Mao Asada withdraws from Four Continents | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada withdraws from Four Continents

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I wonder who is the favorite in Japan? For me the four ladies are in this order Mao, Satoko, kanaka and Rika who I don't really enjoy as she needs so much more work on the Pcs skills but she is very high energy. I didn't see any of Japanese Nationals so I'm wondering who are the other up Nd comers. Mao has so much competition. It is good she can rest. And Kanako I hope skates well at 4cc. I must go look at the entrants page.

I mostly am just excited for Us nationals It's almost here⛸

Barb

Record Breaker
i am worried, Mao dont leave a comp only to rest or prepare. And if she needed rest why she did shows?

LRK

Record Breaker
Well, shows and competition are completely different things, and demand completely different levels in jumps &c - and I'm sure she's still training.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
I'm very happy for Kanako ! and I'm glad Mao is thinking properly about her health, wish the best for both.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
i am worried, Mao dont leave a comp only to rest or prepare. And if she needed rest why she did shows?

I think shows are a good way for skaters for get used to performing in front of the audience again, also her most recent show (and only show after Nationals) was the NHK Special Exhibition where lots of big names were there to raise money for the Tohoku Earthquake relief, she attepted a 3A that day and probably kind of gauged how her own condition is.

Tallorder

On the Ice
Not questioning her decision given she doesn't need the points. Having the event in Taipei (Asia) as opposed to say North America, would make it a less demanding travel schedule. Overall though, I'm sure the ability to truly design her training to aim for a peak performance at Worlds, makes tremendous sense.

Will be glad to see Kanako have another opportunity to compete.

Barb

Record Breaker
I think shows are a good way for skaters for get used to performing in front of the audience again, also her most recent show (and only show after Nationals) was the NHK Special Exhibition where lots of big names were there to raise money for the Tohoku Earthquake relief, she attepted a 3A that day and probably kind of gauged how her own condition is.

I don´t mind if this is a good or bad decision, I am just worried this maybe is something else, of course it is great if she is fine and only needs more time, but it is not usual from her. When Sara and Adria had that disput in their last competition I said it was not normal and everyone said it was nothing and days after that, they announced the split. Anyway I will try stay positive like everyone :cheer:

Mishia

Spectator
I support Mao's decision. She knows herself better than any other people. If she thinks withdraw from the four continents is a good idea for her, then it is best decision.

KweenAsada

On the Ice
Good call, Mao. You don't need to over do it. Worlds is yours for the taking, all you have to do is HIT!!!

Franklin99

Medalist
I don´t mind if this is a good or bad decision, I am just worried this maybe is something else, of course it is great if she is fine and only needs more time, but it is not usual from her. When Sara and Adria had that disput in their last competition I said it was not normal and everyone said it was nothing and days after that, they announced the split. Anyway I will try stay positive like everyone :cheer:

But so is taking a year off from competition, and suffering a stomach flu while competing is not usual for Mao. She's adjusting herself according to the new changes and challenges she's experiencing this season.

iamchrislao

On the Ice
it's mental for her. really. I think she needs her "Yuna Kim," in the same way Irina Slutskaya needed her Michelle Kwan as motivator. I think Michelle's absence in Torino affected Slutskaya, her competitive fire. The same, can be said about Mao right now. She seems lost, floating, coasting along...She needs something or someone to light up her competitive spirit once more.

gotoschool

Medalist
it's mental for her. really. I think she needs her "Yuna Kim," in the same way Irina Slutskaya needed her Michelle Kwan as motivator. I think Michelle's absence in Torino affected Slutskaya, her competitive fire. The same, can be said about Mao right now. She seems lost, floating, coasting along...She needs something or someone to light up her competitive spirit once more.

Mao was ill likely with the flu for 3 out of 4 performances accounting for all of the NHK and 2/3 of the Grand Prix Final, which happened to be at the busiest point in the season after taking a year off and then didn't have enough time to recover fully mentally and physically before Nationals. Mao's sister, Mai, even said on television that there were days before Nationals she could not practice because of her illness and that this was one of the reasons Mao considered retiring, so three competitions in a row were seriously affected. I think Mao needs time to recover and train away from the constant strain of upcoming competitions while recovering and enduring these health issues which put a lot of stress on her mentally as well. Since Yuna Kim retired, Mao probably gave her greatest overall SP and LP combined performance at Worlds 2014, along with 2010 Worlds, and her best SP with Nocturne in my opinion (and my favorite one ever). Then, at her first two competitions this season she gave magnificent performances of Madame Butterfly at the Japan Open and her SP at the Cup of China, both events which she won.

Yes, Mao has not landed her jumps in competition as well as she has in warmup since her illnesses and I know this has frustrated her, so I hope she can relax easier once her heath recovers and land them as well in competition. But, I find it interesting that two of my friends who were unfamiliar with any of the skaters both liked Mao's National LP performance better than any other women skaters I showed them even with the mistakes, including Satoko and Evgenia because they liked Mao's artistry, dancing ability, gracefulness and smooth skating better. Many people look for a range of qualities in skating and are not focused primarily on every jump being landed. Besides, Mao did fight after missing her triple axel and the triple loop at Nationals. She came back with the best triple lutz she has probably ever done and one of her best ever 3F / 2L / 2L combos and a highly inspired conclusion. In addition, Mao's performance of the new Jupiter is one of the most deeply moving performances I have ever seen.

I wish Mao had learned to say no sooner at the NHK and in the Grand Prix Final LP, but I am glad that she is saying no to the 4CC's for the sake of her physical and mental well being.

Last edited:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Maybe Mao should sit out the majority of the next season too. She normally does well in her first competition in the season when she has most of the energy. So if she decides to compete in the next Olympics (assuming she will stay among the top 3 in Japan), she should select just one or two competitions, just enough to quality. But if Rika and another junior lady are ahead of her in addition to Satoko repeatedly, Mao has to compete as much as possible just to be on the Olympic team. As much as I love Mao (I started to pay attention to figure skating because of Mao), I am not very optimistic about her results in future competitions.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Hope Mao feels better soon! Although I'm sooo glad to see Kanako (2014 4CC champ!) compete. She's had lovely programs this season, and decided to stay in it, so I'm glad she gets to still compete. :)

OniBan

Final Flight
a bit sad I won't get to see Mao (I want to see her skate in person at least once in my life!!) but at the same time am sooo happy Kana-chan will be there!
She's such an adorable dork and I hope she'll perform well in 4CC :hap10: