Thoughts on a pop music ban for one season? | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Thoughts on a pop music ban for one season?

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
I started watching figure skating on TV when I was a kid in the late 1970s (yeah, I’m getting on with age) and the first performance that I can really remember was Robin Cousins skating to Michael Jackson’s Don’t Stop ‘til You Get Enough in the gala on Lake Placid Olympics 1980. Radical stuff at that time, I think! It WAS different and caught my young mind completely and lured me into becoming a skating fan.

My personal musical tastes go more towards jazz, pop and rock than classical (or maybe “art” music) and in those genres I’m more into the alternative styles than mainstream pop - for example, I watched the last American Idol season and realized that I did not recognize ANY Kelly Clarkson songs. So, most of the pop music (understood in a very broad definition including rock and jazz) used in figure skating is not something that I would listen to outside that context.

I was very curious to see what happened when the vocals/lyrics became allowed, because I expected a lot of mainstream pop, but actually that did not really happen, did it? I think it went more the way of digging out the old warhorses and using them with lyrics. That first season featured a lot of those music cuts, but as some calculations in this thread have shown, things maybe changed a bit already last season. But I do still think that “pop music” is not used as commonly as I would have expected initially. And even in that category the tendency is towards using already familiar stuff instead of trying to find something new. Also, what I had particularly hoped for with the use of lyrics was that we might get rid of the (mostly rather horrible) instrumental versions of many a pop classic and thishas not happened either.

It feels to me that whatever the style of music, the tendency is towards choosing the safe and familiar option rather than going for something else. What I appreciate is clever/unsual/imaginative choices of music and good cuts of whatever kind of music is used. The most well-known melodies of Mozart/Rachmaninov/Tchaikovsky/Queen/Beatles/Lara Fabian stuffed into one performance is really never a very good choice?

I also started to think about the discussions of allowing lyrics (and consequently maybe more current mainstream pop music?) to increase the popular interest for figure skating. I don’t know whether this action will have the desired effect unless also the content and approach to skating programs changes a little bit. I thnik that until the early 2000s there was relatively little competition to figure skating in the arena of combining movement and music particularly on TV – some art dance (classical ballet, contemporary dance) fairly regularly, some ballroom, but relatively little else. (This was in Finland, might have been different in other countries!?) One of the reasons why I was drawn to figure skating instead of starting to follow art dance or ballroom was the variety skating offered in choices of music, style, etc. within the limits of competitive rules.

Reality TV brought along dance competitions and in connection with them all kinds of styles of dance from street dance to classical ballet and back again. Ballroom got a kick with Dancing with the Stars style programming etc. And what these programs offer is short themed routines set predominantly to various kinds of pop music, even when it’s ballroom. Compared to that figure skating starts to look – and probably also sound – quite dated and boring.

Although there have been a couple of even fairly successful skating TV formats, these have not really caught on. The effect of the dance boom (which is beginning to disappear also?) has not become really visible in competitive (or even show) figure skating. As a competitive sport it is certainly a world of its own, but I think there could be room for change.

Banning some style of music in my mind is probably not the way to go about. What I would like to see are better choreographies with more clearly defined content whatever the style of music used is. However, there is a strong tendency to particularly appreciate performances set to preferably fairly abstract pieces of art/classical music (interpreting the music as it is instead of telling a story or some other aim in mind) which gives relatively little space to alternative approaches...

E

I started watching figure skating on TV when I was a kid in the late 1970s (yeah, I’m getting on with age) and the first performance that I can really remember was Robin Cousins skating to Michael Jackson’s Don’t Stop ‘til You Get Enough in the gala on Lake Placid Olympics 1980. Radical stuff at that time, I think! It WAS different and caught my young mind completely and lured me into becoming a skating fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpGOA3l57TY :)

Moria Polonius said:
I don't like jazz and jazz programs but I know lots of people like it…

Like all musical genres, jazz is a big tent. I know what you mean, though. I do not like the type of jazz where the objective seems to be to play as many notes on your horn as possible in a given amount of time. Louis Armstrong, the most influential jazz musician of all time, said about the progressive jazz (bebop) of the 1940s," "but who's playing the melody?" :)

eppen said:
I was very curious to see what happened when the vocals/lyrics became allowed, because I expected a lot of mainstream pop, but actually that did not really happen, did it?

I will be interested to see what will happen in the 2017-18 Olympic season. The contenders for Olympic medals will have to go with "Olympic medal-winning music." If the skaters don't take their music selections seriously, the judges won't either. On down the line maybe some skaters to go with light-weight music hoping to make a splash and figuring that they are not going to win anything anyway.

It's like wearing a power suit to the office on casual Friday. That's the guy who will get the promotion. :yes:

Power dress = world championship: https://img.rt.com/files/2015.12/original/567d2b1ac361880a3c8b45dd.jpg

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Ugh, Robin does look very dated these days :biggrin: But in a way it's good to realize that we have moved on and that things have changed (and in very many ways for the better, methinks).

The "Olympic medal-winning music" that pleases the judges... :drama: Time for the safe and familiar and "serious". But is there a desired effect if everyone comes to work with a power suit on casual Friday?

e

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I didn't mind pop music or music with lyrics except few cases, but as this season started, I'm getting tired of pop music with a strong voice and horrible music cuts. :eek:hwell:

I didn't mind pop music or music with lyrics except few cases, but as this season started, I'm getting tired of pop music with a strong voice and horrible music cuts. :eek:hwell:

I agree. The "strong voice" only serves to detract from the skating.

Plus, the acoustics in the typical arena make it hard to hear the words. I think this acoustics problem is also why genres such as the wind concerto are not used for skating music. Without a crispness of sound quality, it just doesn't work.

Last edited:
The "Olympic medal-winning music" that pleases the judges... :drama: Time for the safe and familiar and "serious". But is there a desired effect if everyone comes to work with a power suit on casual Friday?

Well, if everyone wears a power suit except one or two guys, at least that cuts down on the promotion pool. ;)

About pleasing the judges, um, yeah. These skaters are trying to win the Olympic gold medal.

But maybe someone will surprise us even so. In any case there are plenty of skaters down in the middle of the pack who figure they have nothing to lose, might as well go for it. :yes:

LRK

Record Breaker
I agree. The "strong voice" only serves to detract from the skating.

Plus, the acoustics in the typical arena make it hard to hear the words. I think this acoustics problem is also why genre's such as the wind concerto are not used for skating music. Without a crispness of sound quality, it just doesn't work.

I think that's what happened to Astakhova/Rogonov with their SP at the test skates, if I'm not mistaken. Hence they've now changed their SP.

TGee

Record Breaker
While I'm likely covering ground that has surely been well turned over somewhere in the preceding ....... pages, for me the key issue is that the move to vocals was in some way a strategic decision to increase figure skating's appeal to younger audiences.

Not sure if there's sufficient data to see if it's working in terms of increasing audiences, but it won't be able to do much if all the replay streams on you tube and other video boards are blocked when current music is identified.

katha

On the Ice
While I'm likely covering ground that has surely been well turned over somewhere in the preceding ....... pages, for me the key issue is that the move to vocals was in some way a strategic decision to increase figure skating's appeal to younger audiences.

Not sure if there's sufficient data to see if it's working in terms of increasing audiences, but it won't be able to do much if all the replay streams on you tube and other video boards are blocked when current music is identified.
Yes, so much of figure skating is taking place via internet viewing and discovering skaters through internet videos. TV presence has drastically decreased in many countries. Having many performances blocked and totally unavailable for viewing because of music rights won't help.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
^ anything can be done well but I find it much easier to listen to overused pieces of classical music repeatedly during the season that to overused pop. That's where the difference lay. The Moonlight Sonata is still easy on the ear even when you hear it for the 20th time. 'Take Me to the Church' is quite enough once. If you notice I don't proposed to ban it forever - just for a trial season as a challenge for skaters & choreographers

De gustibus non est diputandum.

Alas, it doesn't stop people from thinking their personal taste should rule the roost.

Just saying.

Tutto

Record Breaker
De gustibus non est diputandum.

Alas, it doesn't stop people from thinking their personal taste should rule the roost.

Just saying.

It certainly doesn't stop me from voicing an opinion...

Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur
Well, if we all follow this admirable policy what would happen to this board?:)

Besides, after some choices the skaters made this season I am beginning to think that pop is not that bad after all ( I know I am being contrary but here it is!)
Liza T's SP - need I say more?
I'd love to know though who's idea was it to pair the divine Mozart's masterpiece with a tango...sure Wolfgang Amadeus is spinning in his grave...

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
is there a ban costumes thread? I have always been a supporter of nude figure skating

Totally off-topic, but since you mentioned nude figure skating...

Did you know that there is a former skater from your fair country who recently got married at ...erm, what's the best way to put it?... an "adult film" convention.

I have no idea whether it was just a stunt or whether it was actually legally binding. But from the few clips I've seen, it looked like a proper wedding, albeit WAAAAAAY over the top (put it like this: she arrived on a unicorn!)

Oh, and don't worry - everybody was fully clothed. ;)

CaroLiza_fan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
what??????? who is it?
Totally off-topic, but since you mentioned nude figure skating...

Did you know that there is a former skater from your fair country who recently got married at ...erm, what's the best way to put it?... an "adult film" convention.

I have no idea whether it was just a stunt or whether it was actually legally binding. But from the few clips I've seen, it looked like a proper wedding, albeit WAAAAAAY over the top (put it like this: she arrived on a unicorn!)

Oh, and don't worry - everybody was fully clothed. ;)

CaroLiza_fan

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Bad idea.
There are many amazing pop music programs, and there are many terrible classical music programs, for example.

I think that if you don´t like some music styles to a point you have to mute performances, that may be your personal issue, not a FS issue, and other people may be actually enjoying what you muted, and muting stuff you liked. There is no such thing as "all bad" genre / style or "all good" genre / style.

Finally, I´m actually happy to see pop music in FS programs, as its more interesting to many new / young fans. For instance, many of the teenagers I know who could follow FS, find many classical music programs hard to relate to.

Now, warhorses are a whole different issue ;) You complain about 'I put a spell on you', other people may complain about 'Carmen'. Same issue ;)

Exactly.

:agree:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
what??????? who is it?

Come on, you don't honestly expect me to reveal all publically. This is, after all, supposed to be a family forum.

I've sent you a PM! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:
De gustibus non est disputandum.

True, in the sense that if a person says, "I like this," you cannot jump in and say, "No, you don't."

But tastes, though they cannot be disputed, can perhaps be elevated? ;)

Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur.

Well, if we all follow this admirable policy what would happen to this board?

What indeed. And thumbsup to any post that sends me scurrying to Google for a translation. :)