Ladies SP | Golden Skate

Ladies SP

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
:rock: Happy dancin' for Joannie! :rock: I cannot wait to see the showdown between her and Cynthia at Canadians.

shine

Record Breaker
Looks like the girl is on a mission this year. This totally rocks! Hope she keeps it together in the long!!!! :rock:

ETA: according to FSU, Rochette didn't even land the lutz!

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Sk8n...

Are you talking about Julia? The only person in the top five who had an "official" deduction was Amber who is in 4th. When I commented "what happened to Julia" I'm just wondering what really happened in her skate since she is in 5th and I was sort of thinking she had potential to go a bit higher. Maybe she was good and everyone else was spectacular. Just wondering.

(and of course, making rude costume comments along the way...I admit that!)

DG

Last edited:

chania36

On the Ice
This is so great for us in CAnada to have two strong women to represent us and maybe if they do place well at the 2005 Worlds, we may have 2 spots for the Olympics, I dont know if the magic number of 13 does work still.

After watching the usual suspects at Dortmund last year, I posted a note in the results to watch two skaters for next year: Susanna Poykio, and Joannie Rochette. Not surprised about Susanna's first in SA's LP, and am hoping for a similar LP in Paris for Joannie. Go Girl you got it.

Joe

hongligl

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
After watching the usual suspects at Dortmund last year, I posted a note in the results to watch two skaters for next year: Susanna Poykio, and Joannie Rochette. Not surprised about Susanna's first in SA's LP, and am hoping for a similar LP in Paris for Joannie. Go Girl you got it.

Joe

Yes, you got excellent picks. I love them both!
Go Joannie!!!

rain

Record Breaker
I'm cheering for Joannie! It's awesome that we finally have a couple of great ladies to cheer for in Canada - it's been a long time. Great start! I'm crossing my fingers that Joannie, Sandhu and Langlois/Archetto can make it to the final!

shine

Record Breaker
Sk8n Mama said:
????Her deductions show as 0 on the results site.????
It was not an "official" fall. For a fall to be deducted, both feet would have to leave the ice. I think Joannie just flipped out or touched down on the lutz.

Also according to stef on FSU, Kostner touched down on the first jump of her 3toe/3toe combo, but landed the second perfectly.

Antilles

Medalist
Very happy for Rochette, and pleasantly surprised by Kostner. At her earlier event, she could hardly do any triples due to her back injury. Looks like she is rebouding nicely. Hopefully Joannie holds it together for the long.

shine

Record Breaker
I don't know about "Kostner rebounding nicely". At Skate Canada she did skate a decent SP landing the 3toe/3toe which she didn't this time...

Eeyora

Final Flight
All I can say is WOW!!!

This is turning into the most unpredictable season ever.

I can't believe how Fumie is struggling.

herios

Medalist
Joesitz said:

Joe

You are right Joe. As far as Joannie, she put herself on the map last year in Dortmund, with the 8th place finish, establishing herself as a top 10 skater in the World.
Now, she is up against nr. 5, 6 and 7 ( Kostner, Sebestyen and Suguri), and she might beat all 3 of them, that says clearly, she could be a top 6 skater this year.
The only thing holding her back the last 2 seasons, was her 3 lutz. She didn't have the right technique and they decided (her coaches), while she was already 16, to rework the technique. It took 2 years to get her 3 lutz back and basically she landed it 3 times in Dortmund, that was a "put it together when it counts" type of accomplishment. She is a tough competitor, so that aspect will take her far.
Her other jumps are very high, that will allow her to have 3/3 combos - already in this season, she tries the 3 toe / 3 toe.

I can see good things for her, in the future. She didn't burst on the scene, but she keeps improving each and every year. At 18, I think she got a lot to go....

Last edited:

alain707

Rinkside
What happened to Julia Sebestyen ?

I can't find any report of the Ladies' short yet. I am disappointed by Julia's very average placement in the short (5th). Looking at the result sheet it appeared that her technical score is bad (22pts vs 30 for J.Rochette) whereas her component score is in the leading pack (all 5 top finishers are within 2 points in that area). So something must have gone wrong, probably 1-2 major mistakes on her jumps. Who knows what ?