Ladies LP | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I think your assertion is quite amateurish. Of course she knows she has to skate faster, but can she? of course she wants better jump technique, but can she still rotate and land a 3flip/3lutz without that mule kicking? It's crazy to believe coaches can somehow pull a magic trick and turn everybody into a 100-metre world champ.

But that's the thing, Caroline can do better. Some of you may have seen this before, but one of the posters over at Unseen Skaters, AMAubert, posted reports and pictures from Golden West on his/her website. From the reports, it sounded like Caroline skated like lightning. What could have happened in 2 months? :scratch:

http://www.catslair.com/skating/2008/GW/

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
But didn't he choreagraph a lot of programs last year for other skaters? But I do remember Joannie's interview from last year where she said non-Canadian skaters were "monopolizing" Wilson. In fact, I can't think of any international level Canadian skater other than Cynthia who works with Wilson.

he worked with Jeff Buttle.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
But that's the thing, Caroline can do better. Some of you may have seen this before, but one of the posters over at Unseen Skaters, AMAubert, posted reports and pictures from Golden West on his/her website. From the reports, it sounded like Caroline skated like lightning. What could have happened in 2 months? :scratch:

Well, she could have skated like lightening, or it could be a bit exaggeration of fans. Her jumps almost looked 'normal' by the end of last season albeit still with a high kick. It could be with added pressure at Skate Canada, she kicked and twisted her body so hard to get the rotations and made her technique much worse than in practice. I think if her technique even stays the same as at the end of last season, she will be just fine to land those jumps. However, at Skate Canada, her kick was truly scary.

Caroline Zhang's speed is a big problem, and it won't magically improve overnight.

oleada

Record Breaker

It's also one thing to judge her speed in comparison to skaters at a club competition (without any offense intended) to skaters at a Grand Prix event. Additionally, I read another report that said her technique hadn't changed at all and had only gotten worse.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Yikes! Then who's this foreign skater coughyunacough monopolizing Wilson? But I can easily guess Yu-Na might be Wilson's priority since they skate at Cricket.

Yeah, that comment from Joannie back then was uncalled for. Wilson doesn't owe her anything just because she's Canadian. He runs a freakin business (he and Orser are in partnership together I believe) and Yu-na skates at his rink. (I.E he gets a lot more money than he would get from Joannie who trains elsewhere)

However maybe it was just a translation thing since English isn't her first language.

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker

Caroline said she twisted her ankle and had tendonitis after GW, so she was not ready for SC stamina-wise. :cry: She's hoping that she'll do better at TEB.

(And yes, she was wonderful at GoldenWest. I'm kicking myself for the hundredth time that I didn't tape either performance! But at least I got a nice photo with her after the LP, and she had this beautiful razzmatazz dress that was very sparkly and pretty. I don't know how that got replaced with this dull yellow one at SC!)

So, perhaps it wasn't a case of nerves, but rather the injuries and loss of confidence due to time off ice that threw her off at SC. People who went to the practices all said she stood out as doing really well, but skaters tend to falter in major competitions when they hadn't been training enough. :no:

Anyway, this may explain why Caroline didn't have that "spark" or crack a single smile the competition, and she didn't look like she had high expectations even before she started. She was probably skating in physical and mental discomfort. I really hope that she comes back strong in Paris! :rock:

Go Caroline! :love::love::love:

Last edited:

singerskates

On the Ice
She was seriously buoyed by her home crowd, though. And you don't want to peak early.

Believe me, Joannie has not peaked. She received 124+ COP marks with tiny mistakes and with room for improvement. So the mark you saw her get, isn't the highest potential mark that she can get. Joannie is only going to get better as she nears 2009 ISU Worlds.

singerskates

On the Ice
Now, I really like Joannie, but I would wait until she can skate similar programs outside of Canada. Skate Canada scoring usually is very generous toward the Canadian skaters, and has been throughout the years.

Actually if you'd go back to a time when you could see how each judge voted for each skater, you'd notice that the Canadian on the judges' panel always marked the Canadian skaters much harder than the rest of the countries. Canadian skating judges are not biased. Joannie was not given free marks.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Actually if you'd go back to a time when you could see how each judge voted for each skater, you'd notice that the Canadian on the judges' panel always marked the Canadian skaters much harder than the rest of the countries. Canadian skating judges are not biased. Joannie was not given free marks.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
You mean the opposition right?
I seem to remember the Candian Judges giving B/S much, much, much harder marks than the rest of the judges at the Olympics, and there are plenty of cases like that.

Frankly? It ticks me off when one country likes to argue that they don't play the game...

Last edited:

singerskates

On the Ice
I prefer Joannie's LP from last year quite a bit more.

Also, she should train the 3T-3T. She has been able to do that combo before and it's worth more points than the 3T + 3S sequence. It can also be used in the SP and would be better for her than the 3F-3T considering how completely unreliable she is with that element.

I'd also suggest that she switch the placement of the 2A + 2A sequence in her LP with the 3Lo. She's never able to pull off that element either and I think it's because she always tries it so late in her programs.

I disagree on what should be changed. Change the 3T+3S sequence ((4+4) x .80 sequence x 1.1 = 7.48). If Joannie just reverses the order to 3S/3T, she pickes up 20% more value for her effort ((4+4) x 1.1 = 8.80, 8.80 - 7.48 = 1.32)

As for the planned 2A + 2A (3.5 x 2 x 1.1 = 6.6) sequence, if it's changed to 2A/3L (base mark worth 8.5 X 1.1 because it's passed the half way point making it worth 9.35) Joannie could see an increase of 2.75 just for this jumping pass alone. Joannie actually did 2A + 1A = 3.5 x 0.8 = 4.3 base mark in her program even though she ment to do both 2As. So the real difference would be 5.05. Or Jo could do 2A/3T worth 7.5 x 1.1 = 8.25 with a difference of 1.65 from her planned content but the difference from what she actually did is 3.75.

With these changes, Joannie would increase her freeskate points from 124.15 to either (1.32 + 3.75= 4.87, 124.15 + 4.87) 129.02 or (1.32 + 5.05= 6.37, 124.15 + 6.37) 130.51

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker

But the audience effect would be there that may have influenced judges in general. The Canadian audience are very enthusiastic. I think that they truly appreciate and cheer for any good skaters regardless of nationalities. But it is also very natural for them to passionately cheer for Candian skaters. Canadian skaters would have a lot of local supporters who came to the competition specifically for them.

singerskates

On the Ice
I wish she'd do a 2Axel+2loop instead or a 2Axel+3toe.

Her layout could be:

3Lutz+2toe+2loop
3flip
3loop
*3Lutz
*3Salchow+2loop
*2Axel+3toe
*3Salchow

I know you're trying to show combination jumps but what you really put up were jump sequences. To show jump combinations, you type out jump/jump. jump+jump is a jump sequence which is worth 20% less than a jump combination.