MENS LP and the Results | Page 30 | Golden Skate

MENS LP and the Results

figuristka

Medalist
Alexandr KAZAKOV of blr was only 43rd last year at Worlds, and 30th at Europeans this year and places 19th overall this year, nice to see those lower ranked skaters climbing up.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yeah for Dice-K. And way to try for the quad flip! And then giving us the SOHL afterwards. I mean you could tell people were ready to give him a standing-o like a minute before he finished!

I'm definitely not a P-Chiddy hater, but I do think he was overmarked, though the placement is probably about right (though you can make a case for Joubert and the 2-quads. Either way I don't dispute either of them being on the podium). There's no doubt that he has the really nice skating skills and artistry, but he clearly did not have the best technical ability here. I mean if posters going to ding skaters for not having artistry, I think it's reasonable for posters to question Chan's technical ability.

I think Abbott was scored appropriately. He was several points below his SB at GPF 2009, when he skated a clean program. Rippon needs polish, but props for a clean program. So yeah 5-6 for those two is fair. Plus 3 spots for the U.S.!

Also...how awesome was Adrien? I remember nothing thinking much of him at the GP circuit, but he's really converted me with his great performances at the Olympics and here. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I just look at the ISU season's best in total scores and Dice-K's performance here at Worlds is No. 1!

Simoncat

Rinkside
I have a feeling Chan got no respect among his peers. He's just immature and inferior in terms of technical ability. I can't imagine any world class skater believes Chan deserves those scores.
Patrick Chan is not an inferior skater. Yes,if Jeremy Abbott had skated as he did in US Nationals,the result would have been different. He is the only one who could challenge Chan on his strengths,with Adam Rppon hard on his heels. Brezina is grand technically,but leaves me cold on performance. They are all full of themselves,they have to be to put themselves on the line every time they skate. The difference being that many are stepped on very young by experience coaches especially with regard to competition behaviour,behaviour on practice ice at home,and especially with the press. Patrick used to be. It also helps when they have someone nipping at their heels at home. In all,the right man won with marvelous skating and unmatched performance sophistication.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Oh Evan sent some love to Daisuke on his FB:

THIS is why I love Evan. He's such a sweet person. That title isn't his anymore, but he's so nice to the guy who got it. Somehow, I don't see others *cough cough Plushenko cough cough* doing this.

Ren

On the Ice
I am curious. Has the quad flip been landed successfully in competition before by any men's skater?

Moxie

On the Ice
THIS is why I love Evan. He's such a sweet person. That title isn't his anymore, but he's so nice to the guy who got it. Somehow, I don't see others *cough cough Plushenko cough cough* doing this.

Meh, he wasn't so nice to Jeremy at Nats.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I am curious. Has the quad flip been landed successfully in competition before by any men's skater?

The answer would be no. And not to take away from Dice-K, but he got a downgrade on it, so that feat has yet to be completed. But I bet Dice-K will have it by next season. How sweet would that be? On home ice at Worlds 2011?!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Meh, he wasn't so nice to Jeremy at Nats.

It's a whole lot easier to give props to someone you beat for the OGM. :) But yes, that was really nice of Evan to give Dice-K props, regardless.

skfan

Final Flight
really happy for daisuke. wish he had this skate at olys, but just happy every time i see him skate.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I think all of the skaters love and respect Daisuke. Daisuke as a skater is what every other skater wishes they could be: The real complete package... Didn't Paul Wylie say that Oleg Vasiliev was crying when he saw Daisuke finally win Worlds. That's just telling.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't suppose Evan congratulated Chan as well....

Evan at Nationals was rude to both Weir and Abbott, and to the audience as well. While Abbott, Weir and Bradley stayed after the medal ceremony to sign autographs and greet the fans, Lysacek stalked off the ice as soon as the ceremony was over without signing a single autograph.

Sure, it's easy to be gracious when you're the winner. But a TRUE champion is gracious whether winning OR losing.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Incredibly happy for Dai! Even if underrotated, I'm glad he went for the second most difficult jump ever attempted in competition. I feared so many ppl would go berserk if the men's champion didn't attempt any quad. I just realized my newfound love for Dai has to do with Morozov, or lack of it. I used to far prefer Oda when he was with Lee Barkell and Dai was with Morozov. Even Cyber Swan which everyone loved left me cold for some reason. But now that Dai's on his own, he has far more pronounced identity on the ice. Dare I say the most deserving champion since Lambiel in 06?

Moxie

On the Ice
It's a whole lot easier to give props to someone you beat for the OGM. :) But yes, that was really nice of Evan to give Dice-K props, regardless.

Well, yes, that is my point. Plushenko also complimented Joubert - after he beat him at Europeans.
Evan is sweet, but he's not that sweet. :p

Ren

On the Ice
The answer would be no. And not to take away from Dice-K, but he got a downgrade on it, so that feat has yet to be completed. But I bet Dice-K will have it by next season. How sweet would that be? On home ice at Worlds 2011?!

Thanks! I'm sure Dai will work on the quad flip during the off-season. I really hope to see him defend his title successfully at Tokyo next year. I bet the Japanese would just go bananas if that happens. :)

yangjie

On the Ice
Thanks! I'm sure Dai will work on the quad flip during the off-season. I really hope to see him defend his title successfully at Tokyo next year. I bet the Japanese would just go bananas if that happens. :)

actually,in japan we are really happy right now for dai's win, but we are discussing patrick's high score and the future of quads....

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
actually,in japan we are really happy right now for dai's win, but we are discussing patrick's high score and the future of quads....

The entire country of Japan is discussing Patrick Chan and the future of quads? Boy...Chan just gets so much attention ;)
OK, I kid. But I am curious about what kind of discussions you are having.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Evan at Nationals was rude to both Weir and Abbott, and to the audience as well. While Abbott, Weir and Bradley stayed after the medal ceremony to sign autographs and greet the fans, Lysacek stalked off the ice as soon as the ceremony was over without signing a single autograph.

Sure, it's easy to be gracious when you're the winner. But a TRUE champion is gracious whether winning OR losing.

EXACTLY! :agree:

He and Frank also very publicly complained about the judges' scores whining that he should have received 9s in PCS for two very flawed and uninspired programs. He also tried to downplay Jeremy's accomplishment by saying that if he wanted to win the US title, he would have. Basically he said he "let" Jeremy win. :rolleye: What an ego and a phony! :disapp:

Last edited:

Ren

On the Ice
Oh, I meant even MORE bananas than you probably are right now--and I mean bananas in a good way. :) So I'll amend my statement and say that if Dai wins next year:love:, it will probably be like a banana split with a cherry on top. :biggrin::rock::clap: