U.S. Regional Championships (includes bye info) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

U.S. Regional Championships (includes bye info)

feraina

Record Breaker
Well, still don't know how Jiang did, even though the SP has ended.

But Emily placed second behind Taylor Firth in the NA regionals SP. A bit depressing, if not unexpected. Let's see how it all plays out in the LP.

ChrisH

On the Ice
Wow, Nina Jiang scored 81 in the Novice ladies qualifying FS ...

Nina Jiang is 11 now, so 16 in 2014 and 20 in 2018 ...

Too bad Nina won't be able to do JGP like the previous two novice championships (Maxwell & Secundy), even if she wins the novice division at National's. She will only be 11.
12 by the time the JGP starts again next year. She'll be age eligible for the 2010-2011 season, so yes, you'll have to wait two years.

For comparison, at 2008 National's, the top novice ladies FS scored 73 (Marissa Secundy), 70 (Felicia Zhang), and 70 (Agnes Zawadski).
Well, perhaps Elle and Agnes can at least earn us 2 ladies per JGP event so that Nina can get going right away. ;)

---
But Emily placed second behind Taylor Firth in the NA regionals SP. A bit depressing, if not unexpected. Let's see how it all plays out in the LP.
Not depressing, methinks. If you look at Emily's best summer competition score vs. this regionals score, her progress is encouraging.

Taylor Firth Skate Chautauqua [53.01] 90.35 143.36 NA
Joelle Forte Liberty [49.31] 80.35 129.66 NA
Emily Hughes Middle Atlantics [44.58] 66.26 110.84 NA
Amanda Gordon Moran Memorial [40.28] 67.55 107.83 NA
Tara Jordan Florida Open [28.9] 56.38 85.28 NA
http://unseenskaters.blogspot.com/2008/09/senior-ladies-top-ijs-scores-by-region.html

1 Taylor Firth Jamestown SC 53.62 32.47 21.15 0.00
2 Emily Hughes SC of New York 51.26 28.61 22.65 0.00
3 Joelle Forte SC of New York 46.06 28.41 17.65 0.00
4 Amanda Gordon Amherst SC 44.35 24.85 20.50 1.00
5 Allison Krein SC of New York 32.09 18.89 14.20 1.00 17
http://web.icenetwork.com/events/detail.jsp?id=47069

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
Not depressing, methinks. If you look at Emily's best summer competition score vs. this regionals score, her progress is encouraging.

I guess it's a glass half empty or half full. Yeah, she's progressing, but she has her first GP assignment coming up in one month, and school is now in full swing. But anyway, if she gets over 100 in the LP, then I'd say that she's in okay shape for the GP.

liketotally

On the Ice
Hmm.. is there something wrong with the results, or did the top 5 junior ladies all get higher scores in the SP than the top senior lady at the Eastern Great Lakes Regionals? :confused:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
No, this is not at all unusual to see at Regionals. The more competitive Senior Ladies often get byes through Regionals (due to international assignments) and Junior/Novice Ladies are often the more competitive/deeper fields and capable of higher scores than the Seniors.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I guess it's a glass half empty or half full. Yeah, she's progressing, but she has her first GP assignment coming up in one month, and school is now in full swing. But anyway, if she gets over 100 in the LP, then I'd say that she's in okay shape for the GP.
IMO, if Hughes can reach 80-85 points in her FS today, it would be "good enough" for now. (I prefer to set lower expectations for all skaters anyway. ;))

Nigel

On the Ice
Wow, Nina Jiang scored 81 in the Novice ladies qualifying FS, with Dinh and Schmidt not far behind at 79 and 78. That's phenomenal! These girls probably all landed two triples.

For comparison, at 2008 National's, the top novice ladies FS scored 73 (Marissa Secundy), 70 (Felicia Zhang), and 70 (Agnes Zawadski).

I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out in the SP and LP!

The U.S. is well position for not only the 2010 and 2014 Olympics (Caroline & Mirai will be 20, Rachael 21, Ashley 22), but also the 2018 Olympics. Nina Jiang is 11 now, so 16 in 2014 and 20 in 2018. Lauren Dinh I think is similar to her in age. Not sure about Schmidt. I mean, who knows if these same girls will make it all the way to 2014 or 2018. But the U.S. ladies field is very deep and has very promising girls coming out through the pipeline.

Too bad Nina won't be able to do JGP like the previous two novice championships (Maxwell & Secundy), even if she wins the novice division at National's. She will only be 11.

There have been others too young to go out on the JPG following the Novice Championships at US Nationals. Flatt was too young to go to JGP following her 2005 Novice win in Portland as she was 12 yrs old following July 1st of the season she won Novice. She had to wait another year (and WD from JGPs that season due to back injury). Flatt finally went out on the JGP circuit last year...

feraina

Record Breaker
Oh, yes, you are right. Well, Nina would be in good company.

Lexie Hood, btw, pulled up to third in the SP, behind Nina and Lauren. This would have been my guess of the top three before the competition.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
I'm still confused. Do the top novice ladies(4?5?6?) at regional championships need to do another competition in order to advance to the National championships?

childfreegirl

Final Flight
I'm still confused. Do the top novice ladies(4?5?6?) at regional championships need to do another competition in order to advance to the National championships?

Yes. Skaters 1-4 novice-senior advance to sectionals. The top four from each sectional advance to nationals, plus byes.

feraina

Record Breaker
The results have been posted on icenetwork.

Nina wins SW novice division, even though she was second in the FP (72.35). She didn't skate nearly as well as she did in the QR. Lauren Dinh also didn't skate as well as she did in the QR, but good enough to be first in FP. Lexie Hood placed third. So the top three are as expected, and Roxanna Schmidt is a close 4th. They will advance to Sectionals.
1 Nina Jiang Texas Gulf Coast FSC 115.29 1 2
2 Lauren Dinh Broadmoor SC 114.10 2 1
3 Lexie Hood Stars FSC of Texas 104.16 3 5
4 Roxanna Schmidt Rocky Mountain FSC 102.14

Emily placed third and, with a GP bye, is now qualified for National's. She scored 79.47 in the FP (third). That's the type of scores that the top novice ladies are getting, which a much shorter program. To me that doesn't look good at all, but maybe Sylvia would think otherwise. ;) Luckily for Emily, she won't have to compete at Sectionals, otherwise she might really not even manage to reach National's. Joelle Forte scored over 100, Taylor Firth scored over 90.
1. Joelle Forte SC of New York 147.48 3 1
2 Taylor Firth Jamestown SC 145.31 1 2
3 Emily Hughes SC of New York 130.73 2 3
4 Amanda Gordon Amherst SC. 115.09 4 4

Sdongxie

On the Ice
Oh no. Nina fell two times in CR.:cry::cry: Hope she can get all her triples as solid as a rock before sectionals.

feraina

Record Breaker
I guess this goes to show how strong Nina's skating is. Even with two falls, she still placed second in the FP and first over all.

Good luck to her at Sectionals!

ChrisH

On the Ice
The SW might not even be the toughest novice ladies regional, as there are two ladies with scores in the 120s (according to the scoretracker) in the UGL. It does look like the novice ladies pipeline is back up to capacity after a subpar year. I don't know what the ages of any of these other novices are. Even if they aren't as talented as Nina Jiang, at the moment they may be the better skaters.

Nina Jiang is currently on the same age-level track as Caroline and has placed better than Caroline at the "Junior Championships". (Mirai spent two years at the intermediate level and only caught up to Caroline when Caroline spent two years at the junior level. Rachael has been a year older at each level from juvenile to junior.) At age 11, Nina is getting credit for the 3S and 3T. Caroline said that she landed a 3Lo in competition at age 10. That she learned all the triples (except the 3A) at age 9 but that they were cheated. And that she landed the 3S and 2A at age 8. Documents can only verify that Caroline competed with the 3Lz, 3F, and 3T at age 12 but was still struggling with the jumps. (The USFS was transitioning from the 6.0 system to CoP system during the 2005-2006 season. Caroline's earliest scores and protocols show up then. Also, the younger skaters must have been in the process of adapting to the new scoring system.) Yes, it'll be interesting to track Nina's progress.

In the meantime, did you notice that if you add Agnes Zawadzki's SP score (54.46) with her qualifying FS score (105.60), you get 160.06? Agnes landed a clean 6 triple program in that qualifying FS, including 4 different type of triples: 3Lz, 3Lo, 3S, and 3T. :clap:

feraina

Record Breaker
As Mirai Nagasu's example shows, lack of success at lower levels doesn't mean a skater won't shine at the highest level, and at a young age, too. So while Nina Jiang has a lot of talent, in presentation, jumps, spins, basic skating skills, etc., we'll have to see if she will really turn out to be a super-star at the senior level.

One thing I worry a little about Nina is her jump consistency. She didn't do especially well in either the qualifying round (<60) or SP (7th) last year, but managed to pull out a winner in the FP. And now at this year's SW regionals, she fell twice in the FP. Hopefully these are freak incidents, and she'll get better in the future. After all, Mirai used to fall and under-rotate a lot, but suddenly everything cleaned up in 2007 & 2008.

What's amazing about Caroline is that she often got dinged for under-rotating her jumps throughout the years, but she rarely ever fell (her two falls in CoC last year were really unusual). She would under-rotate and still manage to come out of the jump perfectly balanced and even with some flow. That's really strange. Does she especially have under-rotation problems or is it just that she always competed against girls who were older, bigger, and more muscular? I just find it odd that she learned the jumps earlier than most girls, and yet has more problem fully rotating them than most (though with little consistency issues).

Sdongxie

On the Ice
In COP, a fully rotated but fallen triple has more value than a under-rotated triple.

That's why Jeff Buttle used to fell his quad but still put it in the program in 2005-2006 season.

Most of skaters didn't jump consistent when they were in the junior competitions, except for Caroline Zhang and Rachael Flatt, but some of them still got what they want.

There are so many incidents what can happen in the competition, that some mistakes should be allowed. For Nina, this year she put a new triple (triple toe loop) and a new triple combo (triple salchow double toe) in her program, she has to give much more attention than last year. However, even in last year's qualification, she fell on her triple salchow. So this year I can just imagine that she fell on her solo triple salchow and triple toe, that's acceptable.

I think her triples can be more and more stable just as her 2A when she become older.

In addition, it seems that Nina has really strong nerve which would make her success.

Last edited:

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Wow, Nina, two falls! Hope she'll land those jumps in sectionals.

Sdongxie, Jiang did not fall on 3S in last year's Q. She only did a 2S.

Here are some videos from last year's Jr. Nationals.
SP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSQ-HL2OK4Q

LP Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=492z7_FEzMg

LP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOwu_h8sm2E&feature=related

Detailed protocols are out
http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/events/200809/regionals-SW/novice-details.pdf

Nina Jiang's jump layout is very ambitious for novice level. Dinh is even more so.

In Qualifying free skate, she nailed all jumps including 2a, 2a+2t, 3s+2t, 3t, 3s.

Same in short program: 3s+2t, 3t, 2a.

Too bad about her free skate, she fell on 3S and 3T, but landed a 3S+2T.

Dinh has three types of triples including 3S, 3T and 3Lo.

Last edited: