U.S. Regional Championships (includes bye info) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

U.S. Regional Championships (includes bye info)

feraina

Record Breaker
Emily's jumps.
SP: 3f<, 3lz+2t, 2a
LP: 2a, 3f<, 2lz+2t, 3s<+2t, 3t<, 3s, 2a

Emily's jumps were always in danger of under-rotation, even when she was best at her jumps (for instance, 2005 at Junior Worlds). Now that her jumping ability has deteriorated, it's not surprising that she's under-rotating left and right. But she looked physically more fit at Middle Atlantics. Maybe it's just a matter of getting more training in, and she could still come back strong for her GP.

asparaguss

Rinkside
Now that her jumping ability has deteriorated, it's not surprising that she's under-rotating left and right. But she looked physically more fit at Middle Atlantics.
No, NOT more "physically fit." She only looked thinner. It never fails to amaze me how people in the skating world seem to equate "physically fit" with "thinner." In fact, thinner could simply mean weaker and more frail.

No wonder eating disorders are rampant in this sport. Emily was fine when she was fuller figured.

feraina

Record Breaker
No, NOT more "physically fit." She only looked thinner. It never fails to amaze me how people in the skating world seem to equate "physically fit" with "thinner." In fact, thinner could simply mean weaker and more frail.

No wonder eating disorders are rampant in this sport. Emily was fine when she was fuller figured.

I wasn't there in person, I was merely quoting from someone who was there and thought she looked "more fit, surprisingly fit". *shrug* Did you see her? Maybe it's more "thin" than "fit", but why is it a big deal in any case? Her "looking" fit or thin is just a matter of appearance. She can look fit without really being so.

AdamFan

Rinkside
I just watched Nina Jiang's programs. Her speed, edge quality, presentation and jumps are astounding for such a young skater. She's really improved over last year. Nina had the loudest applause from the crowd by far (even before she skated) and she handled the pressure of being the favorite very well. Has her coach produced any other notable skaters? Nina is a gem and appears to have better basics than Nagasu and Zhang. I just hope she can improve her Michelle Kwan-ish layback.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
I just watched Nina Jiang's programs. Her speed, edge quality, presentation and jumps are astounding for such a young skater. She's really improved over last year. Nina had the loudest applause from the crowd by far (even before she skated) and she handled the pressure of being the favorite very well. Has her coach produced any other notable skaters? Nina is a gem and appears to have better basics than Nagasu and Zhang. I just hope she can improve her Michelle Kwan-ish layback.

Nina has grown a lot taller compared to last year. Her triple jumps have good height, ice coverage and ample rotations for Jr. level skaters. She is still not very consistent with her triples though. She landed all her jumps in Qualifying group and short program, but fell twice in free skate. Hopefully she'll get more consistent in the upcoming months.

She is very good, but does not seem to have the extreme flexibility of Zhang and Mirai. I haven't seen her doing any bielman spin/spiral.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
I don´t think Nina Jiang is better or more promising than Lauren Dinh but her 2A is amazing.

AdamFan

Rinkside
I think Lauren Dinh is very promising, but she doesn't have the speed, edges or charisma of Nina. That being said, I think Lauren is wonderful and one who has the goods to make it down the road. I think Lexie Hood is wonderful, but just needs the jumps. Her layback is to die for.

Was Zhang already doing hyper-flexibility moves in Novice?

The one thing I find odd about Nina Jiang is that she never does a sit spin. Her coach has done a wonderful job with her thus far, but she might want to consider working with Callaghan/Eldredge on her spins and jumps. Jiang has done a lovely Ina Bauer in the past, but she doesn't have it in either of her new programs, IIRC.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
I don´t think Nina Jiang is better or more promising than Lauren Dinh but her 2A is amazing.

Nina Jiang is far superior. Lauren Dinh is just a very bland skater, she got lots of triples, but does not seem to have the power, speed & artistry.

By the way, my mistake, I just saw Jiang doing a good bielman spin in her short.
Jiang's camel spin is terrible, her spins are generally well centred and fast, but
some of her spin position needs major overhaul.

AdamFan

Rinkside
Does anyone know how to capture from icenetwork and put Nina's videos on youtube? IDK if it is just on mac, but the icenetwork media player isn't allowing me to fast forward. It gets annoying having to wait through 8-9 novice ladies to rewatch her program.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Does anyone know how to capture from icenetwork and put Nina's videos on youtube? IDK if it is just on mac, but the icenetwork media player isn't allowing me to fast forward. It gets annoying having to wait through 8-9 novice ladies to rewatch her program.

aaaaaa

feraina

Record Breaker
I just watched Nina's QR freeskate. She's grown up a lot since last year! She could easily pass for 13 (but she's only 11, right?). I think she has a great deal of natural talent, and she's done really well for an 11-year-old so far, but I agree with some posters above that it may be time for her to seek out another coach.

I don't like her arm movements, they looked effected. She needs to relax her shoulders, elbows, wrists, fingers, etc. Her 2A has good height and she has good posture on that jump, but she hunches over way too much on the 3S and 3T -- she looks like she's running out of space for her (now very long) legs on the landings. She skates with quite a bit of power and energy, so I think with a better jumps coach, she can correct her posture and landing and get more height on her jumps. I think the bad technique is what's keeping her from being consistent on her triples. And she will continue to have trouble with the harder triples for the same reason.

oleada

Record Breaker
Lauren Dinh is just a very bland skater, she got lots of triples, but does not seem to have the power, speed & artistry.

Is it necessary to be so rude about such a young skater? She's all of what, 12, how much artistry is she supposed to have?

I've watched both Jiang and Dinh; have yet to watch Lexie Hood's skates.

Of the two, I prefer Jiang. She has more presence on the ice and better presentation, although since they're so young, it's not something Dinh should worry much about yet. Her jumps aren't small, but they're not huge either. Her spins are well centered. That said, I agree with feraina - the tilt on her triples is quite noticeable (if I noticed, it must be ;)) and it'll definitely hurt her consistency. Her spins positions need work, particularly her layback. I wonder why she doesn't do a sit spin. I find the choice of "Chicago" for her SP to be a little inappropiate.

Dinh is more consistent and has better air position in her jumps, though they seem smaller than Jiang's. She's sloppier overall but has nicer spins (imo). Her spirals need a lot of work, though! And did she really have to skate to Turandot? Ugh.

That's my main wish for younger skaters - PICK FUN MUSIC!! You're only young once. They have so much time to select blah warhorses like Turandot and Carmen.

shopgirl543

Rinkside
It seems like novice is the hot level for this year. It's going to be a tough fight for Nationals at Midwesterns, with not only Lauren, Lexie, and Nina, but also the UGL girls that qualified are all very strong skaters.

skatemn

Spectator
I was looking at the some results for the UGL Novice Ladies, very impressive! McKinzie Daniels from what I can find is unbeaten this year, including wins at Stake Dallas including Nina Jiang, State Detroit and Broadmoor Open including Lauren Dinn and Lexie Hood. Kiri Baga won Liberty with many the of top skaters! It look like these UGL girls can really skate. Midwestern Sectionals Novice are extremly deep this year it should be very exciting.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Do´t forget Sydney Kolodziej who won the FS at UGL Regionals.

McKinzie Daniels 77.82 (A1) 38.31 77.98 116.29 UGL1
Kiri Baga 66.06 (B2) 42.71 72.79 115.50 UGL2
Sydney Kolodziej 67.81 (A2) 34.23 78.98 113.21 UGL3
Nina Jiang 81.00 (B1) 42.94 72.35 115.29 SW1
Lauren Dinh 79.96 (A1) 39.95 74.15 114.10 SW2

(from: http://unseenskaters.blogspot.com/2008/10/2009-midwestern-sectional-singles.html )

If you look at the scores in other U.S. regions it is a shame that one of these young ladies will not qualify for the U.S. Championships.

BTW: The Russian Novice skater Elizaveta Tuktamysheva reached at the Coupe den Nice earlier this month 127.15 points (45.38 , 81.77)

oleada

Record Breaker
Off topic, but since you brought it up, Tuktamysheva is a huge talent. She was born in 1997 and has all the triples. She had an extra combination at Nice, so her score could've been even higher. She's been attempting the 3T-3T this season (a weird choice, in my opinion, considering her toe-axel..), with mixed success. Her skating skills, speed and musicality are lovely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_66EreCuhq8

Another young Russian talent is Polina Shelepen. She is 13, but born after July 1st. She also has all the triples and landed the triple flip-triple loop at a competition in Moscow. It was downgraded in the SP but fully rotated in the LP. She also landed the 3Lz-3T-2T just this last week at the Russia Cup competition in Perm. Her presentation could be a lot better - given the right programs, I think she could be artistic (her current ones are blah). Her Biellman is fabulous.

Videos from September:
SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otTHmoovYKU
LP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a6fR7ouw-s awesome 3F-3Lo!

lcd

Match Penalty
Lauren's jumps - have a nice lift, then very quick rotation - kind of remind me of Caryn Kadavy's. Would be lovely to see her improve her level of expression. So much can change during these years. Will be exciting to watch

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

Did you use your mouse to pull the player status marker ahead? That works for me. Then you check the time indicator to see if you went too far.

It is definitely possible to capture videos off youtube, because the Shibutanis 2008 US Nationals OD appeared on youtube last year. However, ice network or youtube's own plagiarism police took it down almost as fast as it went up. And a good thing, since icenetwork could sue youtube (and the people who uploaded the videos), not to mention the criminal offense involved, which has fines and jail time.

Last edited: