Thoughts on a pop music ban for one season? | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Thoughts on a pop music ban for one season?

cl2

Final Flight
Maybe everyone should be made to skate to John Cage's 4'33". Hey, it's exactly the right length for the LP!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
True, in the sense that if a person says, "I like this," you cannot jump in and say, "No, you don't."

But tastes, though they cannot be disputed, can perhaps be elevated? ;)

What indeed. And thumbsup to any post that sends me scurrying to Google for a translation. :)

When a post starts out by saying I want less pop music and more classical because it's a "cry for sanity," then yes, I have real problems with that attitude.

When a post starts out by saying I want less pop music and more classical because it's a "cry for sanity," then yes, I have real problems with that attitude.

I think these words of the original post were intended as a way to introduce the topic with humor and deliberate tongue-in-cheek exaggeration. I don't believe that anyone thinks that liking pop music is insane.

This is just a way of saying, "I wish we could back off from these popular vocals and go back to skating to classical music. What do you all think?"

As the Bye-Bye Birdie lyric goes, "Why can't they be like we were, perfect in every way. What's the matter with kids today?" :)

Last edited:

Tutto

Record Breaker
I think these words of the original post were intended as a way to introduce the topic with humor and deliberate tomgiue-in-cheek exaggeration. I don't believe that anyone thinks that liking pop music is insane.

This is just a way of saying, "I wish we could back off from these popular vocals and go back to skating to classical music. What do you all think?"

As the Bye-Bye Birdie lyric goes, "Why can't they be like we were, perfect in every way. What's the matter with kids today?" :)

Thank you MM! You understand me :luv17:

I guess it is not enough to put in a smiley. 'Please note THIS IS A JOKE' might be of more use?!

I've been thinking a lot about skaters' love affair with vocals and got an idea that maybe skaters feel less nervous and less 'lonely' in that big arena hearing a human voice as opposed to just instrumental music, maybe it takes away some of the stress of competing? What do you think? Probably another mad idea of mine... ah well

TT

Last edited:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
1st i am against that proposition OP soz :laugh:
I TOTALLY understand your frustration since all those "I put a spell on you" or Muse programs honestly give me rampage thoughts, but so do all the POTO, the Artist, les Misérables, Carmen or Gershwin programs (even when instrumental). Even if all those are not classical music, I don't think they are pop either so my problem would stay.

which brings me to my second argument: what is pop? Who would determine if a song is pop or not and with what process? Would rock songs still be allowed? Electro? What about Pop-rock or electro-pop. What about rnb? I think it is really difficult to categorize music tbh.

And even if I agree with you on the blatant overuse of certain musics (choreographers I am watching you, I know you can choreograph to more than 10 pieces of music), I don't think restricting the genre of music allowed is gonna be a solution.

Tutto

Record Breaker
1st i am against that proposition OP soz :laugh:
I TOTALLY understand your frustration since all those "I put a spell on you" or Muse programs honestly give me rampage thoughts, but so do all the POTO, the Artist, les Misérables, Carmen or Gershwin programs (even when instrumental). Even if all those are not classical music, I don't think they are pop either so my problem would stay.

which brings me to my second argument: what is pop? Who would determine if a song is pop or not and with what process? Would rock songs still be allowed? Electro? What about Pop-rock or electro-pop. What about rnb? I think it is really difficult to categorize music tbh.

And even if I agree with you on the blatant overuse of certain musics (choreographers I am watching you, I know you can choreograph to more than 10 pieces of music), I don't think restricting the genre of music allowed is gonna be a solution.

Well I guess there is no solution full stop but the discussion was fun (most of the time) And there were some sound suggestions on how to limit repeated use of music (any genre) if you have energy and patience to go through the whole thread.
Agree that choreographers are the ones to blame they are not doing their job properly- skaters have enough on their plate.

Last edited:
I've been thinking a lot about skaters' love affair with vocals and got an idea that maybe skaters feel less nervous and less 'lonely' in that big arena hearing a human voice as opposed to just instrumental music,…

I would tend to doubt it. What could be more comforting and friendly than a rich cello strain, or a lively oboe? :)