U.S. Nationals - Ladies Short Program - LIVE!!!!!!! with PBP | Page 5 | Golden Skate

U.S. Nationals - Ladies Short Program - LIVE!!!!!!! with PBP

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
RGirl, Mark Mitchell (U.S. bronze medalist) was left off of the Olympic team so that Todd Eldridge could go in 1992.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Bebe deserved second and not that far behind Sasha though not that far above Emily. Kimmie's PCS scores higher than Bebe? Her Skating Skills higher than Bebe's? Bull!!! Fun to see the other ladies for once. Liked Stephanie Rosenthal's SP a lot. A Jewish Mormon hip hopper.

Panther2000 said:
Sasha wasn't wonderful, good but not wonderufl. But agree about Bebe, but, she is so up & down with her skating the judges aren't giving her the benefit of the doubt. & I do think that Emily is getting a bit of a gift for family relations. But, I agree also that the hughes period are chopper skaters. they aren't smooth. It is herky Jerky & choppy. Rough is more like it. They aren't graceful & lack real rythm(sp) & dancing skills& it shows, in their skating.

But, Bebe should be in second.
I promised I was going to keep my mouth shut, but...

I think Emily Hughes has a beautiful style of skating and one that is full of rhythm and dance skills. It's just an athletic, aggressive style that uses a quality of abandon rather than control, which to some or even many might seem rough. I like the way Emily skates as much as I like the way BeBe skates. To me it's like BeBe is more "balletic," speaking broadly, and Emily is more "modern." They both got the audience on their feet, which I think is a testament to the genuine and unique energy each brings to her skating.

So far I haven't seen Emily get any "Hughes Points," but as I said before, I'll have to look at the judges' score sheets after the LP for both Emily and BeBe to see if it seems like any hanky panky is going on.

Although I was thinking as the coverage started and there was all the talk about how these USN were REALLY Sasha's to lose that if Emily pulled a Sarah and skated away with the championship--legitimately so--then the sports medicine researchers will be beating a path to Mr. and Mrs. Hughes's door to study their genes. Their sons aren't in pro hockey, are they?

Rgirl

P.S. Tenorguy: If I could find a great sample and rip into some good hip hop, I would. But right back atcha and thanks.:biggrin: Plus, Herbie Hancock is ancient, like older than I am. So no excuse you youngins. Learn your combination of jazz and hip hop while you can.:rock:

Last edited:
Piel said:
RGirl, Mark Mitchell (U.S. bronze medalist) was left off of the Olympic team so that Todd Eldridge could go in 1992.
I remember that. So was the "hmm" about Mark being on the panel--the 15-year late consolation prize, so to speak--rather than anything about Michelle? As I'm writing this, I think I get it, lol.

Rduh

Piel said:
Emily Hughes reminds me of Irina.
ITA! Which is why I think some people react so strongly to Emily, both positively and negatively.

I was even going to mention the similarities I saw between Emily and Irina but I thought, "I'll just open up the, 'There goes Rgirl and her Irina is just a different kind of dancer stuff again' can of worms."

But if you actually want giant, headache-giving analyses about why both Emily and Irina have great dance qualities but ones that differ from skaters such as BeBe, Michelle, and certain other skaters, just read my posts about Irina. Then people will only have to read one set of posts to disagree with.:clap:

Rgirl

Shutting up for the night. "South Park" reruns are on.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
The hmmm....was I wonder if his personal experience of being left off of the team because Todd was given a bye will influence his decision about Michelle?

Mafke

Medalist
Piel said:
The hmmm....was I wonder if his personal experience of being left off of the team because Todd was given a bye will influence his decision about Michelle?

I don't think he'd qualify as human if he didn't ... I'm not saying it would unduly influence him, but of course he's going to be thinking about it.
I would also assume his first sympathies would be with whoever would be bumped (even if he does decide that the best chance for the best overall team performance would entail sending the Kwanster).

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
BeBe's skating reminds me of Liz Manning.

I nominate the fan spiral as one of the ugliest moves in FS. There is nothing graceful or pretty about it. I'm sure it must be difficult, but it looks like it's only purpose of it is to flash the audience. This move is worse that the BC.

Now, two questions.

How do you think Kwan would have done tonight if she would have given one of her usual SP's? I think she would have won.

Given how close it is between Emily and BeBe and with Czisney's falls. If after the LP, the margin between second and third is still this close do you think Kwan will receive her bye?

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Mafke said:
I don't think he'd qualify as human if he didn't ... I'm not saying it would unduly influence him, but of course he's going to be thinking about it.
I would also assume his first sympathies would be with whoever would be bumped (even if he does decide that the best chance for the best overall team performance would entail sending the Kwanster).

Actually he sounded more positive toward Kwan than the other guy. Mitchell said that "even though she didn't compete much when she did compete she did very well". The other guy from the committee after they listed the competitions that would be taken into consideration and seeing Kwan had only competed in one of them said "the rules are the rules".

jesslily

Final Flight
Bebe should be placed 2nd, maybe 1st. Alissa is held up too high. I feel she should be place after Katy Taylor.

Piel said:
How do you think Kwan would have done tonight if she would have given one of her usual SP's? I think she would have won.
A fully heathly and well-trained Kwan would have won easily, IMHO -- no contest. The Michelle we saw at Marshall's would have finished about 10th. :cry:

MM

Stephanie!!!!!

Rgirl said:
Seriously, though. Whatever you think of Stephanie's music, choreography, and/or skating, she looked as if she was having a genuine blast out there. And oh my heck! She's from Utah!

Though her interpretation of "Rockit" doesn't quite come up to Ilia Kulik's. But then, I'm biased. Still :bow: for Stephanie's energy and guts. This is one of the things I love about seeing USNs live. We'd never see any of these "outside the box" skaters if the competition was taped.
Forget Sasha, forget Michelle. Send Stephanie to Turino! We'll show 'em what the good ol' U.S. of A. is all about!!

I thought the ESPN coverage was fantastic. (Not sure if Kurt and Kat added anything, though.) All those wonderful skaters who are not going to make the podium, but still -- you go, girls (and boys)!

I can't wait for Saturday!

Mathman :) :agree:

PS. Does Katy Taylor look a lot like Tara Lipinski? Even the costume, LOL.

Last edited:

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Rgirl--I think one reason why Sasha's spins have been so slow is because she's mastering new positions, working on things she never has before (ie a Beillmann). I think that's the problem with a LOT of skaters, not just Sasha; now to get the maximum impact for points you've gotta do hard stuff that a lot of these folks haven't really ever done, like the changes of edge, the BTH spins (gag), etc. Oh how I miss Sasha's classic layback...[/QUOTE]

I have to give cudo's to Sasha changing and trying different spins every year. She could be like Irina and just do the same spins every year..lol Don't get me wrong I love Irina, but it would seem to me that the judges would appreciate someone trying new spins/positions year after year...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I hope somebody taped this coverage!!! I'm sure Doggygirl will be posting a long and detailed report sometime soon, but a few words from the arena in defense of Emily.

I would have had Emily and Bebe almost tied with the edge to Emily--Rgirl is right-Emily has huge power while skating and is FAST. In my notes, I have down POWERFUL!! and that's what the performance was. And her spirals are absolutely awesome. She gets into the position so quickly-it just gives you the kind of shiver down your neck that Nicole Bobek used to. And she has one of the best Biellmann spins here. It's odd to be at a competition where Sasha is the third best spinner. What happened there???

Emily is a tall girl for a skater. It increases her presence on the ice, particularly when doing spirals. And check out the jump entries. You can tell her lutz from her flip (unlike Sasha). She skates relatively mature for a girl her age.

But I loved Bebe too, just for different things. She probably didn't get as high a GOE for the jumps as she might have because they don't go straight up, and they didn't have much flow going out, which has always bothered US judges more than international judges, in general. The spirals were good, but not WOW. I loved her final spin, where the head goes back in triumph.

Sasha--definitely the class of the field here, but I didn't enjoy her skate. She looked small, pale, and colorless, skating with my upstairs bathroom bathmat wrapped around her waist, and with one sleeve dragging for reasons I don't understand. She skated with no connection to the music whatever, which seems to happen when she is concentrating, which she was. Her jump entries and exits still drive me crazy. And what I have in my notes, was if Michelle skated her SP the way she usually did, Sasha is so in second here, this time. And her spins, which used to be to die for, are now not that wonderful. She should leave the Biellmann to Irina, Alissa and Emily, and go for the excellent rotational speed. She not only didn't get a good position on it, it travels, and she has trouble holding it for the 2 rotations. Kudos for trying it, but ....

Kimmie is a girl who has had a publicist since she was 11 or maybe 9, whatever, this girl is hugely overhyped IMO. She looks very juniorish on the ice--good instincts perhaps, but a long, long way to go. Somebody should do something with her arms-all the movements seemed still and blocky to me. And she doesn't think well on her feet. She could have pulled a 2t out of her ears (as Emily did with a similiar lutz landing) after that 3lz-but she had to take steps so she could get a 3t-which was just dumb. She's young, and she'll learn, I presume. And someone please do something with her hair-that skinned back look is no good for her.

Alissa-gave a headcase performance and got a gift-less said the better.

On the other hand, Amber did a great 3t/3t, and really got into that Moon river music. As a performance, rather than as a competitive program, hers was my 2nd favorite after Stephanie Rosenthal's "techno funky hiphop" rendition of The Robot. If I were Geico, I'd hire her to have her do the Robot with the gecko.

(Slinks away into hiding again)

flying camel

Medalist
Those Hughes girls fight for everything. That is the secret to there success.
That is the worst SP I have seen in the US in years. What is going on? We don't have any stars waiting in the wings. I guess Kimmie and Alissia were feeling the pressure. BeBe finally let all that experience work for her instead of against her. I don't know if she can hold on. She has never been a good freeskater. Alissia was held up because the judges know we don't have anything better under her. She will skate better in the long. She has nothing to loose.
Sasha was Wonderderful. She is such a beautiful skater. Her flip did not look two footed to me. I hope she does a beautiful long. I can't wait. Didn't some of those coaches look scary? Whew! I would be scared to send my kids to some of them.

Last edited:

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Well, I liked Stephanie's program. I thought it was refreshing and fun. And those old archaic, stiff judges can go suck rotten eggs.:rofl: I feel much better now. If only more skaters would just take a chance on music outside the much used classical.....oh well. (Must be why I loved Kwan's MM even though it was chacked thanks to those types of judges)

Sasha-I did not like her outfit except for the skirt. I thought she looked slow and methodical, but I also realize she had been ill, so I gave her the benefit of the doubt. I do believe Dick Button was referring to her exit edge oh her flip not the entering edge. I think she deserves 1st place, but only because she stood up. I just don't get her skating this year for some reason. Just bores me, I suppose.

Emily-I love her. I just thought she was dynamic, but I still would have had Bebe ahead of her and possibly above Sasha.

I also don't get Kimmie and the hype surrounding her. And I felt really bad for Alissa. She had such a chance and she's such an elegant skater.

And I'm going to just say this: If I have to listen to Kurt and Kat gush over Sasha endlessly, over and over again, I will absolutely throw up. I couldn't stand the love fest for Kwan last year and I can't stand the love fest for Sasha. I'm sorry but I've never really enjoyed Sasha's gumby moves at all. And I'm with Dick Button on all this catch foot stuff. But I did not need to listen to "she's a feather in the woods and you just wanna hold your breath so as not to have her fly away" crap. Good grief! Yes, Kwan is my favorite skater, but I don't like having her crammed down my throat either. There were so many neat skaters to watch last night that I was really impressed even if they went splat.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Bebe Wuz Robbed!!!!!!

BeBe wuz robbed...of 2nd place in the SPs, that is!!!! Hughes has propped up big time. Look at Emily's sloppy combo jump again, while BeBe was perfect, with just as much energy & pizazz, not to mention an overall leaner look. Hughes truly grates on my nerves but ya have to hand it to her -- she a pushy gal who punches things out at the right time.

Sasha? Magnificent!!! She's clearly the class of the field and there's no way that she can be denied first place this time around. Hell will freeze over before Sasha Cohen loses this gold medal. :rock:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
DORISPULASKI said:
I
I would have had Emily and Bebe almost tied with the edge to Emily--Rgirl is right-Emily has huge power while skating and is FAST. In my notes, I have down POWERFUL!! and that's what the performance was.

But I loved Bebe too, just for different things. The spirals were good, but not WOW. I loved her final spin, where the head goes back in triumph.

Sasha--definitely the class of the field here, but I didn't enjoy her skate.

Kimmie is a girl who has had a publicist since she was 11 or maybe 9, whatever, this girl is hugely overhyped IMO.

Alissa-gave a headcase performance and got a gift-less said the better.

Stephanie Rosenthal's "techno funky hiphop" rendition of The Robot. If I were Geico, I'd hire her to have her do the Robot with the gecko.
QUOTE]

Doris, I totally agree 100% ... :clap: :clap:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
From what I could see on TV Stepahanie got the best reaction from the audience Tom Collins will grab her for part of his tour, I think.

So, what are your feelings about the Olympic team as things stand now? Has Bebe had any international experience...and does it matter?

Last edited: