Ronald Reagan has died | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ronald Reagan has died

dfj

On the Ice
bronxgirl said:
Sadly, it takes something like this to hit home to to many politicians and families before they wake up and realize that the potential of stem cell research may never be realized as long as the US government refuses to fund stem cell research. :\

CNN reported yesterday that Laura Bush came out and said that the administration's position on stem cell research will not change, even taking into account the recent circumstances of Pres. Reagan's illness.

God, I hope all you good U.S. citizens have the brains to get rid of that guy in the WH.

skatepixie

On the Ice
Well, Laura's dad died of the same thing. So, if they feel the same way after that, then this wont change it.

Also, Laura said that there *are* stem cells that can be used...including the adult kind as well as embryos.

bronxgirl

Medalist
skatepixie said:
Well, Laura's dad died of the same thing. So, if they feel the same way after that, then this wont change it.

Also, Laura said that there *are* stem cells that can be used...including the adult kind as well as embryos.

Laura Bush is a librarian by training, not a scientist. And as First Lady, she's never openly taken a position opposed to her husband.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I realize that the wait is long and it is hot and humid outside, but IMO it is not appropriate to wear clothing as casual as some of the people filing past the coffin have on. It's the president lying in state not a trip to Disney World!

:\ :rolleye: :\ :confused:

OTOH I think the changing of the guard routine is creepy.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I'm glad to hear you say that about their clothing, Piel. I figured I must be wrong to think that they should have shown a little more respect.

Guess I'm probably the only one that thinks I am so tired of having all that stuff on tv all day every day. I am so tired of it. Of course, I never was a big Reagan fan anyway. It wasn't long after he was elected that I was sorry I voted for him. I do think he was a very personable and likeable guy just not a very good president.

You know, when you're young and scraping to make ends meet you always know things will get better. It was not long after he was president it came to me that that was as good as it was going to get. Actually, it was depressing.

I hadn't said anything as I figured I was being disrepectable and everyone else probably disagreed with me. I really don't like getting flack. I decided what the heck.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
What is considered appropriate dress has become more casual over the years. When I was in college in the early 70's I would wear jeans to mass when attending with friends. As an adult though I would never do that. I have never gone to a funeral home or funeral in anything but a dress or suit with skirt and NEVER with bare legs. My feeling is you are going to pay respect and a little effort or discomfort is nothing compared to what has happened to the deceased! I'm sure what's considered appropriate varies from community to community.

As for what I think about Reagan's politics, I'll just say that I am a liberal Democrat, and that IMO Reagan opened the door for the Bush's and it has been downhill since except for the eight bright years of the Clinton administration....who I would gladly reelect.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Well, I went to a funeral yesterday and wore a pantsuit. I hardly ever wear a dress. I think nice dressy pants and tops are ok.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Grgranny A lot of times pants look better than skirts on some ladies and certainly are more practical. Other than my college years I have always been more of a dress person. The funny thing is that my Grandmother who instilled the dresses only for church, funerals, and weddings mentality in us would wear only pantsuits for those occasions from about age 75 until she died at the age of 84. Her reason was that she thought everyone was lookig at her varicose veins (that were barely visible) and she didn't want to be a distraction, LOL!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: How's that for ego?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I haven't worn a dress in nearly 6 years. I develop severe skin rashes due to the chemicals that are found in certain fabrics and leathers. The rash looks rather like a burn and has totally perplexed several dermatologists. It's just easier for me to cover up so I have several dressy pants outfits and a tailored outfit for funeral services and other somber occassions...........42

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I'll admit that I hate to do the pantyhose dance to wear a dress!

skatepixie

On the Ice
I usually wear a black dress and jacket. I sometimes wear hose, but rarely, because people tend to think I have hose on when I dont for some reason. So many people have asked "Why do you wear pantyhose to school?" and then Ill be like "I dont...."

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I was surprised I would get emotional during his services this morning. Say what you would, he was pretty much honest and caring. And don't we all wish we could have had a marriage as good as theirs? Won't it be great when we get to heaven and won't lose anyone any more? :love:

skatepixie

On the Ice
I got emotional, but I expected to. I wasnt expecting to cry at Thatcher's speech, but that was what got me the worst. And when ever they started talking about the "shining city on the hill"...

Johar

Medalist
What a sad, emotional event to watch. I will truly miss him. I got chills watching the horse-drawn caisson and Sgt. York, the riderless horse. I'm sure Reagan, a horse lover, was smiling down on them.

Last edited:

guinevere

Final Flight
Piel said:
I realize that the wait is long and it is hot and humid outside, but IMO it is not appropriate to wear clothing as casual as some of the people filing past the coffin have on. It's the president lying in state not a trip to Disney World!
I agree with what you're saying about funereal attire in general, but I believe that people were specifically told to dress for the weather, as it was expected to be in the '90s and I'm sure people stood outside for hours. A think a bit of informality in this case was preferable to having lots of folks suffer from heatstroke.

guinevere

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
bronxgirl said:
Laura Bush is a librarian by training, not a scientist. And as First Lady, she's never openly taken a position opposed to her husband.

Laura Bush has stated that she is pro-choice.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Strange hearing applause of any kind at a funeral. That would NEVER happen at a Jewish funeral.

As for dress, San Diego is very casual so funerals are not a dress-up event. I've been to two funerals in two months; I wore black pants, and many people were not dressed up at all. No one cared--the families were just happy that people cared enough to come and pay respects. A couple of years ago, I had to sing at a funeral, and I dressed up much more. I wore a black dress.

I was interested in the fact that Ron Jr.'s wife appeared to be so much more emotional and broken up than any of the children.

Last edited:

skatepixie

On the Ice
I had the hardest time watching as Mrs Reagan put her head on the casket for the final farewell. It was like she knew that after 52 years they were going to be fully seperated in that instant and she didnt want to leave...