Ronald Reagan has died | Golden Skate

Ronald Reagan has died

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Prayers and kind thoughts to his family. He was very blessed to have had a wife as devoted as Nancy.

Antilles

Medalist
I was actually glad to hear it. His quality of life these past few years must have been awful. I would never want to have Alzheimer's. May he rest in peace.

You make an excellent point, Antilles. I was kind of thinking the same thing.....sad to know he's gone, but I don't think his quality of life was very good these past few years.

bronxgirl

Medalist
The family of Altzheimer patients suffer more than the patient. I'm sure he always had the finest of care nd his family didn't have to work two jobs to make sure that he was in a good nursing home. May he rest in Peace.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
That is a very good point, Antilles. My Grandmother has Alzheimers and she is generally in a very pleasant mood. My poor Grandfather has about reached his limit both physically and mentally. He can't continue caring for her much longer. It is such a terrible situation. I can only imagine what it must have been like for poor Nancy. Sure, she had many people to take care of her husband, but even when he was President she was always the one to make sure everything was as it needed to be for him. I hope she can live out the rest of her years in peace knowing that she did her absolute best and loved and cared for him until the very end.

Kasey

Medalist
I first thought, wow, to make it to 93 is pretty impressive. Then I realized, due to the Alzheimers, his mind probably only made it to 87 or 88. Poor Nancy and family. I was young when he was president, and looking back, of course don't agree with everything he did. But he may be the best one we've had since I've been around.

Kasey

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Kasey:

I thought Nancy's most poignant moment was when she spoke of their upcoming 5oth wedding anniversary: She caught herself saying to Ronnie "Remember when...?"

guinevere

Final Flight
Kasey said:
...looking back, of course don't agree with everything he did. But he may be the best one we've had since I've been around.
I find it really scary that this is a common sentiment!

guinevere

jesslily

Final Flight
I agree with this totally. I also feel he is the only president I have seen(in pictures and TV) who has the christma!!!

skatepixie

On the Ice
Ladskater said:
Kasey:

I thought Nancy's most poignant moment was when she spoke of their upcoming 5oth wedding anniversary: She caught herself saying to Ronnie "Remember when...?"

:cry:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
While I do not consider Reagan to have been an overall beneficial president of this country, I do have great respect for him. Whether or not what he did was right, he always did what he thought was best. His personality as a leader was indeed amazing.

One thing I found very poingnant was Nancy's appeal for stem cell research. Too bad nobody in the party would listen...

Antilles

Medalist
Guinivere,

While I am not conservative leaning, and was never a fan of Reagan, I can see why people would think he's the best in recent decades. One, there is a lot of sentimentality right now. Two, look at his competition. They all had many problems...

The current Bush is dogged by the controversy of Iraq, and his poor relations with many traditional allies. Clinton was dogged by personal controversies, and some big political flops (ie his health care plan in term 1). Bush senior was lauded for the Gulf War, but was blamed for the poor US economy, and branded a liar for his "read my lips" campaign promise.

Carter was unpopular, even with Democrats. He also suffered fom economic and inflation problems, as well as the US hostage situation. Ford wasn't around long enough to do anything. (He has the dubious distinction of being the only man to hold the offices of Vice President and President, while never being elected to either post.) Nixon had to resign in disgrace over Watergate, and Johnson was saddled with Vietnam.

These things tend to make Reagan look better. He was tainted with Iran contra, but people remember him for his handling of the Cold War, Grenada,a nd an assasination attempt. Reaganomics hurt a lot of people, but that seems to be overshadowed by his record and charisma.

Ptchika, I'm also happy Nancy is pushing for stem cell research. I wish more people wouldn't wait until they are directly affected by a problem to do something about it, though.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Antilles said:

Ptchika, I'm also happy Nancy is pushing for stem cell research. I wish more people wouldn't wait until they are directly affected by a problem to do something about it, though.

Sadly, it takes something like this to hit home to to many politicians and families before they wake up and realize that the potential of stem cell research may never be realized as long as the US government refuses to fund stem cell research. :\

skatepixie

On the Ice
They should use adult stem cells and cord blood...that would settle debate...

Anyways...I thought the services were very well done. I was a little schocked when that cell phone went off, though,

bronxgirl

Medalist
skatepixie said:
They should use adult stem cells and cord blood...that would settle debate...

Sadly, skatepixie, it won't. Adult stem cells and embryonic stem cells may not have the same properties. The only way to know for sure which cellls might be best for which condition is through research.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Did anyone catch CNBC's coverage where they were showing the State Funeral service and kind of superimposed on the screen was Chris Matthews and cohort eating and wiping their mouths?

How did you feel about the applause for Nancy Reagan as they were beginning the journey to the Capitol? I was shocked to hear applause at a funeral even if it was meant as a show of support. I wonder why the Reagan children were not at Nancy's side at all times?