IS her "real" coach (maybe primary coach is a better word). Maybe she needs sort of fatherly FC to go w/ her to competitions too!

I guess the whole thing was so striking to me given that it's been quite awhile since Mirai's had such good SP and LP's in the same event - so the lack of enjoyment on it, by her or her coach was just kind of sad.